JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Logitech Revue (GoogleTV)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Are we saying that there are still buttons that exist but we don't know the codes for them, or are we saying that we have all the buttons that work and it would be up to the Revue guys to add more buttons?

Because, if functions like ESCAPE and DVR really do exist and we just need to find the right codes, I can help with that.

Is anyone here using a JP1 remote to work this? If so, that would be the easiest way to look for new codes. If Pronto hex is the only way to go, I can create a spreadsheet that would generate the codes.

The other buttons which were referred are unique to the RF keyboard that comes with all GoogleTV units. Using IR commands with GoogleTV is limited to the Logitech Revue, as it is the only unit that contains an IR receiver.

IR functionality is actually disabled by default. One has dig deep through the system to find the settings to enable it. Once it is enabled, a system tool named, "Logitech Harmony Controller" (v1.0) is loaded and by its permissions, "Hardware controls create input devices, read infrared receiver" seem to manage the IR input.

I knew this in advance and bought a Logitech Harmony 300. The profile in the Logitech Harmony database for the Logitech Revue had a total of 64 commands available for it. Each one of these commands were captured and uploaded in the original post. The current Harmony profile for the Revue only has 62 commands available.

Apparently, they made these changes:
"GTVDLNA" was renamed to "Logitech Media Player"
"GTVWindowsManager"was renamed to "DualView"
"GTVWeather" was renamed to "GTVNBA"
"GTVFacebook" was removed.
"Number Enter" was removed.

Even though the "GTVFacebook" and "Number Enter" buttons were removed from Logitech's Harmony Database, they are still responsive using the JP1 commands from original post. So, I concede that there might be IR commands that aren't referenced, as there are many EFC's between 0-255 which were not accounted for in the original decode.

If there's an easy way to look for these codes, let me know I'd be willing to be your Huckleberry to find them. I don't have a JP1 remote but I do have a Slingbox, RMIR/RM, and the "USB/IR decoder ring" if it will help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
If there's an easy way to look for these codes, let me know I'd be willing to be your Huckleberry to find them. I don't have a JP1 remote but I do have a Slingbox, RMIR/RM, and the "USB/IR decoder ring" if it will help.

If you look in the RM file, you will see that each function has a "byte1" code and an OBC. In theory, there are 65k possibilities (ie, 256*256) but in reality most of the buttons use one of 3 byte1 codes (ie, 0, 1 and 144) but there are 2 buttons (dash and GTVSettings) that use different byte1 codes (ie, 2 and 192).

If you want to try testing the unused codes to see if they do anything, you would need to create dummy upgrades that use those codes then test the buttons to see if they do anything. If you find something, make a note of which button it was and what it did, then go back to the RM file that you used to see what the code was.

Given that most functions use a byte1 code of 0, I would start by testing all the unusued OBCs there first. Then do the same for 1 and 144.

If you're still feeling adventurous after all that, you could also try all 255 unused codes for 2 and 192.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
If you want to try testing the unused codes to see if they do anything, you would need to create dummy upgrades that use those codes then test the buttons to see if they do anything. If you find something, make a note of which button it was and what it did, then go back to the RM file that you used to see what the code was.

Given that most functions use a byte1 code of 0, I would start by testing all the unusued OBCs there first. Then do the same for 1 and 144.

If you're still feeling adventurous after all that, you could also try all 255 unused codes for 2 and 192.

I gotta remember that "easy" and "tedious" aren't mutually exclusive. I suppose its time for me to get a JP1 remote, as it seem it would mean a whole bunch of uploads will be necessary. I'd rather use up the writes on a $20 device than a $200 device.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
I gotta remember that "easy" and "tedious" aren't mutually exclusive.

Ain't that the truth!!!

Nice to see you back.

Quote:

I suppose its time for me to get a JP1 remote, as it seem it would mean a whole bunch of uploads will be necessary. I'd rather use up the writes on a $20 device than a $200 device.

Well you can use your slingbox to do this testing, so you really don't NEED to get a remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
I gotta remember that "easy" and "tedious" aren't mutually exclusive. I suppose its time for me to get a JP1 remote, as it seem it would mean a whole bunch of uploads will be necessary. I'd rather use up the writes on a $20 device than a $200 device.

It's always time to get a JP1 remote! But that being said, this isn't as tedious as it sounds, at least it's a lot easier than the old way of testing 3-digit EFC codes one at a time.

Here's a zip file that contains several RM files with all of the gap OBCs from devs 0, 1 and 144.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9765

Last edited by The Robman on Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Nice to see you back.

Thanks! Nice to see you're still around. Smile

Quote:
Well you can use your slingbox to do this testing, so you really don't NEED to get a remote.
The Robman wrote:
It's always time to get a JP1 remote! But that being said, this isn't as tedious as it sounds, as least it's a lot easier than the old way of testing 3-digit EFC codes one at a time.

Yeah, nine rewrites isn't bad. I was thinking there were to be much more than that. Since there's a MTBF for flash writes, I didn't want to spend a whole bunch of it on a hunting expedition. I don't mind doing a few, but if there are going to be like a hundred of them, then I'll just pick up a JP1 remote to save the wear and tear of the Slingbox.

The Robman wrote:
Here's a zip file that contains several RM files with all of the gap OBCs from devs 0, 1 and 144.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9765

Only "dev 0 - part 2" came with a responsive function from the nine rmdu files. Apparently, "dev0 obc 114" functions as "Volume Down" for the Logitech Revue. I rechecked the original "Volume Down" and it appears that it is non-functional. I'll upload a new version shortly, but here is the appropriate change during the interim.

{Volume Down}
Old [EFC: 183, Byte 1: 0, OBC: 191, Hex: 00 BF]
New [EFC: 161, Byte 1: 0, OBC: 114, Hex: 00 72]

Also, after double-checking, I noticed that "Cancel", "Skip Forward", and "Skip Back" don't appear to be functioning. I don't know if that's the result of the Slingbox sending bad codes to the Revue, or if the Revue is sending bad codes to the Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC. I'm gonna have to gather some data and get back with you.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't bother creating files for all the OBCs from dev 2 and 192, but as each of them had one button, it's certainly possible that they have a few more.

The other thing to be aware of when button hunting is that some buttons only give a response in certain situations, for example the arrow buttons typically won't do anything unless there's a menu screen up. So it's possible that we did try some other new buttons but weren't in the right screen for you to notice a response.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
The other thing to be aware of when button hunting is that some buttons only give a response in certain situations, for example the arrow buttons typically won't do anything unless there's a menu screen up. So it's possible that we did try some other new buttons but weren't in the right screen for you to notice a response

While I certainly do think it is possible, I doubt it is probable. Not to toot my own horn but this isn't my first rodeo. As an ex-Quality Assurance tester for Sega, I was very methodical for testing these buttons under three specific circumstances: the channel guide for the STB, Google Web Search with "abcdef" typed in the text box, and the home screen of Google TV. I should have had exercised the same due diligence during the initial remote test.

Although I did notice that there was a few functions which weren't assigned to a button. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but I can test those if it wasn't. They are "dev0 obc188", "dev1 obc255", "dev144 obc207", "dev144 obc209", "dev144 obc210" and "dev144 obc211". I'm also curious why some of function sequences were skipped; dev144: [OBCs: 86-89, 174,175 and 177-185], dev1: [OBCs: 80-82] and dev0: [OBC: 191].

The Robman wrote:
I didn't bother creating files for all the OBCs from dev 2 and 192, but as each of them had one button, it's certainly possible that they have a few more.

There are only a handful of buttons which aren't already covered under the Harmony IR profile for the Logitech Revue. The buttons unaccounted are DVR, Page Up, Page Down, AvR Power Toggle, STB Power Toggle, TV Power Toggle, and Right Mouse Click. The rest are the typical 56 keys of numbers, letters, symbols, and meta which you would expect on a typical keyboard. Even then the letters and numbers are still covered with the numeric keypad if one is patient enough to do the "Text on 9 keys" (T9) typing without the predictive word functionality.

The most saught after key is ESC. By my interpretation of requests on the Logitech Forums, it is because for some Set-Top Boxes (STB) the "Cancel" button on the Harmony is either unresponsive or functioning inappropriately through the Revue. This is one of the buttons where I'm going to pull out IR decoder ring to see if the output from the Revue matches the IR output of the Harmony for the actual SA-8300HDC.

If you have anymore files to test, I'm still here and willing to go through the rest of them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
Although I did notice that there was a few functions which weren't assigned to a button. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but I can test those if it wasn't. They are "dev0 obc188", "dev1 obc255", "dev144 obc207", "dev144 obc209", "dev144 obc210" and "dev144 obc211". I'm also curious why some of function sequences were skipped; dev144: [OBCs: 86-89, 174,175 and 177-185], dev1: [OBCs: 80-82] and dev0: [OBC: 191].

Any un-assigned buttons were not intentional but are an artifact of the rushed way I put these files together. I tried to only skip OBCs that already had functions listed for them, if I skipped any others that wasn't intentional.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I went ahead and opened up a forum post about the issue of the Revue sending the wrong IR codes or nothing at all to my STB for certain keys. The post can be seen on the Logictech forums here: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue/IR-output-with-certain-keys-from-the-Revue/td-p/656258 if anyone is interested.

The Robman wrote:
Any un-assigned buttons were not intentional but are an artifact of the rushed way I put these files together. I tried to only skip OBCs that already had functions listed for them, if I skipped any others that wasn't intentional.

Sounds good, I'll go ahead and create another update with the remaining codes for dev's 0, 1, and 144. Do you have a quick way of punching these out? I ask because I'm thinking about doing it for the remaining OBC for dev's 2 and 192.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used a spreadsheet page to generate the codes and then cut & pasted them into RM.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ran through the remaining skipped codes for dev 0, 1, and 144 but didn't find anything new. Sad

The Robman wrote:
I just used a spreadsheet page to generate the codes and then cut & pasted them into RM.

Cool. Tomorrow, I'll spend the time in creating new RMDUs for dev 2 and 192 and testing each of the 255 OBCs thoroughly.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
Cool. Tomorrow, I'll spend the time in creating new RMDUs for dev 2 and 192 and testing each of the 255 OBCs thoroughly.

The scans through the 255 OBCs for device 2 and 192 are complete but there were no new responses.

I may have to go through the entire process again, because of my findings on the Logitech Web Site. Apparently, it is possible to customize certain buttons by teaching the IR codes to the Revue. Doing so does affect both the Harmony IR and RF Keyboard. This allowed me to fix the functions of the ">|" and "|<" keyboard commands and the "SkipForward" and "SkipBack" Harmony functions.

Unfortunately, this doesn't help with the "PG^" and "PGv" buttons for the RF Keyboard. The Logitech Revue does not send out any IR codes when initiated. The same thing happens when I execute the "Cancel" function from the Harmony IR. Effectively, this still leaves me with three functions which appear to be non-functional on the Logitech Revue, so I'll have to redo the hunting expedition whenever they're working appropriately.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've only tested 5 device codes (ie, 0, 1, 2, 144, 192), that means there's 251 more that you can try!!! At 256 buttons each, you'll get through them in no time!!! Smile
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... at approximately, 3.2 flash writes per device, that would require 804 bin upgrades. Yeah, I'm not brave enough to get that much closer to the epoch of mean time before failure on the Slingbox. I'm not entirely sure using a JP1 remote to get carpal tunnel syndrome on a wild goose chase is something I want to do either.

Too bad nobody has written a war dialer for IR devices. Something that a user can operate by setting their laptop next to the device while it cycles through a range of IR commands at a set interval. If the viewer notices a response then they pause it to step through the previously sent codes. Then they can mark or annotate the ones that give consistent responses and allow it to continue the next set of sequences. That would make command hunting so much easier and less tedious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Protocol Decodes All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: