JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for upgrade: STRONG SRT5020 digital set-top Box
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Looking for upgrade: STRONG SRT5020 digital set-top Box Reply with quote

1. Device: STRONG, Model Number SRT5020
2. Type of device: Standard definittion digital set-top box
3. Year: 2007
4. JP1/UEI Remote model: URC-8811
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? No
7. Checked the file section? Yes (see below)
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes
9. Partially working setup code? No
10. Learning remote question? n/a

Additional info: I have tried all four upgrades that exist in Files section for different STRONG set-top boxes - all to no avail.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I counted more than 4 Strong upgrades, so in case you missed some, here's the complete list. However, each model listed here uses a different protocol/device code combination, so the chances of a file for a different model working are not great.

Strong SRT-8410
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7534

Strong SRT-6420 Sat
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7210

Strong SRT-4653 SAT Decoder
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6834

Strong SAT 4355.rmdu
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5276

Strong SRT 5300 DVB-T receiver
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5073
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2031

Strong SRT 5125 DVB-T receiver (freeview)
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3449

Strong Satellite Receiver
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1119

Strong Digital Satellite ZapBox-KM
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1118

Strong 5290 PVR Digital TV
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=787

This last file is a zip containing various Strong upgrades, so it might be worth trying all of them.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1117
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then if none of these work, look at all the various Strong SAT boxes in the JP1 Lookup Tool. That are not similar to the files you've been pointed to here.

BTW: How come you never seem to have the orignal remote?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Simple: That's the equipment that I buy on the flea markets and then fix.
This is not a business, but just a hobby - it's challenging, and keeps me up to date with the technologies used in the variuos types of electronics gear.

Needless to say that the majority of them comes with no remotes.

Most of the stuff I fix I then give away to my friends, but some I decide to keep for myself. In such cases I ask fot the remote upgrades here.

Did this answer your question?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

Simple: That's the equipment that I buy on the flea markets and then fix.
This is not a business, but just a hobby - it's challenging, and keeps me up to date with the technologies used in the variuos types of electronics gear.

Needless to say that the majority of them comes with no remotes.

Most of the stuff I fix I then give away to my friends, but some I decide to keep for myself. In such cases I ask fot the remote upgrades here.

Did this answer your question?

Yes it did. I thought there might be an interesting story behind it and I was right. Smile

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

I have sent you a "semi-private" PM (:-)

Did you get it?

Thanks,
:-DS
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About buying remotes, right? I don't sell remotes anymore, but I do still have a stash of old used remotes that I haven't sorted out yet, which is why I haven't gotten back to you yet.

Actually, if you like the Atlas remote, I have a couple of boxes of them that I bought on ebay but I haven't gone through them either, so I don't know exactly which versions they all are.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Actually, if you like the Atlas remote, I have a couple of boxes of them that I bought on ebay but I haven't gone through them either, so I don't know exactly which versions they all are.

Let me know if you have find JP1.2 Atlases in the group.

digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
About buying remotes, right? I don't sell remotes anymore, but I do still have a stash of old used remotes that I haven't sorted out yet, which is why I haven't gotten back to you yet.

Right.
I don't mind used remotes, and I don't know what Atlas remote is (Google hasn't been explicitly clear on this subject either).

Basically, as long as the remote can be programmed via JP1 cable using the IR tool (with KM or RM upgrades from this site), and also has a learning capability, it is good enough for me.
I don't care about "fancies" like LCD display...
A good example would be my URC8811's - I quite like them, actually.

Could you please see what you can sell me that fits the bill above.

I am not in a hurry - get back to me when it is convenient.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
The Robman wrote:

Right.
I don't mind used remotes, and I don't know what Atlas remote is (Google hasn't been explicitly clear on this subject either).

You might want to look at the Guide to identifying Atlas Remotes

Quote:

Basically, as long as the remote can be programmed via JP1 cable using the IR tool (with KM or RM upgrades from this site), and also has a learning capability, it is good enough for me.

The Jp1 atlases whould be avoided. The Flash Atlases however are much desired. The remotes that are programable with the JP1-EEprom cable are becoming harder and harder to find.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you just looking for remotes that can be programmed with an old fashioned JP1 (EEPROM) cable?
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Are you just looking for remotes that can be programmed with an old fashioned JP1 (EEPROM) cable?

This is preferred, but if there are any other cheap "no frills" remotes available (used are OK too) that require different programming interface, I have no problems building one, as long as the build standard is documented.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have some news here.

I have finally found someone locally who will let me to "learn" the signals from their SRT5020 remote control unit. We have an arrangement for Wednesday.

To be able to create the proper upgrate later, I need to ask you gurus for some advice before I go and do that on Wednesday (I tried to look through the Sticky threads of all forums here, but did not find the answers to the questions below)

Here goes:

1) Which Remote is better to use for such learning: URC8811 or URC8910? (In terms of storage memory and other advantages, if any)

2) User Guide leaflet for URC says that you can only learn into L1 to L4 buttons on your URC. I have a strong recollection of mentioning in these forums that you can learn into practically any button. Any guidance as to what is the best "learning" strategy for me to use in order to make the life easier for all of us (:-) later, when trying to (help me to) decode the signals and create the complete upgrade?

3) There are 33 buttons to learn. Is the amount of learning memory in one URC enough to hold all 33 learned signals? (I realise that this will depend on the signals to learn, but what's the likelihood?)

Here's the RC picture of subj, just in case:
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8811 and 8910 both have the same amount of learning memory. If you need to learn 33 buttons, there's a good chance that one remote won't be enough to capture them all, so my advice would be to bring both learning remotes.

You are correct that you can learn to almost any button, not just the designated learning buttons.

You should learn the buttons to their logical counterpart on the 8811/8910 as much as possible. When you get to the more unusual buttons, you might need to make a list showing what you learned where, just so you'll remember later.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the 8811, but on the 8910 you CANNOT learn to the "exit" button, as this terminates the learning process. I also believe that you cannot learn to the device buttons nor to the setup button, but beyond that you can learn to pretty much any button there.

If this is a limited availability of the source remote for you, you should prepare a list in advance of which OEM button you will learn to which JP1 remote button, so that you don't have to waste time thinking about it when you're there.

Other points, make sure all batteries in all remotes involved are brand new and good. Review the proper learning technique. The first post is for your 8811, and the next is for your 8910.

Also, if you have leftover buttons at the end, you may want to re-learn a few buttons to have as a comparison if some of the decodes come out funky.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: