JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Samsung Plasma TV: PS50Q91HD - missing one OBC code.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Samsung Plasma TV: PS50Q91HD - missing one OBC code. Reply with quote

Hi all,

Not using a required template because I have already created a working upgrade, except for one OBC code that I can not find, and need your help for.

Using URC8811 this time. Found an upgrade with working protocol (NECx2,7,7) in the file section, but many OBCs were wrong or missing for my model.
So , I have tried all 256 OBCs and pretty much worked out all button codes, except one, that I just can't find.

There are the following inputs in the set:
AV1, AV2, S-video, COMPONENT1, COMPONENT2, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, PC.

The remote control gives you two options to select the input: 1) Through the MENU -> SOURCE -> required input; 2) cycling through all inputs using SOURCE button.
However, in process of trying all OBCs, I found the "discrete" codes that force the particular source selection. Found them for all inputs, except COMPONENT2. Note that the COMPONENT2 is a separate input, and NOT multiplexed with any other inputs.
I have tried all OBCs three times, but "no cigar".
And yes, the video input signal WAS present at COMPONENT2, as I could select it via MENU.

Anyway, if you guys and gals have any thoughts on why the code doesn't seem to be there, and what it could be, please help.

I have listed below the OBC/EFC working codes for the rest of the inputs:
AV1 => 132/188
AV2 => 235/083
S-video => 133/192
COMPONENT1 => 134/190
COMPONENT2 => ???/???
HDMI1 => 233/081
HDMI2 => 190/030
HDMI3 => 194/175
PC => 105/073

Once again - each of the above codes jumps straight to the corresponding input selection, regardless of whether any signal is connected to that input or not.

Any ideas or speculations as to what the missing one could be, based on the codes above?

Thanks.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Samsung Plasma TV: PS50Q91HD - missing one OBC code. Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:

There are the following inputs in the set:
AV1, AV2, S-video, COMPONENT1, COMPONENT2, HDMI1, HDMI2, HDMI3, PC.

The remote control gives you two options to select the input: 1) Through the MENU -> SOURCE -> required input; 2) cycling through all inputs using SOURCE button.

Your kidding right! No of course your not. I have a Samsung TV and I found those codes that displayed those words on the screen but never knew how to use them as discretes. I didn't even know what a discrete was in 2001! Rolling Eyes Embarassed You should see the hoops that I jump through macro-wise to get those inputs to get selected via macros.

I can't help you with your OBC, but you sure helped me!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's entirely possible that there simply isn't a discrete code for that particular input. There are several other TVs where some inputs have discretes and some don't.

As this is a Samsung set and uses the standard Samsung protocol (ie, NECx2 with matching device and sub-device codes), I doubt that the missing code comes from a different device code.

If you are familiar with the sequence of inputs that come up when you use the SOURCE button, all you need to do to simulate the missing input in a macro is to use the discrete code for the previous input and then follow it with SOURCE.
Dilligaf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try EFC 061, OBC 136 That gets component 2 on my samsung tv. I'm using NEC1,7,7 but all your EFC/OBC match my upgrade.

Mike
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an extensive list (the most complete that I've seen) of Samsung TV discretes. Perhaps it would be worth double checking 136/061.

We have several Samsung upgrades here that contain lots of discretes. I find this upgrade to be useful. It contains all of the discretes that digital_silence found by trial and error.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone responded.

Vicky, I am glad I was finally of help for someone in this forum (for a change... :-))

Rob, your suggested "macro" strategy could be more difficult than it looks, because the SOURCE button only cycles through the "live" sources (i.e. the ones that see the actual video signals on the input (bl**dy intelligent source selection!)).
So, the number of "virtual" (macro) presses of SOURCE button, required to get to COMPONENT2 will VARY, depending on how many video source devices are physically turned ON at the moment.

Dilligaf, tried OBC=136. No luck. Doesn't work. Thanks for suggestion anyway - everything points to that it should be the correct code, but for some reason it doesn't work.

3FG, wow! Thanks for the remotecentral link. Even though it lists OBC=136 for what I am looking for (and it doesn't work as I said above), it's an excellent and comprehensive code set, and it helped me to fill in a lot of "question marked" cells in the code list that I found to be doing something, but wouldn't have a clue of what they actually do.

I have also tried to import the Pronto HEX sequence for COMPONENT2 selection code from that webpage as a "simulated learn" signal using IR8.03 (thanks Vicky for having taught me a technique). It is recognised as NECx2,7,7,OBC=136 but no luck in the action again. Other "simulated learns" from there work fine.

I am starting to suspect that either there's something buggy in the firmware of this particular TV-set of mine, or there's some subtle trick in how the sources should be connected to TV in order for OBC=136 to work. Studied the User Manual for this subject, but found no clues.

It's not a big deal really - it's more of a "splinter" feeling of being so close to the complete upgrade, but still one step away from it, knowing that you can not make this step because of the silly thing like this.

Oh! forgot to mention: The whole upgrade also seems to work OK if I use NECx1 protocol with the same device/subdevice numbers (7,7). The difference (from my undedicated point of view) is that NECx1 only transmits the short infrared sequence, no matter how long the button is held down on the RemoteCtrl, whereas NECx2 keeps the transmission on for as long as I keep the button pressed. (I am judging by blinking front panel LED)

Sorry for the long(ish) post.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
Rob, your suggested "macro" strategy could be more difficult than it looks, because the SOURCE button only cycles through the "live" sources (i.e. the ones that see the actual video signals on the input (bl**dy intelligent source selection!)).
So, the number of "virtual" (macro) presses of SOURCE button, required to get to COMPONENT2 will VARY, depending on how many video source devices are physically turned ON at the moment.

Right, but if you connect something to every input, just for the purpose of determining the sequence, you could then program the macro to select the input that's before COMP2, and then select SOURCE in order to get to COMP2.

digital_silence wrote:
Oh! forgot to mention: The whole upgrade also seems to work OK if I use NECx1 protocol with the same device/subdevice numbers (7,7). The difference (from my undedicated point of view) is that NECx1 only transmits the short infrared sequence, no matter how long the button is held down on the RemoteCtrl, whereas NECx2 keeps the transmission on for as long as I keep the button pressed. (I am judging by blinking front panel LED)

A device that uses NECx2 will always respond to NECx1 (likewise an NEC2 device will respond to NEC1) but the buttons won't repeat properly.

On the flipside, a device that uses NEC1 or NECx1 will freak out if you try NEC2 or NECx2.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
Thanks to everyone responded.

Vicky, I am glad I was finally of help for someone in this forum (for a change... Smile)

Yes the macro strategy is difficult, although I've employed it since 2001. On my Samsung, the source button will cycle through any source that has a cable plugged in, whether or not there is anything attached to that cable or not. There doesn't have to be an actual signal on the input. But when I have guests who want to plug into the video source to play video games, or whatever, I have to load the correct version of my IR file. I have the feeling that you are doing a lot of testing of equipment and swapping things in and out, so yes this could be quite difficult to work with a macro.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Right, but if you connect something to every input, just for the purpose of determining the sequence, you could then program the macro to select the input that's before COMP2, and then select SOURCE in order to get to COMP2.
Good thinking, Rob... This may be the way to go. It'll work except when nothing's plugged into COMP2... but why would you want to switch to it then anyway?

vickyg2003 wrote:
On my Samsung, the source button will cycle through any source that has a cable plugged in, whether or not there is anything attached to that cable or not. There doesn't have to be an actual signal on the input.
This is true, but only for those round yellow (AV) or green (COMPONENT) video connectors (called RCA), as they use the mechanical switch to determine the physical presence of the plug. This does not work, however, for HDMI inputs (no wonder you haven't noticed this if your TV is 2001 - HDMI wasn't around at that time yet). So, may be difficult indeed in my case where I have three HDMI inputs... but Rob's amended strategy above should do the job.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't really an amended strategy, I just explained it in more detail.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it was my AMENDED understanding of Rob's solid strategy... :-)

There's still one little issue in it Rob. Let's assume that COMPONENT1 is preceeding COMP2 in the source cycle through. When you select COMP1, the TV goes "blind" (does NOT react to any IR signals) for a couple of seconds, until the TV switchover to COMP1 is completed. That means there has to be a delay in the macro between COMP1 selection code and SOURCE button code, otherwise the TV will just "ignore" the second part, being still too busy with selecting COMP1.

I am not that familiar with working with macros, so will have to learn how to implement that delay.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to insert a Pause. In RM, select the Pause protocol and read the notes. It describes rather well how to create a Pause and use it.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Capn Trips, I'll do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: