JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Backlighting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject: Backlighting Reply with quote

Earlier today, I was recommending the Atlas OCAP because of its backlighting, and then I opened the newspaper and saw a huge ad for the microlight. I laughed so hard that the tears rolled down my face. Laughing

www.themicrolite.com

Its a shame that there is a need for this.

IMO all remotes should be designed so that you can operate them by feel, and have backlighting or color coded keys (like the atlas or comcast) so that you don't have to have all the lights on to make an adjustment.

Also note that this picture shows this gizmo on a 15-134 RadioShack Satelite PRO. Most remotes don't have that large of a blank area.

I hope Rob doesn't consider this spam.... Laughing

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Backlighting Reply with quote

The Pop-Up Microlite people wrote:
dozens of other uses - not just remote controls

Fantastic - you could stick it to your favourite nacho bowl or - living at a northern latitude as I do - attach one to each boot to guide your way home on dark nights partitcularly as local authorities cut back on street lighting to save money (or, as they would have us believe, to reduce energy use to save the planet). Save countless lives at sea by attaching one to your head and rotating slowly. Amaze friends at dinner parties by attaching one to your upper dentures with Polygrip (TM), etc.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilarious!
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very sad!

xnappo
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a totally rectangular OEM remote, can't tell top from bottom. It is black.
All buttons are dark grey with grey, tiny letters on them. In between the buttons are tiny other button designations in dark grey which you can hardly see in the brightest of lights.
Oh, there are two red buttons. Power and Record. Big deal.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING OF WHEN THEY DESIGNED IT?

But at $10 a pop, it's a bit nasty, a flashlight hanging on your neck does the job as well. Then again for all the uses underquark mentioned -- heck, why not? Might come useful on the boots to know where you're going.

I still think the 7800 is the nicest, easiest to use by feel, design.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
I
But at $10 a pop, it's a bit nasty, a flashlight hanging on your neck does the job as well. Then again for all the uses underquark mentioned -- heck, why not? Might come useful on the boots to know where you're going.

Well the guys have it nice, they don't have to have a flashlight. They can just wear the ball caps with the bill with the LED's in it. Sold at Lowe's and Home Depot. My husband has one of those and they are really quite bright.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not prepare a tasty snack to eat whilst you watch TV controlled, of course, by your illuminated remote?

This item (sadly no longer in stock; funny that) - the self-flipping omelette pan - should fit the bill. There is a question-and-answer on answers.yahoo that might explain why it is no longer available.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tis the season for all these oddball gadgets. Chia pets and clappers are lining the shelves. Do you have the clapper ads in the UK?

underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen the ad's but you can certainly get them in stores and on-line (here, for instance) in the UK. I seem to remember that about two Christmases ago you could pick them up for a fraction of that if you waited until January. Fantastic fun, I should imagine, as you all pull crackers whilst trying to watch TV. Didn't Roseanne have a clapper-enabled lamp in her TV series?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember all the stupid gadgets that came out in the 70s? The Buttoneer comes to mind.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to attract those kind of "gifts". I received a buttoneer and a leopard print snuggy. I'm just hoping that nobody sees the "inside the egg" electric scrambler, Laughing

underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stupid gadgets have been coming out for decades, if not centuries, it's just that the 70's was a time ripe for the trying and buying of stupid gadgets. What about the 60s, for instance? That was when you could get a Magnavox TV with a remote control that worked not with infra-red but with sound - the remote used small tuning forks.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now we're into gadgets ... what fun!

The best gadget from 1970s, maybe 1980's I ever got was a brush with a velcro-like-surface to get white cat's hairs off dark clothes. Works to this day.

The worst gadget I ever got was in 2009, a FREE flash, a USB stick, with a FREE rootkit trojan (stopped in its tracks by the defenses here).
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best ever!
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
Best ever!

Which? - the cute rectal polyp cauterizer, or the electro-shock machine?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: