JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 15-2117 RF question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
batorok

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: RS 15-2117 RF question Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm one of the few who seems to have the command center (rf-->ir blaster) working well, except it doesn't seem to send any of my learned codes to my hauppauge pvr-250 receiver in my HTPC/homebrew TIVO running sagetv. All the other commands are sent and work great. Is this standard, or is it a problem with my pvr-250 IR receiver?
thanks
djhansensr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy the same remote with the RF base.

Do you use the remote to send X10 commands?

If so, did you have to get the IR543 receiver? I'm pretty new to the remote arena, as far as RF to IR, etc., so any help would be appreciated. I have several lights that I already control via an X10 desktop controller, as well as an HAI OmniLT home automation controller.

Now I'm looking for an RF solution and universal learning remote in one.

Thanks,
Dean
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the 2117's base unit mated with an IR543, you'll basically have RF remote control of your X10, but only via powerline signals (from the IR543), and for only one house code. The X10 RF stuff will not respond to the remote's RF directly. If you get the modified IR543AH unit, I think Rob has worked out a protocol for JP1 remotes that can control it, thus giving you RF control of all 16 house codes.

AFAIK, the only RF remotes that are going to directly control X10 RF devices via RF are those made by X10. Except for a few specialized cases, there is no such thing as a universal RF remote. The learning types you find offered in new vehicles (Home Link) would possibly be able to do the job, but they only have three buttons, and you don't really want to know what they would cost to buy. Shocked
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RS 15-2117 RF question Reply with quote

batorok wrote:
Hi,
I'm one of the few who seems to have the command center (rf-->ir blaster) working well, except it doesn't seem to send any of my learned codes to my hauppauge pvr-250 receiver in my HTPC/homebrew TIVO running sagetv. All the other commands are sent and work great. Is this standard, or is it a problem with my pvr-250 IR receiver?
thanks

I have a Hauuppauge WinTV-PVR-pci which I sometimes control with my R-S remote. I also have some intervideo products and an Audigy Sound Blaster--all of which have IR receivers feeding into my computer so....I usually don't find the remote signals going to my hauppage to be as cleaningly recieved as they are to stand-alone devices.

I assume you've done the obvious like check to see that your learned commands are clean--often you wind up with a learned button that does work but that has extraneious codes stuck in there. Some times when that happens you can use a few of different strategies to get a better learned button:
1) press both the learning button and the teaching button for just an instant--make sure the learning button is pressed first.
2) keep pressing the learning button but only press the teaching button for an instant.
3) hold both buttons down until you get either an error or a succes.

Sanity check:
Try using a key move instead of a learned button for these codes.
foreright360

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a need for an IR blaster to have the the 2117 work with pvr-250 and my digital cable box?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: RS 15-2117 RF question Reply with quote

streetskater wrote:

I assume you've done the obvious like check to see that your learned commands are clean--often you wind up with a learned button that does work but that has extraneious codes stuck in there. Some times when that happens you can use a few of different strategies to get a better learned button:

... or better yet, create an upgrade for it.

foreright360 wrote:
Is there a need for an IR blaster to have the the 2117 work with pvr-250 and my digital cable box?

You're going to have to clarify your question a bit. Are you talking about an IR blaster conencted to your PVR or to the 15-2117's command center?

I expect you will need an IR blaster connected to your PVR if you want your PVR to be able to change the channels on your cable box.

As for the 15-2117, if you want to be able to use it from a different location than where your equipment is located, you can either use the command center by itself or with the IR blaster attached.
ToonGal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: RS 15-2117 RF question Reply with quote

@streetskater:
Are you the same person I see in PD101?

@all:
batorok wrote:
it doesn't seem to send any of my learned codes to my hauppauge pvr-250 receiver in my HTPC/homebrew TIVO running sagetv. All the other commands are sent and work great. Is this standard, or is it a problem with my pvr-250 IR receiver?

I have the exact same configuration: PVR-250, HTPC/SageTV, Hauppauge silver IR remote controlled by ir.exe (Hauppauge's). I stumbled across this thread yesterday and decided to go to Radio Shack to price out this remote. They told me it was a discontinued item and I bought the last one they had, knowing I can always return it if I can't make it work in the next few days.

Has anyone got this remote to simulate the control of the PVR-250's Hauppauge remote? Any advice on first steps to take to make this work? Buying the $15 to $40 JP1 cable is probably a next step, but I really don't want to waste the money if this isn't likely to work.

Thanks in advance for the help!
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toongal,
There are multiple possible refereces for PD101--everything from Oracle DB to Public Defenders. Which one are you asking about.
ToonGal

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

streetskater wrote:
There are multiple possible refereces for PD101--everything from Oracle DB to Public Defenders. Which one are you asking about.

If I have to be specific, I'll say odds are 'no'. But if a PD101/ed2k means more to you, then that's a 'yes'. No biggie, either way; just curious. Smile

BTW, any info on my 15-2117 q's? Smile
streetskater

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big Donkey Mule Overnet user. Mostly Overnet these days. I may have registred on ed2K but I'm probably not the person you're thinking of.

I'm not sure I saw a 15-2117 question--but if it's just about making programming the 2117 to control the Hauppague PVR-250's Hauppauge my short answer would be "Can Do".
streetskater

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToonGal,
I just PM'ed you over at PD101. Of course I'm that guy you see over there......I just figured it out Smile
Entropy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: RS 15-2117 RF question Reply with quote

ToonGal wrote:
@streetskater:
Are you the same person I see in PD101?

@all:
batorok wrote:
it doesn't seem to send any of my learned codes to my hauppauge pvr-250 receiver in my HTPC/homebrew TIVO running sagetv. All the other commands are sent and work great. Is this standard, or is it a problem with my pvr-250 IR receiver?

I have the exact same configuration: PVR-250, HTPC/SageTV, Hauppauge silver IR remote controlled by ir.exe (Hauppauge's). I stumbled across this thread yesterday and decided to go to Radio Shack to price out this remote. They told me it was a discontinued item and I bought the last one they had, knowing I can always return it if I can't make it work in the next few days.

Has anyone got this remote to simulate the control of the PVR-250's Hauppauge remote? Any advice on first steps to take to make this work? Buying the $15 to $40 JP1 cable is probably a next step, but I really don't want to waste the money if this isn't likely to work.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Using the 15-2116/2117 to directly control the PVR-250 (i.e. emulate the Hauppauge Grey remote) - not sure.

I can't remember if the stock Haup software allows you to "learn" other remotes. Note that the PVR-x50's IR receiver has a hardware limitation - it can ONLY understand the RC5 remote protocol.

If your software can learn other remotes, http://www.wilsonet.com/mythtv/remotes.php might be of help. It primarily focuses on MythTV on a Linux box with a PVR-x50, but the info regarding the remote should be useful to anyone trying to work with the PVR-x50's hardware IR receiver. I use a 2116 with MythTV and my PVR-350, it works GREAT. I didn't need a JP1 cable to get it working either. (I needed JP1 to control my Apex PD-650 and my Delphi Roady XM sat radio unit though.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: