JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RM Raw Download and other newb questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zkidz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: RM Raw Download and other newb questions Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it's possible to get the full contents of flash (including the usually "read only" area) from a JP1.3 S3F8 remote, so I can disassemble it as a learning exercise. The "Raw Download" panel in RM would seem to be the way to do this, but when I click it all I get is "0600:" with no data. I've verified I can download and upload to/from this device by setting a macro, so cabling-wise I should be fine. Any hints?

Also, is there a protocol upgrade that's just a simple PWM executor so I can manually enter some raw codes for experimentation? I'm kind of lost among all the options Smile

Finally, are there linux tools for developing extenders?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow you sure are ambitious.

What is a PWM executor?

What remote are you interested in?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
zkidz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Wow you sure are ambitious.

For context, see my post over in general re 3D shutter glasses.

Quote:
What is a PWM executor?

"Pulse Width Modulation" -- If my reading is correct, at least older learning remotes stored learned codes in a format that was just a list of on/off durations, with no device/function number parameters, just the PWM data for prelude/repeat/end sections. An executor for that. Or something similarly simple. Unless there's already one builtin, in which case, a way to load an instance of that into RM so I can edit it.

Quote:
What remote are you interested in?

For now I'm using the extra Comcast URC-1067B I have. Eventually I need to pick up one with a learning circuit.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vast majority of protocols are PWM, with the various NEC protocols being a prime example. But, being PWM doesn't mean you don't have device codes and command codes in there too.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere I read that protocols like NEC1 (which are varying the length of the gap between the pulses) should not be called pulse width modulation but rather something like gap width modulation. A "real" PWM-signal as used in e.g. automotive engineering (dimming "non dimmable" light sources such as LED being a prime example of its use) typically has a constant period time T and for a "duty cycle" d between 0 and 100% (endpoints sometime excluded) is on for the first d*T/100 time units, and off for the rest. Note that this is typically a signal being continuously transmitted, as opposed to the case of consumer electronic remotes.

A PWM in (extended) IRP-notation (with duty cycle in percent denoted by F) would go something like

{1000k}<>(F p,^100p)+[F:1..99]
zkidz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well so far I've tried to hack an RDF to get an extra 256 bytes at the beginning of the download by adjusting the base/size and all apparently base-relative addresses (including the checksums), but the data comes back all zeros.

Is the source to libjp12serial.so to be found anywhere public? RM just seems to have binaries.

Barf: you're right, outside of the local dialect here, PWM refers to a continuous periodic signal where the duty cycle is adjusted as a control signal. A prime example is in controlling RC-servos. It is simple to convert a PWM signal into an analog or digital sample on the receiving end, and with 555 timers being cheap, easy to create a control circuit on the sending side. So it's a pretty popular method among the solderers. The CS crowd is less enamored with it, of course, since packets/tokens are much easier to deal with on multitasking OSes.

The correct EE terms for the various protocols are rather diverse. Where the total ON+OFF tie for 1 is the same as 0, one might make an argument for calling those "2-ary Phase-Shift Keying", but not "Bi-Phase modulation" because (I think, based on what I've read so far) both 1s and zeros lead with an ON. The sticking point there is that without bit doubling, you don't have a full period of carrier to speak of. Where 0 and one have different total ON+OFF lengths, one could argue that to be "frequency shift keying" but for the fact that there is a DC component because the ON and OFF durations are not necessarily the same.
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zkidz wrote:
Well so far I've tried to hack an RDF to get an extra 256 bytes at the beginning of the download by adjusting the base/size and all apparently base-relative addresses (including the checksums), but the data comes back all zeros.

Wrong. An rdf is not a partition table of sorts that you can edit as you like. Check out the "Extenders" subforum.

Quote:

Is the source to libjp12serial.so to be found anywhere public? RM just seems to have binaries.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9110

Quote:

Barf: you're right, outside of the local dialect here, PWM refers to a continuous periodic signal where the duty cycle is adjusted as a control signal....

At least Vicky learned something new... Wink
zkidz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
At least Vicky learned something new... Wink

Well, if people are going to take my words for it I should mention that all of the above neglects to append an "overlayed on the base modulation" since there are really two layers of modulation going on here.

Any chance the non-user area is read-protected from user programming mode? If so have you guys tried dumping it out the IR through an extender with LDC, or are you all working blind by twiddling bits in the data block and seeing what they do?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: