JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

10820n problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBMC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: 10820n problem Reply with quote

This question might have already been answered, if so, sorry for the repeat. Two times in the last 24 hours certain keys on my 10820n remote have stopped working. The only way to get the remote fully functional again is by taking out the battery and holding a button down, then replacing the batteries. Both times, the remote has returned to normal operation. I know that I have had to do that when removing the remote from the jp1 interface, but now it has happened twice while just sitting on the coffee table. Any ideas on what is going on? Thanks in advance.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really saying that the whole remote stops responding, or just certain buttons? If it really is just certain buttons, is it random which buttons stop working or is it always the same ones?
CBMC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem to be always certain ones. None of the power buttons, or volume work. All the controls on my Directv HR24 still work fine. But, yes, it always is the same ones, but not all of them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you try and keep track of which buttons go bad, and when one of them does go bad, could you check if it's bad in all device modes.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you running the extender?

Have you programmed FAV functionality?

How old are your batteries?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
CBMC

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Could you try and keep track of which buttons go bad, and when one of them does go bad, could you check if it's bad in all device modes.

Rob, yes, if it happens again I will check this. It hasn't happen again tonight.

vickyg2003 wrote:
Are you running the extender?

Have you programmed FAV functionality?

How old are your batteries?

Vicky, no, I am not running an extender, nor do I have my Fav button programmed. As for the batteries, they are freshly charged Eneloops tested @ 800mah in my Maha Wizared C9000, so I doubt they are the problem. Both times this happened I had left the remote idle for a couple of hours, when I came back certain buttons were not working. When hitting these buttons nothing would happen (no "master button" light, or control of device). Certain buttons would work. So that also makes me believe that it isn't a battery issue. Like I said, it is easy to fix by just pulling the battery and pushing a button, then, replacing the battery...So it is not that big of a deal. Plus, it has only happened twice (albeit, both yesterday). I am just trying to figure out what could be causing this?

Thanks for the responses.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBMC wrote:
I am just trying to figure out what could be causing this?

So are we, because we haven't heard of anything like this happening before.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
CBMC wrote:

Could it be possible that the rechargeable batteries are under powering the remote and thereby causing anomalous problems with the discrete circuity? I noticed the Sayno Eneloops are listed to be 1.2V as opposed to 1.5V. If I remember from my high school science class that batteries don't maintain their voltage throughout their life. Instead, as it gets closer to depletion the output voltage tends to drop. This is the reason that batteries can appear to be dead in one device yet power a lower draw device.

Or, you know... my other guess would be, "ghosts".
CBMC

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eferz wrote:
The Robman wrote:
CBMC wrote:

Could it be possible that the rechargeable batteries are under powering the remote and thereby causing anomalous problems with the discrete circuity? I noticed the Sayno Eneloops are listed to be 1.2V as opposed to 1.5V. If I remember from my high school science class that batteries don't maintain their voltage throughout their life. Instead, as it gets closer to depletion the output voltage tends to drop. This is the reason that batteries can appear to be dead in one device yet power a lower draw device.

Or, you know... my other guess would be, "ghosts".

That is a thought. I have a couple of 10820n and have never had it happen in the year or so I have had them, so while I doubt the batteries are the cause (fresh and tested), it is a possibility. And I definitely think it is something wacky in the circuitry. Might just need a new remote. That being said, it didn't happen at all yesterday, so we will see. Thanks for the help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The motto back at "One For All" HQ is that most problems are caused by one of three things:

Batteries, batteries or batteries.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experience behavior such as you describe when the batteries are running low. I blamed the extender at first but tested again with a reset remote and it was the low batteries that was causing the problem. Although my 8820s do function for ages (like three months or so) with rechargeable (1.2V NiMH) batteries, that might be more by luck than by design so you really should test the remote with fresh 1.5V batteries and see if it still has problems. The Eneloops are reported to have a good discharge curve and to hold their charge for a long time but their overall capacity is not as high as some other rechargeable batteries and their voltage under load might drop below 1.2V.
venik

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Similar problem Reply with quote

His 10820N problem sounds rather similar to my recent difficulties with my veteran 8820 (see message elsewhere on this forum). I never tried to revive the ailing buttons by taking the batteries out, etc., but I did replace the batteries with fresh (alkaline) ones when the 8820 started acting up, but, alas to no avail.
In my case the problem is always with the MASTER/POWER button-- everything else seems to work just fine.
Perhaps these buttons have a limited lifespan-- after all, the remote cost me only $9....
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar problem Reply with quote

venik wrote:
His 10820N problem sounds rather similar to my recent difficulties with my veteran 8820 (see message elsewhere on this forum).

Are you sure you posted about it, I tried searching but couldn't find your post.
venik

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: 8820 button problems Reply with quote

I could not find my earlier 8820 post either-- must have been lost in the Ether.
In any event I do have a weird problem with my beloved, 2-3 years old 8820-- it fails to turn the TV on or off, although occasionally it manages to do that. I have the same difficulty with the Yamaha receiver.
I am beginning to suspect that the Master button has had it, since all other functions seem to work just fine.
The batteries are fresh, so I might be facing the expense of shelling out another $9 for a new 8820, if they are still around.
I am not enthusiastic about replacing it with a 10820, since it uses 4 batteries for no good reason (at least none that I am aware of), but if I have no other alternative, that is what I shall have to do.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 8820 button problems Reply with quote

venik wrote:
I could not find my earlier 8820 post either-- must have been lost in the Ether.
In any event I do have a weird problem with my beloved, 2-3 years old 8820-- it fails to turn the TV on or off, although occasionally it manages to do that. I have the same difficulty with the Yamaha receiver.
I am beginning to suspect that the Master button has had it, since all other functions seem to work just fine.
The batteries are fresh, so I might be facing the expense of shelling out another $9 for a new 8820, if they are still around.
I am not enthusiastic about replacing it with a 10820, since it uses 4 batteries for no good reason (at least none that I am aware of), but if I have no other alternative, that is what I shall have to do.

The 8820 has been replaced by the 8820N. Its very similar to the 8820, but you will need to reformat any upgrades.

I don't know why the 10820 needs more battery power. But I do have both the 8820 and the 10820.

The 10820 and 10820n are a lot bigger than the 8820. I tend to like littler remotes like the urc-7800, urc-6011 and the old urc-6131, but I really like the huge 10820 a lot better than the 8820. Its shape lets you know immediately which end is which and it feels good in the hand.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: