JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How to hold a button in a macro?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tombongo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: How to hold a button in a macro? Reply with quote

I apologize for the newbie question, but how would one send out a long key press? I don't want to react to a physical long key press, but rather send out a long key press as part of a macro. Is this possible?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the protocol. Depends on the remote. Depends on whether an extender is in use or not.

If the protocol is a simple protocol and uses 3 digit efc;s you might be able to use the device combiner with a specified duration.

Or you might want to tweak the protocol with PB.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
tombongo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replay vickyg2003. Funny you should answer. I am actually using a URC-8820N extender that you wrote and the Harmony PS3 adapter protocol that you wrote. The protocol is the Katherine-like one.

We tweaked the protocol so that the repeat timing was correct for the long key press to be recognized by the PS3 adapter.

Does that help at all to answer your questions about my question?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and read the thread on the adapter and it appears that there are two keys that need to be held. PS and Power.

We could recode the protocol to use 2 hex bytes, one that had a minimum number of repeats.

Quote:
I am actually using a URC-8820N extender

That one is almost ready to come out of beta. I think I stabilized it this week.
As you may have read, this extender holds the last key in a macro. So if you can arrange the key to be the last key in a macro, a long press of the macro key can hold the key.

If you need to have this long press in the middle of a macro, you could put this macro as a two part macro on the FAV key. Press and hold, the FAV key until you are in the state and then press the FAV key again.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
tombongo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the long absence. My three little girls consume my life sometimes. Laughing

vickyg2003 wrote:
I went back and read the thread on the adapter and it appears that there are two keys that need to be held. PS and Power.

We could recode the protocol to use 2 hex bytes, one that had a minimum number of repeats.

The PS3 requires that the PS key is pressed and held, then two OK key presses for confirmation to power down. There is no discrete power off command. I was trying to put together a macro to perform this sequence to power off the PS3.

For the life of me, I can't remember what happens when the Power Off key is pressed. I will test the Power Off key tonight.

vickyg2003 wrote:
As you may have read, this extender holds the last key in a macro. So if you can arrange the key to be the last key in a macro, a long press of the macro key can hold the key.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, the sequence requires two OK key presses to power off the PS3.

vickyg2003 wrote:
If you need to have this long press in the middle of a macro, you could put this macro as a two part macro on the FAV key. Press and hold, the FAV key until you are in the state and then press the FAV key again.

I am not sure what you are suggesting here. A manual keypress of the FAV key? I was hoping to make to power off sequence of all the devices happen with a single key press.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom, I'm lost. Aparently there is a custom protocol that we'd like to be able hold in a macro. I'm on a different computer, don't have any notes on this at all. Could you provide links to the threads and upgrade that uses the protocol?

tombongo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you were kind enough to put together the Kathrein Protocol for me.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=85869

This was needed to control a Logitech Harmony PS3 adapter that converted IR commands into Bluetooth commands to control the PS3.

The protocol that you put together worked very well for all functions. You also made it so a key press and hold would repeat the key press.

I want to setup a macro for my 8820N so that when I press the power button, the sequence of a PS key press and hold, then two consecutive OK key presses are transmitted.

I am using your latest 8820N extender. I need a way to tell a macro to do a press and hold or have it built into the protocol somehow so that the PS key can be pressed or pressed and held via some other means that I can access in the macro.

Thanks in advance!
tombongo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need the ability to do a single key press of the PS key for vital functions.

I had a thought. You may have been eluding to this earlier in the thread. Tell me if I am crazy.

You mentioned that macros hold the last key. What if I create a macro that has just a single PS key press, another that has two consecutive OK key presses, and a third that strings together the first and second macros. Would this essentially transmit a PS key press and hold, an OK key press, and than an OK key press and hold?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken a look, and we have a delayed repeating in the protocol already. I hope to add a second byte in the function tab that says will indicate a hold.

About how long do you want the hold to be? 1/2 second?

I hope to have something up tomorrow, or by Saturday at the latest.

tombongo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things that I need to do with the PS key:

1. Physically press the PS key without holds or repeats.
2. Physically press and hold the PS key to initiate repeats.
3. Virtually press the PS key in a macro without holds or repeats.
4. Virtually press and hold the PS key in a macro to initiate repeats.

I am not sure how this will surface for me, but I will see when you give it to me.

Thanks again!

BTW, 1/2 second sounds about right. I will see when I test.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a 2byte protocol. Any keys that you want to define as a long keypress put a 1 in byte 2.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9258

It still has the half second delay before repeating, but if you define a key as a long keypress it automatically send out 10 repeats without delay. This should have been an easy fix, but the irengine didn't like the combination of protocol flags with 2 bytes of data, and was sending out total garbage. I don't know how I would have done this without a widget.

tombongo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! I will test this weekend.
tombongo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This worked beautifully! The only change I would consider making is changing byte 2 to specify the number of repeats. This way, 0 still means no repeat, 1 = one repeat, 2 = two repeats, and so on.

Thanks again! I would not be able to use JP1 without all of your help.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tombongo, would you please post all the steps in your PS3 macros and indicate which use the held/repeated commands? I think they would be of interest to many people.
tombongo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. vickyg2003 has done everything I need to build all of my macros. In the next few days I plan to finish programming my remote for the room with my PS3. When done, I will post everything about the PS3 portion of my setup. I will probably start a new thread with an appropriate name.

Can I post files somewhere?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: