JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05B-Where to load upgades - into raw or base download?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I bought a new USB adapter....

Do you mean that you replaced the USB card in the computer? If so, did the older interface cables then start to work?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Liz,
When I said ohmmeter, I really meant a multimeter that can measure both volts DC and ohms. With the interface plugged ito the computer, but without software running, I find (with respect to computer ground, usually the entire metallic back panel) wires 1, 3, and 5 have 0 volts, while 2, 4, and 6 have +5 volts. I stick a single paper clip into each hole in turn to measure the voltage. I had expected to get 5 volts on wire 1, but it's 0 on my working interface.

Volts results: 1, 3, 5 to ground, 0v as expected.
2, 6 float about 0 (-.02 to +.1), wrong.
Pin 4 is 4.7-5.06v, as expected.
Measured when connected through a powered hub, as well as directly to the laptop. On pin 6 the green light blinked initially when I tapped it, but then it didn't any more. (Both green and red blink and computer beeps when I plug it in. Both LEDs do red flashes when IR or Tommy's test check the interface)

3FG wrote:
It really only makes sense to check resistance on wires 1,3, and 5. I measured only a couple of ohms to ground on wire 3, as expected, and infinite resistance on wires 5 and 1.
. On pin3 I got 1ohm at most, on 1 and 5 zero. <--edited: it's infinity.

I also confirmed that the cable Tommy last mailed me does not have that pin5 wire, 'cause Tommy wrote so.

Last edited by ElizabethD on Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,
Did you really mean wire 5 has zero ohms to ground? Or infinite? Because wire 5 is not supposed to be connected to anything, so it shouldn't be 0 ohms to ground.

Anyway, it sounds like yours behaves differently to mine. I don't know the internal wiring, so it's hard to guess whether those measurements prove where the problem is (computer setup, or the interface).
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Liz,
Did you really mean wire 5 has zero ohms to ground? Or infinite?

INFINITY on both 1 and 5. Sorry.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do my results make sense? Did I measure wrong things? In
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=94593#94593
for ground, you mentioned "the entire back panel" what does this mean?
Back panel of what?
The closest ground I can find is on the USB connection, there's about 1mm metal exposed, that's where I put one lead against since I assume the metal rectangle is the ground, right? wrong?. Should I use the wall outlet screw instead?

Interesting what Windows opinion of this whole scene is. It always says "This device is working properly". What are they looking at? It ain't working my remotes. And the Volts look bad. How can Windows (XP) say is working? Does anybody understand M$ messages here?

I hope it's not the Open Host controller USB type issue we faced loooong ago with the Delcom drivers for eeprom. I can't recall the exact jargon used for USB name in Devices but it was the deal breaker for you.

Oh, Happy New Year to you. Just around the corner here, 3 hours or so.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was the interface that got broken or the Atlas. I don't yet know for sure.

I have a new cable it works. I can use it on the RCRP05B remote.

One thing about the paperclip test: I used a small paperclip which seemed to be the same thickness as the pins. It was a slightly tight fit. After the tests, the cable did not have its usual tight fit. Something to consider in messing with those things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: