JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Comcast XMP question for 6131(extender)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Comcast XMP question for 6131(extender) Reply with quote

I've collected all signals from an unnamed Comcast remote for Thomson CBL box by IRscope and Widget.
Then I made a KM upgrade using the JP1 XMP protocol. The OBCs in the file is actually identical to what Rob posted as "Thomson_DCI1011_(Comcast).txt" I can't find the exact link at this point Sad

The upgrade did not work the Comcast box DCI1101. Not one button.

Then I remembered RTFM, read KM protocols help. Therein it says if even one decode is not XMP-1 use UEI and not JP1.
I read what I can about this XMP difficult protocol, but don't get it. And KM help talks about OBC-2, what's that?

One, only one, of the decodes - for number zero - is XMP-1/2. I can't see any difference in the timing report Sad
So should I select XMP-UEI or what? It's for 6131.

I suspect for that one zero this instruction applies: "For XMP-1/2 commands, enter the OBC in the OBC-1 column and enter the OBC-2 in the OBC-2 column."

I'll be grateful for some help and easy to understand explanation of this thing. Thanks in advance.

Edited: added "extender" into the thread title

Last edited by ElizabethD on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official UEI executor for XMP uses 2 variable bytes, but all of the upgrades that we've seen have one or the other of those bytes always set to zero. So, given that most people are going to need a protocol upgrade anyway, we made this parm driven. XMP-1 implies that the first of the two bytes holds the OBC and XMP-2 implies that the other one holds it.

The reason that the ZERO button decoded as XMP-1/2 is because the OBC is zero, therefore DecodeIR doesn't know which byte holds the OBC. So, don't use this as a reason to abandon XMP-1.

We have recently found a problem with the home made XMP executor, so try using the version posted here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=89915#89915
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to ask this Elizabeth, but do you have the latest and greatest version of KM? I think it was KM 9.19 had the XMP OBC area's backwards.

Quote:
it says if even one decode is not XMP-1 use UEI and not JP1.

XMP is a hexadecimal code, instead of the binary codes we are used to. So there are 16 distinct timing pairs instead of two.

There are 2 bytes in the signal where the data could be

The OBC is one byte. If its in the first byte, its OBC1, if its in the second byte, its OBC2...

The reason that 0 comes out as XMP1/2 is because both the areas where the OBC could be are zeros, so that key can't be determined. 0 is both XMP1 and XMP2. So the other codes will be used to determine kind of jp1 code it is.

99 00 would be OBC-1
00 99 would be OBC-2
00 00 what is that? OBC1/2

HTH,

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated the XMP code in KM 9.21 (beta):
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8764
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, the XMP fix was in KM 9.20. What did you change in Beta 9.21?

Edit, I just looked at the next post, and I see you fixed the hold forever problem.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, I think he changed Yamaha.

Rob, Thanks so much for a clear explanation. I messed up before when I tried my upgrade in IRscope. Having seen correct OBCs, I failed to notice that it (KM9.19) was putting out XMP-2 Sad Sad

Vicky, yes, yes, I was obsolete, KM 9.19.

So at this point there's a tiny bit of hope. For instance in CBL mode, 1 2 did go to ch.12, but then ch- didn't take it down one. And then 1 2 did 0 0 0. I can't figure any of it out, but there's chance the 6131 I used was KM9.20 - however that one did put out XMP-1.

I need to make sure 9.21 was used (getting confused here which remote is where).

Finally, in KM setup sheet is a "Final toggle" parameter, it's set to zero. How can I tell what it should be?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Vicky, I think he changed Yamaha.

He also fixed the XMP. In KM 9.20, the register used to keep track of the repeats was being clobbered by some remotes, going into an infinite loop when you pressed a key.

Quote:

Vicky, yes, yes, I was obsolete, KM 9.19.

tsk tsk Wink

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha thing was the main reason that I created 9.21, but I then made a second change to it to allow for the executor problem that was identified earlier.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:
With one exception, the XMP executor from KM9.21 works well Smile, and, unlike the OEM remote, it doesn't lockup the Comcast box, I don't know why. Thanks Rob, Mike, Vicky Smile

6131ext1 problem - repeats.
While everything is OK from the keyboard, as is often the case, macros fail.
(1) NEC2 doesn't send repeat, so decodes as NEC. I can probably handle that one myself. NEC2 sends identical frames, so maybe I can change in PB ??
(2) XMP-1 doesn't send repeat. IRscope says "Incomplete signal start frame with no following frame"
I haven't tested macros on the real equipment yet. Perhaps it'll work as is. But any suggestions will be welcome.

IRscope/Widget ICT file in diagnosis:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8834
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding NEC, that's just the way it works.

Regarding XMP, we may need to set a minimum number of repeats, so that when it's called from a macro (ie, R0D=2) we increase R0D to the minimum.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With PB, I tried playing with R0D. It repeated a single button. But when I tried sending, in a macro the same thing, such as "22" it repeated but did not see two distinct codes, instead it said start frame with 7 repeats.

Then I tried harder to locate a place in code where the loops for repeats might be. In one version it repeated. Forever Twisted Evil . Not what I had in mind.

So then I went back to the original version from KM9.21 and tried sending "22" - it appears that the 9.21 protocol has a problem with, say, channel 22. Because I got start frame with one copy and description "2 frames including distinctive start frame. Incomplete signal: expected end frame missing." so it got seen as a repeat of one of the twos.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't expecting you to try messing with it yourself, so I didn't give more detailed instructions. The XMP executor is not a simple one, so while you can test that R0D is equal to 2 in order to determine that you're in a macro, making it repeat is not as simple as increasing R0D.

I would need to look at the executor itself to see the best way to approach this.

Don't use the JP1 version of XMP from any earlier versions of KM because those versions have known problems.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

22 isn't being seen as two keys because the off-time between the two keys isn't long enough. When you need to send 2 of the same key in a row, in a macro, you'll need to add a pause between them.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't thinking about the fact that this is running in an extender. Do we know if the extender is setting R0D to 2 before it calls the executors? That is what happens in an un-extended remote.

Liz, could you try running the macros in the 6131 without the extender to verify if they work, as that will tell us whether it's the executor or the extender that needs to be fixed.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
I experimented a little, see ICT file
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8835
In it you'll see:
6131 standard, Sony12 was just a sanity check for me since I don't know how to do unestended 6131.
6131 standard, unextended works fine. Distinct signal rows for macro sequence 1221.
8910 extender, not ok, similar but not identical structure to 6131 extender. 8910 standard - not tested, I suspect will be fine
6131 extender, not ok, as described above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: