JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yamaha RXV365 a/v receiver
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHMO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Yamaha RXV365 a/v receiver Reply with quote

1. Device: Yamaha RX-V365
2. Type of device: a/v receiver
3. Year: recent
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: Comcast URC-1067 DVR remote
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? No
6. Still have original remote? {not stated}
7. Checked the file section? {not stated}
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? {not stated}
9. Partially working setup code? {not stated}
10. Learning remote question? n/a

Comcast DVR remote to control Yamaha RXV365
Title basically says it all. I am looking for a code so that I can control my Yamaha receiver with my Comcast remote. really, all I need to be able to control is the volume and on/off of the receiver. All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SHMO
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aux 0176, looks like it has the same codes as the RX-V595. I'd be suprised if that code didn't work the power and Volume on the Comcast.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
SHMO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...."SURPRISE"....hahaha

the code did not work. I also tried 1176 with no luck. After phoning Comcast, I was given the following codes, which none of them worked either. 1903, 1904, 1907, 1913, 1914 and 1932.

Am I to believe that this is going to be more difficult than expected? Is my Comcast remote even an option?

Thanks,

SHMO
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to Code Search forum and updated original post to use the required template.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, this Yamaha has surprised me before. See this thread

We can control the volume with this remote, but the power button is a problem. There are not many remotes that will shoot a Nec1 126 device without a cable. There is an exceotion though. There is one, the RCA RCRP05B, which has been on clearance at Walgreens this month.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a JP1 upgrade for the RX-V365 here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8287

This upgrade uses the NEC1 protocol with a combination of device codes 122 and 126, which is usual for Yamaha receivers.

The Comcast URC-1067 remote should have the following applicable setup codes:

Audio/0176 = NEC1, dev 122
Audio/1176 = NEC1, dev 122

Unfortunately, it doesn't have Audio/0082, which is dev 126, or Audio/1476, which combines 122 and 126.

The power on/off commands come from dev 126, so you can't do those with the Comcast remote, but you should be able to work the volume using it (when programmed using AUDIO/0176). The CH+/- buttons should work the tuner. You should be able to select the CD input using either the "2" or "6" button. If you tell us which button selects CD, that will tell us which Comcast remote you really have. (Note: 2 means it's the JP1.3 version, 6 means it's the JP1.2 version).

If the "2" button selects CD, then the arrow buttons should work the MENU arrow functions.

We can help you program many more missing functions using "advanced codes".
SHMO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man,

now I got to flex my ignorance....haha

I realize all too well that this is probably pretty simple stuff on this forum. However, I just got my VCR to stop blinking 12:00 about 3 years ago. Ok, I'm kidding, but barely. While surfing around, I see a ton of talk referring to programming this button or changing that function. It is more or less completely foreign to me. So with that said, my understanding is that I will need a JP1 cable so that I can download an upgrade for this remote to work properly with my equipment? However, there is a code I can use to allow the volume function to work without purchasing a cable and downloading?

Sorry for my naivety. If you guys can spell it out real simple for me, I might be able to watch TV eventually...haha

Thanks,
SHMO
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've pretty much got the idea.

Basically, I'm pointing out that the 0176 setup code that Vicky mentioned earlier should work the volume, but not the power. So, without doing anything fancy, you should be able to program the 0176 code to the AUX button by following the instructions in the manual.

Once it's programmed, you can test that the volume buttons work. If they do, the next test I would ask you to do is to try the '2' and '6' buttons to see if either of them select the CD input. If the '6' button selects the CD input, you should also try the arrow buttons to see if they work the on screen menu selections.

If you don't get a JP1 cable, we can help you program several additional functions using "advanced codes". We'll explain how when we get to that point.

In order to get the remote to have full control over your Yamaha, you would need to get yourself a JP1 (Flash) cable. You can get the cable from Tommy Tyler for $29 plus $5 s/h here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405
SHMO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried programming the 0176 code, but when I use the volume key the remote defaults to the TV key.

I am able to press "6" and have the CD input prompt come up on the Yamaha.

I am not able to access any on screen menu feature with the Aux button/arrow keys

SHMO
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, as Vicky said, for $8.50 the RCA will do it all without a cable and is very similar to your comcast.

To fix the vol, hold setup for 2 blinks, 9 9 3, vol+ (4 blinks for success).
SHMO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I got that figured out. I am a slow learner, but I will catch on eventually. bear with me. I setup the EFC 993 for audio to the AUX key. That seemed to get the volume to function. The mute button works as well.

What I am now seeing is the numeric keys control a few functions on the Yamaha. Like I noted previously, key 6 brings up CD input. Key 9 brings up DVD. Key 9 brings up MD/CD-R.

Is there any more I can do without ordering a cable? If I was able to turn the Yamaha on and off, and somehow toggle back to DTV/CBL when one of the numeric keys are depressed, I would be golden. Well, for the time being I would be happy anyway.

The only reason I am messing with this remote, is because I have several of them throughout my home. It is just nice to have them all be similar to lessen family frustration. However if I am simply, "trying to row up river with no paddle", please let me know. I have few qualms about purchasing a new remote. Feel free to give suggestions. If needed, I would be willing to spend up to $150 for something that has good functionality, ease of use and programming. Or, would a cable allow me to do anything I want?

Really appreciate all the help,

SHMO
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several JP1 remotes, but as a family we use multiple Comcast remotes, because everyone likes the feel of them.

I bought one of Tommy Tyler's USB cables, and by loading upgrades, we have very good control of everything. Recently, we had to return a cable box, and it was very convenient to use the computer and cable to set up the replacement remote to be exactly like the returned one.

So from my perspective, using a cable in conjunction with the Comcast remotes is a big win-- certainly financially compared to buying fancier remotes.

Why don't you see if the JP1 approach would work for you? Even without buying a cable, you can get a flavor by downloading RemoteMaster , installing it and then loading the upgrade Rob linked above. After changing the remote type to your Comcast, you'll be able to see the EFCs for each function, and you can enter them into your remote. As explained here, only functions which use device 122 can be programmed in this way, but that is most of them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
After changing the remote type to your Comcast, you'll be able to see the EFCs for each function, and you can enter them into your remote. As explained here, only functions which use device 122 can be programmed in this way, but that is most of them.

Before you do that, ask for some advice here because that upgrade uses a combo protocol and therefore will generate 5 digit EFCs, whereas the 0176 code that you are using is not a combo code and will therefore use 3 digit EFCs with two leading zeroes.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the comcast remotes. I use them on all of my simple setups. They have a nice layout. But Comcast remotes don't have learning.

A learning remote really enhances the JP1 experience. If you have a learning remote and a cable, you use the decoded learns to build an upgrade.

The RCA RCRP05B is a learning remote, that is currently on clearance at Walgreens. $9. It uses the same FLASH cable as the comcast remotes that you already have.

The RCA RCRP05B can be programmend manually to handle your Yamaha, or you can create a custom upgrade and load it via cable.

I'd really recommend getting both the remote and cable if it is in your budget.

Quote:
The only reason I am messing with this remote, is because I have several of them throughout my home. It is just nice to have them all be similar to lessen family frustration. However if I am simply, "trying to row up river with no paddle", please let me know. I have few qualms about purchasing a new remote. Feel free to give suggestions. If needed, I would be willing to spend up to $150 for something that has good functionality, ease of use and programming. Or, would a cable allow me to do anything I want?

The nice things about these inexpensive remotes is you can have them EVERYWHERE. These inexpensive little remotes have lots of potential. The Comcast remotes (red ok/select and gray ok/select) have extenders which can make them even easier to use with all our JP1 tricks.

SHMO

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you say the Comcast remotes have extenders, what exactly is that?

Also, you suggested purchasing the cable and the RCA remote. What would the benefit be with having the RCA remote? Is there things I would not be able to program into the Comcast remote with the JP1 cable? I am not looking to do anything really fancy, just be able to control the basic functions of my equipment.

SHMO
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: