JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Capture IR without Widget?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abishur

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Capture IR without Widget? Reply with quote

Is it possible to capture an IR signal from any IR receiver that is attached to my PC (such as the one that came with my media center remote?) Or is there something special about the IR widget that let's it decode the signal?
cauer29

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Capture IR without Widget? Reply with quote

abishur wrote:
Is it possible to capture an IR signal from any IR receiver that is attached to my PC (such as the one that came with my media center remote?) Or is there something special about the IR widget that let's it decode the signal?

A media center IR receiver would not be able to capture the sort of detail that the widget can, since a media center IR receiver would only provide the envelope of the signal without any frequency info. Also, you wouldn't be able to use the software available for use with the widget. If you don't have or for some reason don't want to purchase a widget, the next best thing is a JP1 learning remote, as much of what the widget can do, a JP1 remote with cable can do, just not as conveniently.

A.A.
abishur

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, I was afraid of that. It is a learning remote, I just didn't want to have to teach it that much! Razz
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time a remote will capture everything a widget will. However sometimes signals are not "learnable" because they are too complicated but a widget doesn't care how complicated the signal is, it captures the timing information.

A widget is a very convenient capture mechanism. I have a lot of trouble with the awkward remote-to-remote learning. I could never remember what I put where, and often had bad learns, so the process was annoying enough that I wasn't capturing all of my remotes. BAD MISTAKE.

If it were just one piece of equipment, I don't know if I could have justified the expense. However I am learning signals all the time.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you still have the URC-8910 that you bought a few years ago? And if so, do you also have a JP1 cable? If you have both, you have everything that you need to capture the signals from a new device and use the captured info to build an upgrade.

We're here to help if any part of the process is too challenging.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: