JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Frustrating Altas/usbmce/Lirc/Ubuntu/xbmc problem! [SOLVED!]
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Frustrating Altas/usbmce/Lirc/Ubuntu/xbmc problem! [SOLVED!] Reply with quote

Hi All,

Because a am a masochist, I decided last weekend to upgrade my perfectly functioning HTPC running Ubuntu 8.04 and a two year old version of XBMC to Ubuntu 10.10 and the latest XBMC.

Of course this caused a lot of pain with sound drivers/video drivers etc - however I worked through all of those and am now left with a remote control problem.

The remote receiver is MCE compatible and worked just fine in 8.04. However in 10.10, some buttons are very sluggish. For example the 'up' and 'left' arrows work just fine, but 'down' and 'right' take multiple presses to operate.

Now - you are probably thinking this is not a JP1/Atlas issue since it worked in 8.04 - but here is the thing: the remote that came with the receiver works just fine! When I run 'irw' (which for those not familiar with LIRC is a monitor tool) any button press on the original remote results in two keycodes, and holding the button continuously receives the button. On the Atlas, the keys that work result in three keycodes, holding down loops. The keys that don't work result in either one or zero keycodes, and holding it down sometimes does nothing and sometimes loops.

I have tried both the build-in Atlas version of the MCE protocol and the version RM-IR gives me if I remove the built-in one from the RDF.

The next step I think is to learn the original and the Atlas using my RCA remote(the results of which I will post) - but as I can't get to that until tonight or tomorrow I thought I would see if anyone had other ideas first.

Thanks,
xnappo

Last edited by xnappo on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris (xnappo )

What you are describing sounds like a lead-out time issue problem. If the lead-out time is two long or two short, you can get sluggish response.

I played with XBMC last December for tildajones' Apple TV. We never did get this resolved on the XBMC side, but this might give you a lot of ideas of what can be accomplished with your JP1 remote and XBMC

Apple TV XBMC thread

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Chris (xnappo )

What you are describing sounds like a lead-out time issue problem. If the lead-out time is two long or two short, you can get sluggish response.

I played with XBMC last December for tildajones' Apple TV. We never did get this resolved on the XBMC side, but this might give you a lot of ideas of what can be accomplished with your JP1 remote and XBMC

Apple TV XBMC thread

Hi Vicky,
Thanks - but that thread looks like it has to do with the Apple remote and the Apple receiver? Since this is MCE I don't know what I can get out of that thread.

If I capture the learned original remote vs. the Atlas will the protocol experts be able to tweak the lead out?

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thread was my first/only brush with XBMC, so I may be way off-base.

I am assuming a lot here. I think XBMC enhances the list of available commands by some sort of key combination.

The XBMC preprocesses the IR signal, and so the timing requirements have been tightened up.

Certainly PB lets us create a new executor that can match the OEM signals lead-out.

Quote:
Thanks - but that thread looks like it has to do with the Apple remote and the Apple receiver? Since this is MCE I don't know what I can get out of that thread.

In the Apple XBMC thread, we found that with a lot of work, we might also be able to create an executor that allows you create a KM or RM upgrade that includes the whole set of commands, single and enhanced in the functions tab.

Now in the Apple set, the original remote only had 6 buttons, while the enhanced set gave complete functionality.

Once you get the regular buttons working, were you planning on automating the enhanced set, or are you planning on just pressing the sequence?

Or an I showing my XBMC ignorance? Does this XBMC not use a key sequence?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
That thread was my first/only brush with XBMC, so I may be way off-base.
Or an I showing my XBMC ignorance? Does this XBMC not use a key sequence?

Yes, that whole Apple TV thread is way, way more complicated than using an MCE remote.

XBMC was basically written to use a Windows Media Center remote. All of the button mapping for navigation in it are set up by default for this remote and receiver - so that work is already done. In the older Ubuntu, I just used a MCE upgrade from the upgrade area and it worked out of the box.

I can tell from the command line 'LIRC' utility that the problem is not really with XBMC - the driver is not receiving the signal somehow. The older version of the driver must have been more tolerant somehow, and I am not proficient enough in Ubuntu to figure out how to just revert to an older version (they did a whole bunch of stuff integrating IR support into the kernel which complicates things)...

Anyway - will send the learned signals from my OEM remote and the Atlas ASAP.

Thanks,
xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm packing right now, so I won't be available to look at these for a few days, but if someone else hasn't made the adjustments by the time I get back on line, please bump the thread next week.

wnewell

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a problem in 10.10. There's a documented conflict between the kernel and lirc device. After spending about 6 hours wondering why the remote worked sometimes and not others, I discovered this on the web. I simply went back to Mythbuntu 10.4 and had all my remotes working in no time.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wnewell wrote:
It's a problem in 10.10. There's a documented conflict between the kernel and lirc device. After spending about 6 hours wondering why the remote worked sometimes and not others, I discovered this on the web. I simply went back to Mythbuntu 10.4 and had all my remotes working in no time.

Are you referring to the problem with both the kernel driver and the old Lirc driver loading? I think I actually resolved that issue... I did get some ideas to try from this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1594799&page=2

Again - I know that there are problems with 10.10 - but the thing keeping me from throwing in the towel is that my OEM remote is working fine.

How does one 'simply' go back to an older release?

Thanks!
xnappo
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would need to see a learn of the OEM signal and a learn of the equivalent signal from the JP1 upgrade to try and spot the difference.

It sounds like the device requires a 3-part signal, which contains (a) a button-down string, (b) a button-hold string and (c) a button-up string. My guess is that there's a 2-bit toggle which goes 1-2-3 or something similar.

I don't remember the format of MCE so I would need to look it up to see if it's consistent with what I just suggested.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here are some learns of the up/down/left/right from the OEM remote on those buttons, and then on other buttons using the built-in Atlas protocol.

This is in RMIR format, hope that is okay - my IR is not working. I can fix that if need be.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9237

Right off I see that the frequency is different between the two?

Should I force my RDF to use 'our' version and upload that too?

Thanks!
xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:

This is in RMIR format, hope that is okay - my IR is not working. I can fix that if need be.

RMIR 2.00 saves AS IR files. It has for a while. Rob's probably going to want this in IR format simply because ir has better features for looking at timings and such.

Quote:

I don't understand that question.

xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
xnappo wrote:

RMIR 2.00 saves AS IR files. It has for a while. Rob's probably going to want this in IR format simply because ir has better features for looking at timings and such.

Quote:

I don't understand that question.

Okay - IR version:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9238

Regarding my other statement - these learns are from the Atlas MCE protocol. I was asking if y'all wanted the version RM would give me if I removed the built-in support from the RDF.

xnappo
wnewell

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
How does one 'simply' go back to an older release?

I simply installed Mythbuntu 10.04 again. These were just frontend machines.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are minor differences in the timings.

Code:
      Freq    leadin      1/0 times  leadout
OEM   35.555  +2700 -892  +450 -446  -70360
UEI   36.036  +2664 -888  +470 -428  -70164

xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
There are minor differences in the timings.

Code:
      Freq    leadin      1/0 times  leadout
OEM   35.555  +2700 -892  +450 -446  -70360
UEI   36.036  +2664 -888  +470 -428  -70164

Thanks Rob!

From this I was actually able to modify the receiver configuration file - and now it is *almost* working as well as the OEM. Still not good enough to actually use though. Even after adjusting this file, the OEM remote still works better with the 'incorrect' settings for it.

Here are the contents of the config file:
Code:

name        mceusb
  bits                 16
  flags  RC6|CONST_LENGTH
  eps                  40
  aeps                150
  frequency         36036

header       2664   888
  one           470   428
  zero          470   428
  pre_data_bits        21
  pre_data        0x37FF0
  gap              105000
  toggle_bit           22
  rc6_mask    0x100000000

I didn't see anywhere obvious to put the information about the 'leadout'. There are additional keywords not present in my file: http://winlirc.sourceforge.net/technicaldetails.html
are there some other things I should include?

Thanks,
xnappo
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: