JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCA CRT TV - R29SF0BA - Horizontal collapse

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: RCA CRT TV - R29SF0BA - Horizontal collapse Reply with quote

My "In-Laws" own this 68cm CRT TV.

RCA - Model R29SF0BA.
I believe the chassis is Akira 5P60.

The power and sound appear to be functioning fine.

The picture is collapsed to a ~1-2mm VERTICAL line running down the centre of the screen.

I know this is not the most common "collapse" - with vertical collapses being more usual - but this case is definitely a HORIZONTAL collapse, resulting in a single VERTICAL picture line.

If you play a DVD/watch TV etc, there is "activity" in this collapsed "picture", and sound is fine, so the set appears to be working well, apart from having no horizontal deflection, I think.

I've found a schematic/service manual for the Akira 5P60, and it looks like the same chassis - I put it here, if it helps:
http://designedandonline.com/stuff/Ch-5p60.pdf
All the schematics seem to be there, but it lacks the "troubleshooting" tips/procedures I think I would personally need to go any further, and it loses a little in translation, in places...

To give an idea of the writing style, it does contain this (totally unrelated) advice/instruction, which I share purely because it amused me, not because it has anything to do with fixing my problem... Very Happy
Quote:
When in repairing, we can replace E2PROM by other empty or unempty E2PROM, but you must initialize E2PROM to avoid unknown things.

Avoiding unknown things, is, I think, probably a good thing in general - but I guess one never knows...Surprised

Any pointers/tips/gotchas on the Horizontal problem would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Very Happy
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't do RCA in my shop. I have no hands-on experience with them - but I know a bit about them through a friend/former tech that did a lot of them.

First thing is to determine if it is a Thompson or a Technicolor set. Thompson will have "TCE" somewhere on the back near the model number. If it is a TCE then multiple bad solder connections in the tuner circuit are common. It takes a special solder and a lot of experience to get them fixed.

If it is a TTE or even worse, an "On-Electronics" set then I don't have anything to offer. Even another local shop that specializes in RCA won't touch them.

Around 2005, RCA reorganized and divested itself of a lot stuff. I know On-Electronics got the "Proscan" name. TTE/Technicolor might actually be a reorganized RCA, or it might be a completely different company. I have heard it both ways. I have no idea what the status of the GE label is currently.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
First thing is to determine if it is a Thompson or a Technicolor set. Thompson will have "TCE" somewhere on the back near the model number.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any such designation.

I wonder if maybe RCA is a different thing entirely here in Australia?

Anyway, I guess the next step is just going to have to be a good visual inspection, and hope I get lucky and can spot some obviously damaged part or bad solder joint - I'll get to that in the next couple of days.

Whilst I'm here, though - I can't resist sharing another piece of sound advice from the service manual:
Quote:
b. Don’t short any two soldering points, which should not be shorted and don’t touch any component, which should not be touched.

Ok, then... Cool
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old is the set?
Is it just a TV and not a combo (VCR, DVD) ?
(I couldn't find any info on that model number on my usual reference sites)
I think RCA stopped being RCA around 2005/2006.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about 7 or 8 years old, I think - just a TV - silver grey, the only really distinctive thing about it is that the so called "surround" speakers are in big cylinder shaped vertical compartments, with round grilles on the top of the set.

RCA stuff in Australia used to be sold a lot in our version of 'Big W' - almost as though it was their name brand - now that's shifted to AWA a bit.

Apart from the service manual I linked above, which seems to be the same chassis and odd shaped remote control, I can't find much. There's this - which I can't access the useful parts of: http://www.unitedtv.com.au/repairsdb.php?model_ref=R29SF0BA&brand_ref=RCA
and a few posts on various sites from people who have got the child lock "stuck on" - but not much else at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: