JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Did my JP1.2/1.3 USB flash cable just die on me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOAMattD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Did my JP1.2/1.3 USB flash cable just die on me? Reply with quote

My first post is a bittersweet one - I finally have a reason to communicate with all you fine people after two months of successful JP1 fun and researching answers to my sometimes complicated questions, but of course, it means things are so effed that I need help Razz

I've run into a problem with my USB flash cable (made by Tommy) - tonight I was doing some work on my remote, flashing and reflashing a device upgrade I was experimenting with (and had just finished!) when suddenly IR stopped detecting the remote.

I hadn't closed IR, restarted my computer or installed any windows updates in between the last good flash and the time when IR stopped responding. I think the USB end is fine because the lights will still light up, and the red LED flashes a few times as it tries to communicate. I'm positive the wires couldn't have been pulled out of the 6 pin connector because it's such a solid construction. All I get now is "failed to open jp1.x interface."

My only guess at this point is that something in the wiring is bad. I've tried with two remotes on two computers and the same issue every time. The "check interface" reports driver errors, but I don't see how that could have happened when nothing changed besides me flashing the remote, removing the plug, and re-plugging it in a couple minutes later.

Any thoughts? I am emailing Tommy with this same info to see if he has any insight but wanted to check on the forums first.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low batteries?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto that, Flashing can drain the batteries.

When you replace the batteries, try a 981 reset as well.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
NOAMattD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I solved it, somehow the com ports had gotten corrupt and it was looking on port 3, not port 4 where the cable was.

Well there goes my "undefeated streak" of not asking for help, but since the problem is solved I'll take the opportunity to thank you two (dave and vicky), 3fg, robman and the many other people who have answered all the questions I've had long before I ever had a chance to ask them Very Happy

Now off to flash my receiver device upgrade, ditch my newest OEM remote, fix my macros and enjoy our new speakers!
NOAMattD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke too soon Sad The cable only worked by chance, it's definitely on the fritz. I managed to hold it in the magic position long enough to get one last flash in but it's going back to Mr. Tyler this week for autopsy and replacement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: