JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beta testers needed for RCA RCRP05B extender
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update on testing xshift-device:
Separating shift buttons made an enormous difference.
> After watching more signals, and in a more typical use than in an earlier experiments, a separate Xshift button does switch correctly most, if not all the time.. I think I only got stuck once in one device.
> Both shifts on one button reliably do not send correct signals to dev5 and dev6 when I press xshift-device.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I have a theory

If you are using Shift-Shift as the Xshift key, it could be possible that you are getting three shifts with a bounce of some kind.

Think of this:

1: the first shift key has the shiftmask set to $00, the key ($02) is ORed with the shiftmask and then tested to be Shift. The shift mask is set to $80 and then the remote goes to get the next key.

2: the second shift has the shiftmask set to $80 and the key is ORed with the shiftmask, which then tests to be Xshift. The shift mask is set to $C0 and then the remote goes to get the next key

3: now the third shift is pressed. The shiftmask is set to $C0 and the key is ORed with the shiftmask. This turns out to be XShift-Shift ($C2), which likely has no keymove associated with it. Since there is no keymove, the extender then "cloaks" the key back to the original shift key.

You could validate this by putting a keymove on Xshift-Shift that does something that you can detect and then see if it fires during "step 3" above.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xshift and shift on one button: Your theory of cycling maybe right.
I don't know how to make a macro on xshift-shift, but it works from the keyboard like you say - step 3, because we get back to the base device. Don't know whether this is equivalent to your idea of a macro on Xshift-shift. If not, I need more instructions.

Ever since you suggested trying xshift on a different button from shift I started thinking about the second paragraph of the old shift description (which is why I quoted it). But a nearly 100% time occurence?

So the bottom line might be the keybounce when shifts are on one button. This is a tricky situation - we want to detect two presses of the same shift, yet not see it as a keybounce Evil or Very Mad

Is this something that can/should/should not be changed?
If I'm the only person addressing this, I suspect the answer is no. I think mdavej said he has no issues. Don't know about other people. Hint, hint Smile

All this should be easy to test even without a widget (How can you live without a widget?). If you now have a, say TV device macro, make a Xshift-TV macro containing Dev_DVD,followed by DVD keysets and watch if the signals go to the TV or DVD. When Xshift-TV works, the destination should be DVD. When it fails, signals go to TV.

Request:
Would it be possible to somehow tell me what is the 'current device'?(Atlas needs it too) On 8910 I can press light and it'll show me DVD/setup code. Maybe we could have a button which will flash the device, and maybe double flash for dev4, dev5, dev6. I know an earlier proposal is to flash like this after other keysets run. But I'd like to know where I am before I press Power Smile or something else destructive.

Are we ready for official v1.0 yet?
R2-M0

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Would it be possible to somehow tell me what is the 'current device'?

Does "current device" even really mean anything under this extender? Given the way it mixes and matches devices with button groups, it seems like "current device" depends entirely on which button you're pushing at the time.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2-M0 wrote:
ElizabethD wrote:

Does "current device" even really mean anything under this extender? Given the way it mixes and matches devices with button groups, it seems like "current device" depends entirely on which button you're pushing at the time.

Correct, in the extender there are 6 "current" devices, one for each keyset.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Xshift and shift on one button: Your theory of cycling maybe right.
I don't know how to make a macro on xshift-shift, but it works from the keyboard like you say - step 3, because we get back to the base device. Don't know whether this is equivalent to your idea of a macro on Xshift-shift. If not, I need more instructions.

This would be a macro or something on Xshift-setup in the default extender or whatever your shift button is set to be.

ElizabethD wrote:

I think we're close, once we resolve this issue I don't think anyone has anything outstanding.

Should I double-blink or single blink on device key changes (on Set_Other) ???
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R2-M0 wrote:
ElizabethD wrote:

Let's say you have two receivers (like I do). And you want to Mute or power off one of them.

Do you really know which you'll act upon when you press Mute? That's why I want to know that the last device button I pressed was, in my case, dev6 done by XSHIFT-AUD, rather than AUD. So if we had a query button, it could flash something to remind me I'm (or not) in dev6 Smile

It gets funny with HT Pro (8910 relative) which sends radio signals as well. You might kill a box in another room. Happens here often. Doesn't make DH happy.

Is this all serious? Marginally so. But how else can we make sure Bill doesn't get bored with nothing to do Smile Twisted Evil Very Happy
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill isn't bored. He's working on porting this extender to the Insignia 3147 remote. I had thought at the time it came out that it would be an interesting remote, but now that I actually have one I'm not sure.

The Atlas 1056 backlit is still my favorite, if it only had the 8 devices like the RCA has I'd be very happy with it.

Not only that, I need to find a job!
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
This would be a macro or something on Xshift-setup in the default extender or whatever your shift button is set to be.
Ahhh... ok, thanks. We know the answer, so I'll probably not do it. I know Setup button can be used as an ordinary key but I never did it.

unclemiltie wrote:
ElizabethD wrote:

I think we're close, once we resolve this issue I don't think anyone has anything outstanding.

Should I double-blink or single blink on device key changes (on Set_Other) ???
I vote for double. There's one problem with this remote - finger covers the button, arrgh Sad are we going to see it?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
...working on porting this extender to the Insignia 3147 remote. I had thought at the time it came out that it would be an interesting remote, but now that I actually have one I'm not sure.
Please continue. It's more interesting once you get to know it Wink

I appreciate all your efforts immensely BTW, on the altlases, radio shacks, RCA and Insignia. Thanks.

Hate to be all gloom and doom, but IMO, this could be the end of the line for JP1 with JP1.4 yet to be cracked, so I say get all the extenders done that we can.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
I thought a bit more about blinking.
(1) CBL,TV,DVD,AUD,DVR - single blink
(2) dev4,dev5,dev6 - double blink or blink Play then the device button.

I wonder if we could define what to blink for virtual devices when Set_Other is done. Just before Set_Other is done we could include device index number to blink (0,1,2,3,7). That would permit to blink, for instance CBL when index is 0 or AUD button when index is 3. A change from what Vicky wrote, but I think it would be useful.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot more code...... The blink routines are the ones used in the remote and the device list is not contiguous for checking which are real and which are phantoms.

I'll look at it
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of fun with this extender. Thank you, Bill.

I have a way to find out which is the active/current device. Quite simple actually.
Using a harmless command such as what I have in the upgrades on the Dash button. Two of my devices had nothing there, so I added something similar to "-" for entering channel numbers. Pressing "-" button in the wrong context blinks, and the gear ignores it.

So really, some refinement of what and how blinks in the existing code is sufficient and will be more than cool to complete the picture.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can figure out how to blink the real devices once and the phantom devices twice using only about 10 extra bytes and it'll fit. I'm having a bit of a fight with the assembler right now since
Code:

LDC      W2,Table[W1]

won't assemble but

Code:

LDC     W1,Table[W2]

will assemble. For those Samsung experts, what the heck is going on here?

Oh, it's this little footnote in the instruction manual:

for format 5/6 (this instruction is 6) the src register cannot be W0 or W1!

Grrrrr
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just about ready to release V1.00 of this extender. The last thing that I wanted to get in was the blinking for Set_Other.

After the suggestion here from Liz, I did implement a single blink on "real" devices and a "double blink" on phantom devices. This can be disabled so that no blinks happen on phantom devices at activation through IR as previous. Liz has this version and is going to test it for me, but I'm pretty sure that it will work for her.

Any other changes before I let this one fly?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: