JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony Air-Egg protocol?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carwarr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: Sony Air-Egg protocol? Reply with quote

Looks like I have another tricky one. A friend has a Sony STR-DE805G Receiver with the RM-VR1 Air Egg remote. This remote just has a volume +, Volume -, and an up, down, left, right joystick with a push in for select. It is looking like it is Sonys strange 455Khz frequency protocol and I don't know if it can be learned or not. I did have a hard time getting it learned. I uploaded the learned buttons from my 8810w here.

I looked at the Official UEIC device and protocol upgrade for the DA90ESG "Vision Touch" receiver which is posted at yahoo which might be the same protocol but that receiver uses a regular remote not the egg. If anyone can look at my file and see if it might match that upgrade. I can't seem to tell if they look the same or not.

I will try that upgrade when I get back to his house and see if it works. Just wanted to see if anyone can tell if they look the same. If it does work, he will be incredibly happy as he will have many other functions he can use that the origional remote did not have.

(by the way, I was gloating how great the JP1 remotes are and he said he has tried 6 different learning remotes including the Pronto, so if this works, I will really be able to smirk that this little $20 remote will work for him Smile )

Thanks
Mitch

Last edited by Carwarr on Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know for sure that the file will work, but I do know that you can't learn those commands. I believe it will work for all Sony Receivers with a "G" at the end. Give it a try.

AFAIK, only the OFA the RTI TT and some expensive custom control systems have support at this time.

I believe that Rob just used this protocol with someone he was helping out.
Carwarr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I will give them a try then. I forgot to mention in the origional post that the learned codes did not operate the receiver. So that is why I though it would not work properly. I tried to learn the codes from that other protocol with my other remote and compare them and that is where I was not seeing anything that matched.

Last edited by Carwarr on Sun Feb 01, 2004 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, here is a link that suggests the OFA remote will work:

http://www.remotecentral.com/features/premotes.htm
Carwarr

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I saw that info too. I will let everyone know if this works for this receiver too.

Is it possible that these remotes cannot learn this high of a frequency but is still able to reproduce it? I guess I will know when I give it a try.

Mitch
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carwarr wrote:
Is it possible that these remotes cannot learn this high of a frequency but is still able to reproduce it?

Yes, UEI remotes produce signals in quite a different way than they do learning. We know that UEI remotes can successfully produce signals in the 455Khz range, we just don't know if those signals will work for your friend's receiver.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carwarr wrote:

Is it possible that these remotes cannot learn this high of a frequency but is still able to reproduce it?

It is quite easy to produce a protocol upgrade for signals in this range (assuming you have some other source from which to discover what the signal should look like), even though the learning logic can't capture it.

I didn't check the links posted here, but since other experts are saying it works, I'm confident that someone did find a good enough alternate source for what the signal should look like.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Pronto CCF file that supposedly will do the job.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

The Pronto ccf file is for a hardware solution to the problem. Sony has a wired interface called Control-A1 and this solution uses a common IR receiver at a carrier frequency of 38 KHz to receive and demodulate the signal. The pronto file is for the Control-A1 commands. I decoded the ccf file sometime last year and created a protocol upgrade with PB for a user who had done the hardware solution and it is in the JP1 files also.

The 455KHz protocol is quite different besides being at a higher frequency.

Both solutions were reported to work. The official upgrade/protocol has the advantage of not requiring any additional hardware, but the lower frequency solution has the advantage for people using IR distribution systems that generally don't handle 455KHz either.
Carwarr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got back to my friends house and tried the upgrade suggested for his Sony receiver and it did not work. I uploaded my IR file here if anyone wants to make sure I did the upgrade correctly. This is my first one that needed a protocol upgrade so maybe I did something wrong.

If that looks ok, is there anything else I can try? It seems to me that it would use the same protocol and if so, can I try going through all the advanced codes by hand (with the set & 3 digit code) to see if that will work or because it is using a 2 bit protocol is that not possible?

Thanks all.
Mitch
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got word on the signal used by the egg and it is different to the one used in the other "G" receivers. Thy this code in your URC_8810w and let me know how it works...

Upgrade Code 0 = 2B 2F (Amp/0815)
15 00 48 86 61 30 08 00 49 C9 29 9E 5E DE 30 1E 30
End

Upgrade Protocol 0 = 01 15 (S3C8+)
02 02 31 8B 14 F5 15 05 07 02 58 01 18 01 2C 01
18 59 69 04 B3 01 18 00 03 08 05 76 06 01 6B 04
20 01 10 C0 10 C0 FB 03 E6 12 08 8D 01 49
End

(The code on the MUTE button was just a guess on my part as the original remote appears not to have a MUTE button)
Carwarr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. I will give that a try. Now with that protocol, can I try manually entering EFC's to try to find other codes?(using the set and 3 digit #)?

Mitch
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This protocol is exactly the same as the regular Sony 12/15 protocol, except that it runs at a frequency of about 1 mHz (rather than 28 kHz).

The few functions that are defined use exactly the same device codes and OBCs as the ones used by receivers that use the normal Sony protocol, so my guess is that all the normal commands will work.

Your first clue as to whether all the other functions will work is whether the MUTE button works. The official UEI code doesn't define an EFC to the MUTE button (they just repeat the VOL- code), but I changed the upgrade I posted to use the regular code for MUTE, so if that works my guess is all the normal functions will work.

If you want to experiment, rather than messing about with SET+nnn tests, load a regular Sony receiver upgrade into KM and tweek it to your heart's content, then once you've loaded it into IR, change the protocol from "00 CA" to "01 15" to make it use the protocol I just gave you. To change the protocol, edit the first byte of the device upgrade data from "CA" to "15", then check the "Protocol >FF" box.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mitch, what's the word?
Carwarr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay. I got your info and just have been too buisy to even get online. My friend lives on the other end of Vegas about 10 miles away so it takes me a while to make it back over there. I will post what I find so we can make an upgrade for others.

Thanks for all the info. I didn't really wrap my mind around all that you said in the previous post so i will probably be qustioning you more about that! Mainly that I could not find a normal sony 12/15 receiver upgrade that seemed to match the buttons you found.

Anyway, I will let you know.

Mitch
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: