JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Batteries
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Batteries Reply with quote

I thought batteries were not supposed to leak any more. I've had 3 batteries rupture since I came home from FL, and the last one I had my microphone on my desk, and all of a sudden I hear the distinctive opening of a pop can, but I'm all by myself down here in the basement. Well I looked down and my batteries were leaking all over my papers.

What is it that causes batteries to rupture in my JP1 remotes? Is it excessive uploads and downloads?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Batteries Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I thought batteries were not supposed to link any more. I've had 3 batteries rupture since I came home from FL, and the last one I had my microphone on my desk, and all of a sudden I hear the distinctive opening of a pop can, but I'm all by myself down here in the basement. Well I looked down and my batteries were leaking all over my papers.

What is it that causes batteries to rupture in my JP1 remotes? Is it excessive uploads and downloads?

Batteries are designed and built to not leak. The components needed to keep an electrical charge are poisonous and can be extremely hazardous to your health if swallowed or even touched.

The probable cause of those battery leaking is be exposure to extreme temperatures and humidity that the inner components do not do well with. Also, after prolonged periods of time, battery's casing might begin to rust and decay, thus allowing the leak.

What kind of batteries are you using?

Last edited by eferz on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duracell AA's. I didn't know that I shouldn't touch, the liquid.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Most like they're alkaline batteries then. Alkaline battery leakage is extremely caustic and contact with bare skin should be avoided. The potassium hydroxide can harm your eyes, damage skin and cause respiratory problems. In the event that battery leakage comes in contact with your skin, flush the area for 15 minutes with copious amounts of water.

As for the device, to clean up an alkaline battery leak, use an acid to neutralize the alkaline material in a well vented area. Neutralizing the alkaline will halt further corrosion of the electronic components.

The best choices are vinegar (dilute acetic acid) or lemon juice (dilute citric acid). Both work and are nontoxic. Do not use water. Water will not neutralize the alkaline leak and may corrode the electronic circuits or cause a short circuit.

Also avoid any alkaline cleaner such as baking soda. An alkaline chemical cannot neutralize another alkaline. Worse, an alkaline cleaner may intensify the corrosive effects of the leak in some electronic components.

Last edited by eferz on Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So dabbing it out with a kleenex was not the best course of action, and since I have it all over my surface, like I said, it sounded like I had just opened a pop can, I probably should do something about that too.

eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
So dabbing it out with a kleenex was not the best course of action, and since I have it all over my surface, like I said, it sounded like I had just opened a pop can, I probably should do something about that too.

Like I said in the previous post, take proper precaution and use the proper solvents and you should be fine.

When alkaline batteries have become discharged, the chemistry of the cells will degrade and some hydrogen gas will be generated. The result of increasing pressure within the battery caused that "popped soda-can" effect.

You might consider using lithium batteries, instead of alkaline batteries. All alkaline batteries will eventually leak due to their chemical makeup. Lithium batteries are more tolerate to extremes in temperature. Most have a built-in vent to relieve any buildup of gasses, yet leakages of disposable lithium batteries are relatively rare. Unless, of course they are mishandled or improperly installed.

Besides, who doesn't love the pink bunny?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Seriously? What did it taste like? Laughing
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Yes, seriously. I know that batteries can damage my remotes, but so can a can of soda... I didn't taste it, but have a nasty red area on my arm where it came in contact with the fluid.

The Caution label says "May explode or leak or cause burn injury if recharged, disposed of in fire or mixed with a different battery type or inserted backwards or disassembled. Replace all used batteries at the same time. Do not carry loose batteries in your pocket or purse,. Do not remove the battery label."

I didn't infer from that, that I could get burned or poisoned from the contents. There was nothing about what to do if they leak.

So I wonder where these batteries were that they are so damaged. They have 5 years to the expiration date.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batteries contain acid, you don't want to go anywhere near the contents of them.

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
eferz
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

The potassium hydroxide is a base, so I'd imagine it tastes bitter.

The Robman wrote:
Batteries contain acid, you don't want to go anywhere near the contents of them.

You're probably referring to the sulfuric acid in lead batteries. I doubt she can fit in a car battery into her remote.

But don't let the cartoonish delusion of acids and bases confuse you. You should be much more afraid of the pH content in a base like lye than of an acid like vinegar.
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dog ate a AA battery, but he's not talking. So the taste of battery alkaline and the baked bean recipe remain a secret.

The remains of the battery looked like a chocolate candy wrapper. I was very relieved to find it was only a battery. Chocolate is bad for dawgs.

eferz wrote:
You might consider using lithium batteries, instead of alkaline batteries. All alkaline batteries will eventually leak due to their chemical makeup.

Quality lithium primary cells are amazing. I have some Tadiran cells that are 15 to 25 years old and none of them are leaking. Most of them still work!
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for alkali being way bad - you don't feel it burning like acid does hence guys on building sites getting burns to the feet when they spill cement in their boots, and reports of severe burns with oven-cleaner products. Many acids at least nip a bit to give you a warning. Nastier by far, though, is hydrofluoric acid which dissolves glass, metal, skin, bone, eyes.

Lithium batteries are, indeed, very very good but I reserve them for my digital camera.

I think, on balance, for safety and environmental reasons I'd go for the rechargeables. I use NiMH rechargeables in all my remotes (8820, 8910, 7562 mainly and they worked fine in my 8040 when I had it).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Timmerman wrote:
Quality lithium primary cells are amazing. I have some Tadiran cells that are 15 to 25 years old and none of them are leaking. Most of them still work!

I have a Casio calculator that I bought when I was in high school (close to 30 years ago) which is still running on it's original set of two AA batteries!
dolivas27

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Vicky I have story just like yours with one of my JP1 remotes and my kitchen table and the wife was not happy with me ruined the table... Embarassed

I have a question for you was the remote plugged into the JP1 programmer?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolivas27 wrote:
Wow Vicky I have story just like yours with one of my JP1 remotes and my kitchen table and the wife was not happy with me ruined the table... Embarassed

I have a question for you was the remote plugged into the JP1 programmer?

Yes it was plugged into my jp1.2/2 usb interface.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: