JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beta version of URC7562-B01 available for testing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NBoater

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Beta version of URC7562-B01 available for testing Reply with quote

I've uploaded an extender for the European One For All URC7562-B01

URC7562-B01 Extender v1.01 - Beta

This is a beta and is my first extender. I have done some testing on this but would appreciate anyone else performing some testing and providing feedback.

The extender is modelled on a number of existing extenders (e.g. ToadTog, DSM, LDKP, Pause, nested macros, etc), rather than the 7560 extender that can be used will earlier models of the 7562.

Please report any bugs in this thread, if I can't recreate them I'll send you a PM asking for details.
Edit
V1.01 uploaded with fix for a buffer overrun problem.
NBoater
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

vickyg2003 alerted me to this thread - I've been away for a while.

Thanks for the extender - it will be good to finally have a working extender for this variant. I have a few of these, a couple of which are in active use. I've downloaded the code, and I'll do some test configurations in the next few days and report back.

At first glance I'm very pleased to see you've used the:

"DEV_TV; SET_TRANS_KEYS; SET_VOL_KEYS; SET_CHAN_KEYS;
SET_MENU_KEYS; SET_OTHER_KEYS; SET_NUM_KEYS"
etc...

style of device selection in the extender, since this is by far my favourite extender style, as used on my 8910 setups, and in my opinion provides a very flexible approach.

There are a couple of things I've wanted to use an extender on these remotes for - so that gives me a good start point for some testing.

Thanks again

Jim
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimdunn wrote:

etc...

I'm glad to see you're not fickle. Laughing Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
jimdunn wrote:

etc...

I'm glad to see you're not fickle. Laughing Wink Rolling Eyes Laughing

Fickle, moi? Why no...

I just guessed you'd like a comment like that - serves you right for sending me the heads up to look at this thread... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

(If anyone doesn't get the connection - this long thread where Vicky and I discussed the merits of this approach at length should explain...)

Seriously, I am looking forward to testing this in the next few days - it promises to solve a few things on my wishlist for those remotes - especially the one we currently use in the rumpus room, which the in-laws can't come to terms with. With the extender I can hopefully do the short/long press device/inputs and device selection on the device keys trick which makes a huge user friendliness difference.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok - so far, so good. I loaded up the extender, added some devices, and tested them out - no obvious problems.

Then I created the Special protocols/macros and keymoves necessary to let a short press on the device buttons just select the device to be controlled (by issuing the relevant SET_xxx_KEYS stuff) while a long press does that, but additionally sets all the TV/and-or/audio inputs up correctly to watch/use that device (ie, a long press starts the "activity" while a short press just lets you control the device).

It all seems to work flawlessly so far - so you've already got one very happy customer here - that's the way my 8910s work and I've wanted to do it with the 7562s for ages.

I'll check out pause/toadtog etc and a few other things in the next few days, but so far all I can say is:

Perfect, thank you, and very well done.

Jim Very Happy
jimdunn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one other thing which flitted through my mind, before I forget...

If you look here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8599&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I think this remote might have a "bucket" for a 7th device. (although that was originally about the 7560 so may not apply here ?)

Since, in your excellent new extender, Home Theatre as a button is pretty much redundant, it might make a pretty obvious candidate for being used as the "7th device button", if the extra bucket was included in the rdf. (If it actually applies on the 7562 as well)

Just a thought - but if you think it's too confusing don't worry about including it - it can still be tried manually if necessary.
NBoater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Phantom Device Reply with quote

Looking at the RDF file for the 7550/7552/7560/7562 (Not B01) remotes it appears that there is a"gap", between the 6 device codes and the first VPT device, at EEPROM locations $016:$017.

Unfortunately, in the 7562 B01 the EEPROM arrangement is different and so this gap does not exist and so cannot easily add/use a phantom device.

Regards,
NBoater
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Phantom Device Reply with quote

NBoater wrote:
Looking at the RDF file for the 7550/7552/7560/7562 (Not B01) remotes it appears that there is a"gap", between the 6 device codes and the first VPT device, at EEPROM locations $016:$017.

Unfortunately, in the 7562 B01 the EEPROM arrangement is different and so this gap does not exist and so cannot easily add/use a phantom device.

Regards,
NBoater

Ah, ok - I half suspected it might not be that easy, since the original "trick" was for the older variants of the remote.

Code:
AUX = $016 $017
is indeed what was used in the rdf to get this "7th device", so if that isn't available on the B01, I guess it's not going to work.

It was only a passing idea, and wouldn't add a massive amount of functionality anyway - there are other ways to make use of the HT key - at the moment I simply use it as "mute" so that the centre button can always be "select" and I don't need to do any mucking around with the frustrating "menu modes" on the remote.

I've done a bit more testing with the extender, and everything to this point has worked perfectly - it's a great enhancement to these remotes.

Thank you again.
NBoater

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
there are other ways to make use of the HT key - at the moment I simply use it as "mute" so that the centre button can always be "select" and I don't need to do any mucking around with the frustrating "menu modes" on the remote.

I agree about the "menu modes". I have the '10' key as select/ok and 'AV' as exit/backup on all my devices, with the (easy to find by touch alone) centre button as mute for all of my devices.

Your comment about HT mode did make me rethink about the DEV_HT "key" and have realised that it has no useful function on the 7562 extender as none of the SET_XXX options are applicable. The exender, on which I modelled mine, had a SET_LCD option that could be used after DEV_HT.
For the final release I will need to change the RDF to remove it and trim 1 byte off the HT default macro for the release version.
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NBoater wrote:
Quote:
there are other ways to make use of the HT key - at the moment I simply use it as "mute" so that the centre button can always be "select" and I don't need to do any mucking around with the frustrating "menu modes" on the remote.

I agree about the "menu modes". I have the '10' key as select/ok and 'AV' as exit/backup on all my devices, with the (easy to find by touch alone) centre button as mute for all of my devices.

Your comment about HT mode did make me rethink about the DEV_HT "key" and have realised that it has no useful function on the 7562 extender as none of the SET_XXX options are applicable. The exender, on which I modelled mine, had a SET_LCD option that could be used after DEV_HT.
For the final release I will need to change the RDF to remove it and trim 1 byte off the HT default macro for the release version.

That makes perfect sense to me - well, I've tested everything I can think of and I haven't broken it yet, so I'd certainly call it ready for release, unless anyone else wants to do some further testing. Incidentally, the macros on the device keys passed the "In-laws" test - they can now operate our rumpus room setup - so I am indebted Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: