JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My 9910 is now hard work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another cool little ditty, try doing a Google search for "the answer to life the universe and everything"
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your 42V auto link dates back to about 2002. AFAIK most cars never did switch to 36V batteries (42V being the charging voltage).
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
So now the bigger question is, why do you want to carry your remote like that? Smile

Smile Very Happy Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Do I need to describe to the JP1 crowd the necessity of a handy remote as you go from room to room when the OTA TV vs decoder box vs DVR tuner each come in at different time for audio and you can't find the 'other' remote? ... or the need to keep ToadTogs in synch with the gear to keep DH or family happy? As you see, convenience is not at all as profound as any of the interesting ideas above.
And no, it'll not solve Vicky's 41 remotes issue, though it does offer a way to isolate at least one stable remote in the house Smile

Rob, inside the 8910 is a hidden red LED. I thought it might be the learning LED, but as I cracked open 6131o, it, too, has one of those red LEDs and 6131 is not a learning remote. So what is it?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Rob, inside the 8910 is a hidden red LED. I thought it might be the learning LED, but as I cracked open 6131o, it, too, has one of those red LEDs and 6131 is not a learning remote. So what is it?

Can you describe where this LED is, or better yet, post a pic.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picture
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/5232/redled.jpg
8910 isn't that obvious, but as it's closed now, it's the only pic I have from the 8910 adventure.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the red led that lights up when you press buttons and flashes back responses when you use commands like 990, etc.
cauer29

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
That's the red led that lights up when you press buttons and flashes back responses when you use commands like 990, etc.

On both of my 8910s there is a small hole just above the LCD that is intended to allow you to see the LED flash for each button press. So, I'd hardly call that "hidden".

A.A.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Liz accidentally pushed her red LEDs out of position so that they no longer line up with the hole in the casing, and so she considers them hidden.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooops Embarassed
Ok, not hidden. Definitely not bent.
When I look head on, the red LED lights up. I was so concentrating not to break the case, the traces, any components, that I completely forgot about that blinking red when IR fires.
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ube opened this thread with a simple complaint:
Ube_Astard wrote:
I have to press it several times and move it closer to the item to get any response, and yes this is even with fresh batteries.
A key question here to make sure we know what he means by any response would be to ask 'does the red transmit LED on the remote flash reliably when buttons are pressed?' If it does not, the remote's processor is not detecting button presses, and dirty contacts is a valid possibility. But . . . if the red transmit LED on the remote flashes but the equipment doesn't always respond, that shows the key switch did its job and the processor detected contact closure, so cleaning contacts is a waste of time. The problem is more likely a failing infrared LED or the transistor used to turn it on, problems difficult for a non-technician to diagnose and repair.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took two things from his complaint, I took "press it several times" to mean the contacts were becoming dirty and "move it closer" to mean that the IR signal was deteriorating. I knew I could the former but not the latter.
floyd1977

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
My response for the buttons not working is to reboot the box. Everytime I experienced a brownout, where the lights went dim, all of my set top boxes started ignoring my remote and I had to move within inches of the unit to get my remote to work. For me, the problem was never with my 10 year old remotes, but rather with the devices they controlled.

Rebooting the boxes, is definately worth a shot if not ALL of your devices are having trouble where you are having to move closer to get your remote to work.

Thanks for the tip. The last couple of weeks, I've had a hard time controlling my Dish Network receiver with my 9910. I remembered reading this thread last week, so this weekend I rebooted my receiver, and now I'm back in business. I should've thought to do this sooner since I was having no issues with my audio receiver, BluRay player, etc.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So bottom line, no problem with the remote, it was all in the Dish receiver?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
So bottom line, no problem with the remote, it was all in the Dish receiver?

Well for me and floyd anyway. I'm not sure what UBE's trouble was.

floyd1977 wrote:
Thanks for the tip. The last couple of weeks, I've had a hard time controlling my Dish Network receiver with my 9910. I remembered reading this thread last week, so this weekend I rebooted my receiver, and now I'm back in business. I should've thought to do this sooner since I was having no issues with my audio receiver, BluRay player, etc.

I'm not surprised. My worst offender was my OTA Echostar receiver, which is a realitive of the Dish Network receiver. It was a really nice box, with lots of features, but it often got itself into a state where it was unresponsive to the remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
andyross

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As more and more devices are basically computers, this seems to be happening more and more. I've had to reboot my Comcast/Motorola cable box a few times because the remote response became too slow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: