JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for memory saving suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerbo wrote:
Have I scared you away yet?? Question Laughing

You may well have, that's one interesting setup you have there, especially the mish-mash of half-working audio receivers.

This would take some serious study to see what savings could be made.
Jerbo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Jerbo wrote:
Have I scared you away yet?? Question Laughing

You may well have, that's one interesting setup you have there, especially the mish-mash of half-working audio receivers.

This would take some serious study to see what savings could be made.

That's cool. (Now you know why it took me 4 straight days and 14 revisions to program this baby. And a pissed off wife who wasn't getting any help from me with the kids).

Thanks to mdavej's quick thoughts, one way I could save memory is to cut down on the recurring keymoves that I made for MUSIC, MOVIE, SPORT, and NEWS on each of the device buttons. I could instead put them on one device button (e.g. AUX) and just use O_AUX in the global macros associated with the CBL, TV, DVD, etc keys. That would probably save a good amount of KB's.

I also liked your tip in another thread, Rob, about using device combiner but to first strip out the individual devices that were previously combined into an upgrade file (that I used). E.g. a device combiner for Denon subdevice 2, 4, and 12, and the two associated with the Kenwood, all in one upgrade file. I didn't think I could do that, but perhaps I can.

How 'bout we just leave it that, should I ever need to tweak and find myself out of memory and in need of help, I will come back to y'all helpful folks and ask some specific questions at that time? In the meantime, my file is out there, if anybody wants to take a look and provide some feedback (or have a good laugh), by all means feel free. Thanks again
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've spotted something. You have an upgrade called CD/1308 for the Technics that uses the Panasonic Combo2 protocol, which requires a protocol upgrade. However, all of the buttons in the upgrade and all of the keymoves that refer to this upgrade, use the same sub-device code, so you should be using the regular Panasonic protocol for this. Further more, there is a built in setup code (AMP/0308) in the 15-2104 that should be good enough for this.

Next thing I noticed is that your Kenwood upgrade uses the hacked version of the NEC1 Combo protocol, even though the 15-2104 has the official version built in.

The vcr/1043 upgrade has buttons programmed in it, even though it appears to only be used for keymoves, so therefore it could be empty upgrade.

The following upgrades are also only used for keymoves, but they both have equivalent setup codes in the 15-2104:

cd/1161 (Denon 12) = tuner/0004
cd/1162 (Denon 2) = amp/0160
tv/2016 (NECx1 45.45) = dvd/0591

So, in the following IR file, I have ...
a) deleted the Technics upgrade and edited the keymoves to use AMP/0308 instead
b) changed the Kenwood upgrade to use the official protocol and therefore have deleted the NEC1 Combo upgrade
c) replaced vcr/1043 with an empty upgrade
d) switched all the cd/1161 keymoves to use cd/0004
e) switched all the cd/1162 keymoves to use cd/0160
f) switched all the tv/2016 keymoves to use dvd/0591

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8824

I also edited the keymove that uses cd/1313 to use cd/0313 instead, to save a byte. So now there are 8 bytes of keymove memory free and 187 bytes of upgrade memory.

The VCR/2017 upgrade for the Zenith/Inteq DivX/DVD Player doesn't appear to be used in keymoves or anywhere, so this could be removed.

I only looked at upgrades and keymoves in this pass, I didn't try to see how the device combiner or the multiplexor might help you.
Jerbo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob. I just downloaded and will be trying it out. I have some ideas re: the device combiner (in my previous post) that I am going to play with when time permits... right now, given the extensive DSM's I am making use of, I don't see much need for device multiplexing, since I can easily write a global macro and/or additional DSM's to effectively switch out my devices.

Finally, I am going to try and consolidate some of my keymoves (again, the MUSIC,MOVIE,etc keys from my last post) and try to increase my keymove/macro space.

Is it true that having a remote with more "room" for future upgrades/keymoves/macros, besides the obvious benefit, does it also enable the remote to be "faster" when running macros and/or save on battery power or anything? Not a big deal, but curious if you knew the answer.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerbo wrote:
Is it true that having a remote with more "room" for future upgrades/keymoves/macros, besides the obvious benefit, does it also enable the remote to be "faster" when running macros and/or save on battery power or anything? Not a big deal, but curious if you knew the answer.

I'm not aware of there being any correlation between the remote's "speed" and the amount of free memory present.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider this analogy. If you had a truck full of shoe boxes and many of them were empty then your truck might go faster or farther on one tank of fuel than if all the boxes were full of shoes. Your memory locations, however, are not shoeboxes and they aren't empty because they will contain a value such as "4E" to denote a function or "00" or "FF" to denote "Null", "End-Of-File" or whatever. "4E", "00" and "FF" all "weigh" the same when it comes to electronics and the ammount of energy needed to store or change a value.
Jerbo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all on this forum rock.

Underquark -- makes sense. i didn't think so either, thought it worth asking. Now that I think about it, I have indeed seen that unprogrammed keys get values like "00" stored in them, so you have confirmed what I have visually seen inside of IR without realizing what I was seeing at the time!

Rob -- the IR file you provided works just as well as mine (duh!) and you have saved me a lot of upgrade memory. thanks! I don't know how I got it in my head that to use EFC's (specifically discrete codes not on original remote) that I had to create my own upgrade file. I believe that now I will have to use an additional keymove for each of these functions as a result of switching to the pre-built code, but overall the incremental difference in added keymove memory required will more than be offset by the added upgrade memory you have saved me (since keymoves only need to be done in my case for discreteon,off, and some input selects).

thanks again!!!!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerbo wrote:
I don't know how I got it in my head that to use EFC's (specifically discrete codes not on original remote) that I had to create my own upgrade file.

While you don't need to add the upgrade, its always a good idea to "create" an upgrade that contains all the functions for your equipment, and then save that upgrade in the file section here.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: