JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RemoteMaster/RMIR v2.00-preview5 is now available
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I know that most of the time keymoves are being generated Embarassed I did a little testing

Bug

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

See that keymoves are not being formulated correctly. They are coming in as 3 digit EFC's when this remote uses 5 digit EFC's (2 byte hex comands)

If I edit them they change and are saved correctly.

Note also the need for some sort of keymove verfication, but that is a feature request. Not sure if I should mention that or let it slide.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug (I think Embarassed ) when creating keycode type keymoves.

Since I thought 3 byte keymoves were keycode keymoves

I set up a keymove that was on key nine and found that 1E was key 9, and EFC 194. So I tried doing a keycode style keymove

Raw code says
27 DA 00 hex command says 1E 1E is the 9 key

I couldn't find it in the EEPROM area though.

In IR this translates to hex of 194
27 DA 1E Efc

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on adding support for using device upgrade functions in the keymove editor. When that is ready, I'll build preview 6
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*BUG* RMIR is not selecting the same RDF as IR. This was a URC-8811 2k not a 1k. IR selects a different RDF

*Feature Request*

I see that RMIR can remember the last RDF you did with a file new, but after a download could the highlighted remote, be the current RDF in use instead of the last new you did?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned this before, but I didn't get the impression you knew what I was saying so here it is in pictures.

When you look for keymaster sheets in RM it works,

But when you are looking to load keymaster sheets from RMIR, it won't show you txt files only RMDU files will show.

ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, I do see KM files working from RMIR. In fact just pushed one into RMIR.

Edited_ In case anyone read this one post, I had an error report here and a file, but it was my error. So the stuff is deleted now.

Edit2: Vicky's right, I got the KM upgrade in by selecting "All Files" not just KM. When KM selected, no files are listed

Last edited by ElizabethD on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to keep a function as a key move when it can be directly assigned in an upgrade, other than because you have run out of upgrade memory? If this is the only reason, and it seems to be so in the Capn's case, it will be resolved when RMIR can overflow memory sections into one another in the way that IR.exe can. This is certainly a feature on the RMIR to-do list. If there is no other reason for wanting to do this, I see little point in spending effort on constructing a special mechanism for it as a stop-gap.

The obvious examples are where (a) you want to use a button from another device or (b) your device uses multiple protocols and/or device codes.

An example of (a) might be where you want the PIP buttons to punch thru to the TV when the remote is in DVD mode. An example of (b) might be one of those DVD/VCR combos where each half uses completely different protocols, but each mode needs one or two buttons from the other.

But there's one more important consideration that the new RMIR approach completely misses, and that's the fact that some people like to have control over how their remote is programmed, and don't want a computer program making decisions for them. That's why the new RMIR is getting so much resistance from the experts.

The IR.exe program was developed to give us complete control over every aspect of what's in our remotes, and it gives us the ability to break out of several of the limitations that UEI deliberately programmed into the remote. There's something about the new RMIR approach that feels like those limitations are coming back. It's almost like we're being told that we're not allowed to have keymoves (or whatever) anymore, unless we can come up with a good justification for them.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

The obvious examples are where (a) you want to use a button from another device or (b) your device uses multiple protocols and/or device codes.

An example of (a) might be where you want the PIP buttons to punch thru to the TV when the remote is in DVD mode. An example of (b) might be one of those DVD/VCR combos where each half uses completely different protocols, but each mode needs one or two buttons from the other.

Rob, these can be handled using external functions in RM-IR. I used this even when using RM and IR for (b).

xnappo
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
There's something about the new RMIR approach

It's not new, it has been in the design of RMIR from the beginning.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
See that keymoves are not being formulated correctly. They are coming in as 3 digit EFC's when this remote uses 5 digit EFC's (2 byte hex comands)

Please post the .ir file for the URC-8820N that you were using. I cannot reproduce this with using New to create a URC-8820N file.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
*BUG* RMIR is not selecting the same RDF as IR. This was a URC-8811 2k not a 1k. IR selects a different RDF

Since both versions have the same signature, you should have been asked to choose the correct one. Were you asked?

In your post above about this, I see no relevance to the "Select Remote Type" dialog, which shows a totally different remote from the URC-881x 1k that you have circled on the main panel. Am I misunderstanding your issue?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Since both versions have the same signature, you should have been asked to choose the correct one. Were you asked?

I was asked and presented with a confusing list of numbers. IR never asks (or if it did ask, it was 10 years ago and I don't remember the answer) . I did have a 1k version once, but I can't find it, so I must have given it to someone, so I can't test this to see how it works.

Edit: I had originally reported that RMIR didn't ask, but now see that it does, but it still stands the IR doesn't ask.

Quote:

In your post above about this, I see no relevance to the "Select Remote Type" dialog, which shows a totally different remote from the URC-881x 1k that you have circled on the main panel. Am I misunderstanding your issue?

Yes I don't see any relevence to the Select Remote Type dialog either, that's the point. The original intent of my post to ask for this feature, It was only when I circled the remote for illustration, that I realized RMIR had selected the wrong RDF.

The select remote type comes up with the last RDF from a FILE->New, it doesn't reflect the remote you just downloaded from, nor does it reflect the last RMIR file you opened.

I prefer the new RMIR dialog, to the dual menu item in IR, but only if it will default to the current RDF.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Rob, these can be handled using external functions in RM-IR. I used this even when using RM and IR for (b).

xnappo

I do believe the orignial intent of the external functions was to complete the upgrade for the piece of equipment in question with a helper upgrade. For example we had the Yamaha Gap signals, where most the signals are nec1, but several functions require a different protocol executor.

I find them so confusing that I've never ventured there so I don't know for sure. But I would think it would make it a lot more work to share your upgrades, because you would need to remove external functions for unrelated equipment.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Please post the .ir file for the URC-8820N that you were using. I cannot reproduce this with using New to create a URC-8820N file.

I've been playing with that IR file that I posted with the missing keymoves, which just turned out that I lost the assignment. I didn't save this, as my real purpose was trying to figure out the elusive error where the setupcode looks like it changes but the usage bar shows no keymoves. But from here, just assign and deassign the button.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1350

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
The Robman wrote:
There's something about the new RMIR approach

It's not new, it has been in the design of RMIR from the beginning.

*sigh* yes we know its been in RMIR from the beginning, its "new" because it departs from the IR approach that most of us like very much.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: