JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NEC 30" LCD TV NLT-30CW
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I see what's going on now. My tabletpc at home blanked it out every time (probably an older version of RM or a tabletpc issue?), but it sticks when I use the latest version of RM on a different computer.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that my posts now initiate two-page discussions... :-)
(means I am not asking trivial questions... :-)))

Thanks to everyone contributed and to mdavej - the upgrade appears to use the correct protocol, but the buttons are wrong, many don't work at all... For example, POWER doesn't do anything, and INFO looks like a discrete for PowerOFF.

Anyway, that's the good start for me - I should be able to work out the rest of them from here.
If someone gets a readily available upgrade, it will be appreciated, but I will work towards making my own one, and will post it here as soon as it's ready.

Do not archive this topic yet... :)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping the harmony database would be closer, but it is what it is. If the buttons are just mixed up, you may have the wrong remote selected in RM. There are a couple of different versions of the 8811, and I didn't know exactly which one to pick. You may also want to try code TV 0054 to see if it has more functions that work. FYI, one thing I noticed from the harmony database is that the vol and ch keys double as arrow keys.

Anyway, I'm glad we got you in the ball park. When you're ready to post the final version, I'll delete mine.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a processor POV, there's only 1 version of the URC-8811, so it doesn't matter which one you pick. There are multiple RDFs because the remote supports different EEPROM sizes, even though 99.9% of them have the 2k chip.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked out almost all codes and buttons, and was hoping to upload the upgrade here soon, but got stuck on "OK/Select" button - I can not find the OBC for it.

mdavej, in your upgrade the OBC codes can only go up to 63. Why?

What I've done is I put the menu on the screen that is waiting for OK buttonpress input on the remote, and then sequentially programmed all 64 OBC codes (0 to 63, in chunks of ten) into numerical buttons, and tried them. None of the 64 OBC codes acted as OK/Select.

Any ideas? Can there be some pecularities in the protocol parameters?
Or is it worth exploring the OBCs beyond 63?

Thanks.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
mdavej, in your upgrade the OBC codes can only go up to 63. Why?

Because of the weird way the RC5 protocol is formatted. In order to get OBCs > 63 you have to enter a second device code in the Setup tab with the "OBC>63" box checked, then when you enter the codes in the Functions tab, select "0,OBC>63" in the Device column.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
In order to get OBCs > 63 you have to enter a second device code in the Setup tab with the "OBC>63" box checked, then when you enter the codes in the Functions tab, select "0,OBC>63" in the Device column.

OK, thanks Rob.

So:
the Device1 is 0, and the "OBC>63" box is NOT checked,
the Device2 is 0, and the "OBC>63" box is checked.

And I have assigned OBCs > 63 codes to some functions (numerical keys), after having selecting "0, OBC>63" in the corresponding Device column.
What's happening now is that when I use the button with OBC<64 (most of them do something, but some don't), the TV's front panel LED is always blinking during IR transmission, regardless of whether I press the button that does the action, or the one that doesn't.

But when I press any button with OBCs > 63, the front panel LED does not even blink (remains steady), and of course those buttons do nothing.

Any further suggestions as to where to look for that ill-fated OK/Select code?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't diagnose the problem from the description, because the symptoms don't make sense. So please load a copy of your original RM file (before you started adding the larger OBCs and also load a copy of the new RM file that gives the strange results.

I just looked at the official TV/0054 code and in that code the MENU button doubles as the OK button, have you tried that (OBC 46)? I see another setup code that uses OBC 82 for both the MENU and OK. Also try OBC 41 and 87.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
I just looked at the official TV/0054 code and in that code the MENU button doubles as the OK button, have you tried that (OBC 46)? I see another setup code that uses OBC 82 for both the MENU and OK. Also try OBC 41 and 87.

1) When navigating through the menus, the OK button acts (or supposed to, as I don't have it yet :) as "enter", and the MENU button acts as "return" or "escape", so the MENU function can not be assigned to the same button as OK in my case, even by the logic of this.
2) Yes, when looking for OK button, I have tried all OBC codes <64, and I have tried 82 and 87 , all with no luck, but as you said, there might be a problem with the way I am trying to work with larger OBC codes.

The Robman wrote:
please load a copy of your original RM file (before you started adding the larger OBCs and also load a copy of the new RM file that gives the strange results.
I am away from my JP1-workspace PC, and will load the files as soon as I get back. (It's a bit silly of me not to have copied the files onto my keyring flashdrive).

In the meantime, I have read my description above, and essentially, what I was trying to say was:
When I add the Device2 with the same Number 0, but checked OBC>63 box, that by itself does not affect a NORMAL operation of any OBC<64 buttons - they all still work fine and still cause the green LED on the TV to blink during transmission. However, buttons with OBCs>63 do not work and do not even cause that green LED to blink.
I'll upload the files as soon as I can.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure makes it sounds like your TV doesn't use any OBCs > 63, which is not unusual. It's possible the function comes from a different device code as some TVs that use RC5 use more than one device code.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, uploaded two rmdu files:

1) This is the working upgrade with wrong OK/Select function OBC code (I have not found the correct one).

2) And this is my attempt to add some OBC codes > 63 using the second device with the same device code 0.

I don't know where to go from here...

What you said Rob in the post just above certainly looks like a most probable scenario. Is there an educated guess as to what device code(s) should be tried? I have tried in Device1 all four codes that Lookup Tool shows for Device3 for RC5 protocol: 3, 5, 8, 31 - none worked.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Manual for this puppy. It looks like OK is only used in a few cases, but Menu is used for most other cases. You've probably already done this, but when you test the gap OBCs, make sure it's in a circumstance when OK actually does something.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mdavej, as I mentioned in my second post on this page, I am using the PROGRAM LIST menu that specifically requires OK buttonpress input to go to a highlighted program, whereas pressing MENU there just gets you to a standard menu, so - clearly different actions between OK and MENU buttons at that stage.
When I was testing all 64 OBCs (0 to 63) I had that PROGRAM LIST on the screen, and none of the 64 codes acted as OK.

As you mentioned, it is not a big deal not having OK, but I thought that would be nice to upload as complete upgrade here as possible, if I can.
I'll spend a bit more time trying different device codes, and then will have to give up on the OK OBC, unless there are more suggestions in this thread.
digital_silence

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turned out to be actually a BIG DEAL not having OK, as you can not complete the channel search and setting procedure without it (you are required to press OK at the end, otherwise the channel search result is NOT stored).

That gave me another poke in the ribs to go look again for OK, and... bingo!

It has turned out that "OK" is using the same OBC as INFO, so it's kind of context-dependant button function - when OK buttonpress is expected, you can press INFO, and vice versa.
Hope I made myself clear.

I have posted the complete upgrade HERE.
Can someone please brush it up and move to the right section. Thanks.

Once again, I appreciate all help you guys and gals gave me in this topic.

The thread can be closed now - SOLVED!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital_silence wrote:
I have posted the complete upgrade HERE.
Can someone please brush it up and move to the right section.

Congrats, and thanks for following up.

As for brushing up the file, here's what I did so you'll know what to do next time.
  • I combined the INFO and OK functions into a single entry, then assigned the new "INFO/OK" function to both the INFO and SELECT buttons.
  • I selected the RM icon as it's an RMDU file.
  • I removed the RMDU file from the zip file.
  • I moved it to the TV folder.
That's all there is to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: