JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Using keymap for the first time and 2 oddities with 8910

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deacon Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:33 am    Post subject: Using keymap for the first time and 2 oddities with 8910 Reply with quote

Hey, been haunting these forums off and on for years, but it's time to get feet wet. I've got 2 8910s and a 9910. I'm trying to add some new devices to a couple of them and then get into customizing. I got Tommy's stupendous JP1.2/1.3 USB cable and the 1.1 adapter and have read configs from remotes and wrote one back to a remote as a test all succesfully. Now I need to create the new devices and then merge with other devices.

So, if I'm understanding the steps correctly, since I couldn't find an existing file for my device (a Sharp HT-SB300 sound bar.) I learned onto a clean remote all the keys from my soundbar remote and pulled them down with IR 8.03. I've configured the Setup tab of Keymap-master v9.21 per instructions and now I'm on the Functions tab.

2 things seem odd.

#1 the list of Functions (which seems to be a list of buttons before you edit it, doesn't include all the buttons on my remote, should it?) The L and M buttons aren't listed. (EDIT, figured this out I think, Functions is just a list of likely functions, it's on the Button Tab where you map functions to buttons that all buttons must be listed and they are so forget this question.)

#2 when I enter the EFC codes that I'm getting from IR, the HEX codes that are calculated match the ones I see in IR, but the OBC codes don't match, shouldn't they?

Thanks and thanks to all who've helped create these amazing tools. Pretty incredible stuff.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Using keymap for the first time and 2 oddities with 8910 Reply with quote

Deacon Crusher wrote:
Hey, been haunting these forums off and on for years, but it's time to get feet wet. I've got 2 8910s and a 9910. I'm trying to add some new devices to a couple of them and then get into customizing. I got Tommy's stupendous JP1.2/1.3 USB cable and the 1.1 adapter and have read configs from remotes and wrote one back to a remote as a test all succesfully. Now I need to create the new devices and then merge with other devices.

So, if I'm understanding the steps correctly, since I couldn't find an existing file for my device (a Sharp HT-SB300 sound bar.) I learned onto a clean remote all the keys from my soundbar remote and pulled them down with IR 8.03. I've configured the Setup tab of Keymap-master v9.21 per instructions and now I'm on the Functions tab.

2 things seem odd.

#1 the list of Functions (which seems to be a list of buttons before you edit it, doesn't include all the buttons on my remote, should it?) The L and M buttons aren't listed. (EDIT, figured this out I think, Functions is just a list of likely functions, it's on the Button Tab where you map functions to buttons that all buttons must be listed and they are so forget this question.)

You might want to read this post on Creating better upgrades

Quote:

#2 when I enter the EFC codes that I'm getting from IR, the HEX codes that are calculated match the ones I see in IR, but the OBC codes don't match, shouldn't they?

Thanks and thanks to all who've helped create these amazing tools. Pretty incredible stuff.

You should always work with OBC's. OBC's are the desired output. EFC's are an encoded version of the input.

See page 67 of IRHelpPDF for a more complete explanation of OBC vs EFC.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Deacon Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, got it all.

Was working towards full clean detailed upgrades and now get that OBC is what I should use.

thanks for the quick reply.
Deacon Crusher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, built my first 2 configs and one's a total bust and the other is a medium success.

If anyone is willing able to take a look at them and provide some advice that'd be great.

That one sort of works, but some very important buttons don't work. Change input on the device via buttons mapped to L1, L2 and L3.

This one is almost a complete failure.

Turns on the Blu-ray player and that's it.

Trying to add these to an existing config built over the years with help from one for all support and wav files, that works already with 4 or 5 devices that are already programmed on to a One for All 9910.

Files here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9332

Thanks
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, post your IR file since you're refering to the L buttons.
Also, please say exactly what is not working.
I have 8910 and its relatives and can try using the widget, but the KM file is not sufficient.
KM file looks ok IF and only IF your protocol and OBC numbers are ok.
I looked at your KM file

One other thing. If you have the learned signals saved in another IR file, post the IR file with the signals. It could be they're different from what the remote expects.
Deacon Crusher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. More details. Actually I get the file I created for my LG bd550 to work fine after some tweaking. So far looks like all buttons are supported. In order to do that I did 3 things, so not sure which one fixed it.

I deleted all key moves. I remapped what buttons where mapped to what functions so that no keymoves where created. And, and this was probably the key I filled in the main device and sub-device fields inside keymap master.

However, I tried the same stuff with the Sharp HT-sb300 and it's still not working and actually, after I deleted extra Learned signals from my profile (which I think where left over from before I started this project and where part of how I've been somewhat controlling that device with this remote already) it went from working some to not at all (so I think the mild support I was seeing was because of the Key learns that were in the over all remote profile and not because of partial support from the individual profile I build with keymap master.

The IR file with the non-functioning Sharpt ht-sb300 has been added to the zip file here:

and it's the misc audio with ID 2001. That's a file for a One for all 9910 and again at this point I can't control anything on that device with this profile.

I continue to feel after comparing behavior of keymap master when building profiles for the LG and for the Sharp that something odd is going on. I learned all the keys of the Sharp into my one for all and then pulled that down into IR. I did the same with my LG. When I look at the learned keys in IR and look at their EFC vs Hex vs OBC codes and then take them into keymap master there's a big difference. the LG codes that I enter into the OBC field in keymap auto generate HEX and EFC codes that match what I see in IR. The same is not true for the Sharp. IR will show codes for a learned key and when I enter the OBC into keymap master the Hex and EFC codes that it generates don't match. This seems odd/wrong and given I'm having a complete failure this seems like a good place to focus some attention??

I'm going to relearn the Sharp codes and I'll save that IR file and post it also and then if someone else is willing you can take them into keymap master and you'll see what I mean.

Here's an IR file for a one for all 9910 that has a rebuilt version from scratch now that I feel a little more comfortable with the tools, of the codes for the Sharp and they still don't work at all. It's on rcvr/amp as a misc audio device 2002. I also built a version using the EFC codes instead of OBC codes and that one is at 2003. Neither work at all. I then relearned onto of the 2003 codes and that works fine. Very curious what's up with this device as once I figured things out the LG worked so easily.

I also posted a final version of my LG MM file into the diagnostic area

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9340

since I'm not sure you folks wanting a noob posting files anywhere else at this point.

Thanks
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deacon Crusher wrote:
And, and this was probably the key I filled in the main device and sub-device fields inside keymap master.

Yes this was what fixed it.

Quote:
However, I tried the same stuff with the Sharp HT-sb300 and it's still not working and actually, after I deleted extra Learned signals from my profile (which I think where left over from before I started this project and where part of how I've been somewhat controlling that device with this remote already) it went from working some to not at all (so I think the mild support I was seeing was because of the Key learns that were in the over all remote profile and not because of partial support from the individual profile I build with keymap master.

The IR file with the non-functioning Sharpt ht-sb300 has been added to the zip file here:

and it's the misc audio with ID 2001.

In order to diagnose the problem, we need to see the KM and the learns.

Quote:
That's a file for a One for all 9910 and again at this point I can't control anything on that device with this profile.

I continue to feel after comparing behavior of keymap master when building profiles for the LG and for the Sharp that something odd is going on. I learned all the keys of the Sharp into my one for all and then pulled that down into IR. I did the same with my LG. When I look at the learned keys in IR and look at their EFC vs Hex vs OBC codes and then take them into keymap master there's a big difference. the LG codes that I enter into the OBC field in keymap auto generate HEX and EFC codes that match what I see in IR. The same is not true for the Sharp. IR will show codes for a learned key and when I enter the OBC into keymap master the Hex and EFC codes that it generates don't match. This seems odd/wrong and given I'm having a complete failure this seems like a good place to focus some attention??

It sure would have been nice if you had zipped all the information you are using so that we could see where you've gone wrong, but as far as I can tell you never showed us your learns and the upgrade in your ir file is not the same as sound bar you showed in your KM file. As you know from your LG problems, filling out the KM sheet with the exact information you see in the learns is critical. It looks like you are now using Nec1 Device 26. Is that actually what you are seeing from the learns? Or does it say something else. I know that you were filling things out with EFC's instead of OBC's.

If we could see everything, it would sure be a lot easier to help.

You seem to be concerned that the EFC's and HEX don't match what you see from the learns. If I could have my way we'd never show you those two numbers. The EFC is an encoded form of the data input for a SPECIFIC EXECUTOR. If the exectuor changes, the EFC's are MEANINGLESS!

Quote:

since I'm not sure you folks wanting a noob posting files anywhere else at this point.

Thanks

Your file contribution is valuable. There is not an approval process here. Now that it works you can post it directly in the section where it belongs. If you navigate to your file, click the EDIT button in the upper right hand corner, and then select the proper file section from the dropdown, you can move it to the proper section without changing the file number.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found your IR file that contained the learns.

No wonder that upgrade didn't work. You chose NEC1 and your learns clearly indicate they follow the Sharp format.

Here is a IRP for the two signal formats
Sharp
IRP notation: {38k,264}<1,-3|1,-7>(D:5,F:8,1:2,1,-165,D:5,~F:8,2:2,1,-165)+
EFC translation: LSB

Nec1
{38.4k,564}<1,-1|1,-3>(16,-8,D:8,S:8,F:8,~F:8,1,-78,(16,-4,1,-173)*)
EFC translation: LSB comp

If you can read IRP at all, you can see that these signals don't look anything alike.

The numbers are manipulated by a subroutine to match a protocol. You've told it you want a leadin time, follwed by an 8 bit device, an 8 bit subdevice the 8 bit function, and the complement of the 8 bit function,

What you really want is a 5 bit device followed by an 8 bit function a long space and then the 5 bit device followed by the complememnt of the 8 bit function.

Not to mention that the data needs to be complemented when it is fed into the NEC1 executor.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deacon Crusher wrote:

I have moved your upgrade file to the regular DVD (Blu-Ray) folder. I also replaced the zip file with the KM text file (there's no need to zip a single text file).

I did take a look in the Blu-Ray folder to see if we already have any upgrades for LG players and found this: LG Blu-Ray BH200 BD300. Comparing that file to yours, I see that all the similar buttons have the exact same OBCs. I also noticed that that file uses the NECx1 protocol whereas you selected the NEC1 protocol. These two protocols are similar enough that using the wrong one will often work, but it's more reliable to use the correct one. Given that you used NEC1 for your Sharp device, I suspect that you didn't pay too close attention to this and maybe selected the wrong one. Could you check?

Also, there are a few functions in the BH200 file that are not in your file, so you might want to test these OBCs to see if they also work on your player (even if these buttons are not on your original remote).

OBC - Function
076 - Angle
079 - Audio
080 - Subtitle
085 - Repeat A-B
086 - Setup
117 - Power ON
118 - Power OFF
121 - Lock
245 - Res
246 - Popup
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That LG upgrade is definitely not ready for prime time. Rob, unless you already fixed it, it's missing the device and subdevice and contains no discretes like the nearly identical LG BD-390 upgrade, and is using NEC1 versus NECx1 like you said.

Deacon, you probably think your LG upgrade works because you are still actually using the learned signals (same story for your sharp upgrade). It's impossible for the upgrade you posted to actually work. Download the 390 upgrade to see how yours should look (you'll see the commands in common are identical to yours).

One thing I noticed about your IR file is that you have quite a few device upgrades that aren't being used and you are running low on upgrade memory. You should delete the ones you're not using. You also have a few duplicate device upgrades.

I also noticed you have no key moves or macros. Next you should explore macros, because you're really missing out on what this remote can do if you don't use macros. For example you can have a single button turn on your devices and set the correct inputs so you don't have to always do it manually. Anytime you find yourself pressing several buttons for the same tasks everyday, those are good candidates for macros.

I think you need to review the tutorials again since you're missing some basic details in all your upgrades so far, like the protocol, device and subdevice. For your Sharp ugrade, in KM you need to pick the Sharp protocol and enter Device 26. Then the upgrade will work and the EFC, OBC and HEX will all match IR.

You need to understand these basics before you dig into IRP notation, executors, etc.

These are very common beginner mistakes, so I hope my post doesn't sound too harsh. Please do continue posting all the files involved. We could have spotted these errors immediately if we had your learns file first.

Last edited by mdavej on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd KM file that he posted has a device code of 45 and a sub-device code of 45.

Deacon, I have combined all of your diagnosis files into a single zip file, to save people from having to search for them.

I have also created an upgrade file for the sound bar here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9343
Deacon Crusher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robman, Vicky and mdave

All I can say is WOW.

What service and support. Stupendous. I'm at work but yes, given your feedback I can visualize my mistake and I get it.

Rob, I mapped all buttons on my remote, but sounds like it's worth a try to get those other ones going. Especially the discrete off and on which feels a bit like the holly grail with these programmable remotes and macros.

Mdave, I've intentionally limited my efforts until I get passed the point of making basic mistakes, but thanks for the encouragement and definitely heading down the road you outline.

Vicky thanks again for the specifics and I'll get over my EFC interests <G> and just focus on the OBCs.

So, many details to get through the first few layers of this stuff and I was trying to follow the help files, but it's thick sledding.

Thanks to you guys I think I get it now.

The Robman wrote:
The 2nd KM file that he posted has a device code of 45 and a sub-device code of 45.

Deacon, I have combined all of your diagnosis files into a single zip file, to save people from having to search for them.

I have also created an upgrade file for the sound bar here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9343
Deacon Crusher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All working great.

Set the LG to necx1 and the sharp sound bar to sharp and everything was golden. The LG did not support those others keys and I intentionally didn't use that profile because I knew this device with it's netflix support had features the other one didn't so wanted to make sure I had all the keys with the right functions. Sound bar now working as audio punch through also which was a big goal.

I'll see if I can upload these new MM files that are working well and replace the bad ones.

How does one go about finding the discrete on/off codes if they exist?

By the way Vicki, once I got the right Protocol name in for the Sharp the OBC EFC disconnect I was seeing that was so distracting for me went away.

Thanks again all.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deacon Crusher wrote:
How does one go about finding the discrete on/off codes if they exist?

You should read the Discrete code sticky.

Basically there are lots of places to find discretes:

• check other people's upgrades
  • look for manufacturer's who publish there discrete codes on the web. sometimes LG actually publishes their discretes in there user's manuals.
  • there is the discrete hunter at remotecentral.com
  • there is brute force, but this can be DANGEROUS. Brute force involves checking all the OBC's availabe for the protocol/device subdevice combination. You may find yourself in service menu's or other situations that are hard to exit, like EVIL-k mode on Sharp TV's.

Quote:
By the way Vicki, once I got the right Protocol name in for the Sharp the OBC EFC disconnect I was seeing that was so distracting for me went away.

The EFC/Hex matched because you were using the STANDARD executor, but there are combo codes and variants, where this will not be the case. I will still stick by my advice that this is not the place you needed to be looking. When filling in the function sheet from decodes, you always want to use the OBC's but you also want to use the correct protocol. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: