JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RCRP05B-Where to load upgades - into raw or base download?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: RCRP05B-Where to load upgades - into raw or base download? Reply with quote

RCRP05B
Fuzzy here about raw vs a normal download from a brand new unused remote.
To enter upgrades, or to use built-in setup codes, make keymoves, macros etc. which downloaded file to use and why? The normal download or raw download?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, just because you're working with a new remote, that doesn't make you a beginner!
Anyway, I have a RCRP05B, and I used the normal download for the initial download and all others. I think the main reason to use a raw download is when we don't have a suitable RDF file. We do have one for the RCRP05B in the distribution, although I prefer this one. Very Happy
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, 3fg.
Few things I tried work very fine upgraded over the base download yesterday (just 2 devices so far).
Your RDF looks very nice and sensible and convenient to me. I used it from the moment you suggested yesterday.

That said, I can't do more. All I get is interface failures which increased to 100% today. When I started playing with Atlas iit failed only half the time to see the interface so I was still able to still work the FAV issues there. No more. Altas and this one might end up in the town recycling program. Brings me to tears thinking about them being smashed and ground up next Monday.
Sadly, JP1.3 is clearly not for me. Long live 7800, 6131, 8910, parallel interface, and laptops which still support it !!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if two different types of remotes have interface failures, I'd suspect either the computer or the interface cable, and not the remotes. What does the error message say?

IR.exe tries to automatically find the correct interface style, and I think at times it can get fooled. Under the menu item Interface, is JP1.x (Serial or USB-Serial) checked?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jp1.x(serial or USB serial) the bottom one.
Used to be that when I added the eeprom plug, 8910 worked, then and only then Atlas worked (as if IR needed some resetting). Today all fails.

Computer beeps, interface lights flash when I plug it in. Devices look fine. Reboots of computer and resets of remote used to work for Atlas connecting, don't work now. It's hopeless.

Message is "Failed to open JP1.x interface"
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to consider.
1) Lots of us are using JP1.3 remotes with Tommy's interface. I do a lot of uploading/downloading with a RCRP05B in checking DecodeIR. So it "should" work for you just like it does for many others.
2) JP12Serial supports COM1 through COM29. Is your interface mapped in that range?
3) Make double sure that the batteries are up to snuff. Don't use rechargables for this-- they give about 1.2 volts instead of the 1.6 volts that a fresh diposable provides.
4) Using JP12Serial.dll version 0.16? File date is 2/11/2010. There are newer ones, but I think those are aimed at non-Windows users.
5) Interface plugged in with the correct orientation?
6) Pin 5 should not be connected in the cable.
7) Good tight fit between the IDC connector and the 6 pin header?
8) Same symptoms in IR and RMIR?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I know it should
2. Maps itself as COM4 and if the widget is in on COM4 then it maps to COM5.
3. Used and use non-rechargeable, brand new batteries every 2 or so hours
4. Yes, 2/11/10 version (using WindowsXP) it's in the same directory as IR. Should I move it to system32?
5. Far as I know it is. The little black dot on pin1 and no row/column displacement
6. I think it's not. But I have no way of checking. I think Tommy replaced my very old cable long ago and I think it's not in the picture. How can I check? It's all sealed, both sides.
7. Far as I can tell it is
8. Today I let RMIR open the IR file. RMIR doesn't seem to have the check interface selection. So I just asked it to upload. No message, no error message, nothing, silence. But the upload didn't happen, the remote is in the reset state - way I tell is 2 macros don't run and 2 upgrades don't work.

I did run Tommy's tests. Doesn't see any remote. I get as far as point 8 in the instructions. Not skilled to do point 9. I did all the tricks Tommy suggests about the batteries, pressing the button etc.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I just got one of these and have had some odd behavior also, I'll chime in here too.

My interface adapter (also serial) is spread out all over a Proto-Board. I followed the instructions (& 6/26/09 correction) and changed one resistor to 100k instead of 4.7k as mentioned in the notes. With that configuration, it would work maybe one in 5 or 10 times. Changing the resistor (R6) back to the old 4.7k value, and it uploads and downloads almost 100% of the time now. (assuming a valid file - more about that later) With a 100k resistor, it tests OK in IR but won't work with the RCA remote. I thought it was just my slapped together interface giving me problems, but seeing your situation, I suspect this remote requires the lower value resistor to even turn on Q6.

If I open the dialog box (in RMIR it is in the "Remote" dialog) to check and see which interface I have selected (JP1 or 1.x), I have to continue to the dialog to select the port or autoselect and click OK, If I don't click OK, it won't find the interface at all the next time.

I had to save as .ir files rather than .rmir because the .rmir files would not reopen correctly, if at all, in either RMIR or IR after saving. MY URC6131 files all work perfectly; its just the RCA's that act up.RMIR does not seem to save correctly in the .rmir format for this remote, at least for me.

If I make a mistake in my upgrades, there is a chance that the upload will fail and reset the remote.

I started from scratch on my first attempt and it uploaded but left the remote in an almost completely unusable form. Only the audio device would send any output commands at all. Starting from my original downloads, I modified keymoves, added devices and macros and it works pretty well, other than problems with some audio modifications.; as long as I save in the .ir format. (It seems like the built-in Sony audio codes won't accept EFCs for keymoves)
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,
In my computer, JP12serial.dll is in the same directory as IR.exe.
Regarding wire 5, it is easy to check if you have a paper clip and an ohm meter, but otherwise it's probably pretty difficult.

Since 2 different remotes don't work it seems likely that the interface itself is bad-- but if the EEPROM adapter works, that argues the other way. So it is a puzzler.

Steve,
My experience is different. (I use Tommy's USB interface, so that's also different.) Saving RMIR files works fine. If you want to start from scratch with this remote, use the RDF file I linked earlier in this thread-- the distribution RDF doesn't set all the bytes correctly. Or just download from the remote to start.

The RCRP05B does behave differently than most: it won't work at all if it is hooked to the USB cable.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:

Steve,
My experience is different. (I use Tommy's USB interface, so that's also different.)

I wonder if people with older Serial adapters have no problems but those with the newer resistor change will have erratic behavior with specific remotes.
Quote:
Saving RMIR files works fine.

I only had problems with this specific remote and only on one attempt. I had been using RMIR to create upgrades but saving as .ir because I was using IR to up/download because of early problems with the interface.

Quote:
If you want to start from scratch with this remote, use the RDF file I linked earlier in this thread-- the distribution RDF doesn't set all the bytes correctly. Or just download from the remote to start.

That would explain the trouble with my first attempt from scratch. Is it possible that the RDF caused the save problem I experienced?

Quote:
The RCRP05B does behave differently than most: it won't work at all if it is hooked to the USB cable.

Can't comment here. I have older PCs and had all the parts on hand for a serial interface. I may try the one built with "Digital" transistors since I have a bunch of those also. I never thought of them as "Digital". They were designed to force a transistor to act as a switch and not an amplifier. Sony used hundreds of them in their BetaMax VCRs.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Regarding wire 5, it is easy to check if you have a paper clip and an ohm meter
I have paperclips. Can you please tell more about this, what do I put where? and where do I put the leads of the ohmmeter? and any dangers?
3FG wrote:
Since 2 different remotes don't work it seems likely that the interface itself is bad-- but if the EEPROM adapter works, that argues the other way. So it is a puzzler.
It worked once this morning for the RCA remote Smile The 8910 eeprom adapter is currently not working - it did once today. It was good before, and was the only method I could make Atlas work. Something in IR I suspect is not resetting the lines correctly. I've blamed IR before for many things and was wrong, so this is probably true here as well Sad

I just remembered that I have this USB snooping application we used for Delcom - is that of any use? if so what do I look for?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
If I open the dialog box (in RMIR it is in the "Remote" dialog) to check and see which interface I have selected (JP1 or 1.x), I have to continue to the dialog to select the port or autoselect and click OK, If I don't click OK, it won't find the interface at all the next time
. I saw the Autoselect and used it as well, but that got me nowhere as I described above.
Thanks for your notes. It's beyond the abilities of my brain, but sounds important, for Tommy perhaps, or Kevin, to take a notice.

Steve, are you using serial, the 9-pin DIN port? If so, we're not on the same page.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

Steve, are you using serial, the 9-pin DIN port? If so, we're not on the same page.

Yes. I'm using the serial (RS232) interface but the principles may still apply.

[tech]I don't see any schematics on the USB version in the file section but the resistor in question is on the Tx line from the remote sending back to the PC. There is still probably a functionally similar resistor in the USB interface. The same reasoning for changing the original value from 4.7k to 100k would have applied. This could still mean that early versions would work but later versions might not.[/tech]

I can only speculate without seeing a schematic.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz,
When I said ohmmeter, I really meant a multimeter that can measure both volts DC and ohms. With the interface plugged ito the computer, but without software running, I find (with respect to computer ground, usually the entire metallic back panel) wires 1, 3, and 5 have 0 volts, while 2, 4, and 6 have +5 volts. I stick a single paper clip into each hole in turn to measure the voltage. I had expected to get 5 volts on wire 1, but it's 0 on my working interface.

It really only makes sense to check resistance on wires 1,3, and 5. I measured only a couple of ohms to ground on wire 3, as expected, and infinite resistance on wires 5 and 1.

However, the EEPROM adapter shouldn't be affected by wire 5, so I suspect it isn't the problem. I also suspect that you could use the EEPROM adapter to check that the flash interface is communicating using Hyperterminal (Accessories\Communications) at 38400 baud and sending a "?" mark, which should get some response from the adapter. That would bypass IR and JP12serial.dll entirely. But I can't try that out, since I don't have an adapter.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to chime in here, last year my 2006 model jp1.? serial cable with USB adapter stopped working. Since the electronics part of this hobby sucks all the joy out of JP1ing for me, I popped for a new JP1.2/3 interface. It failed within months, I got another one and it failed when I started my ill-fated RCA extender. So I pulled out my old JP1.? interface and shortened it past the suspicious crease in the ribbon cable, but that didn't help. So I bought a new USB adapter, and that was where my problem was. The cable now works perfectly. That's really great because I've been updating remotes like crazy, since I have new equipment in every room.

If I knew for sure what cable I had, I'd buy another one for a backup in a nanosecond. When my cables don't work I get cranky. Twisted Evil

Edit:
On my failures the first jp1.2/3 cable failed intermittantly before it died completely. The second jp1.2/3 cable failed suddenly when the batteries in my remote died. I took the batteries out, and the voltage was below good. I measured the voltage a little later and they were completely out of power. I suspect that the failing batteries may have triggered the cable failure, since it was working perfectly prior to that. But again, I know nothing about electronics, so I'm just putting that out there as an observation.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: