JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

is OARN08G a JP1.x remote?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolivas27 wrote:
So guys is this something we can talk to or are we SOL have three of them here ordered for testing.... Rolling Eyes

Well JTAG is a very standard interface - I have a box I could use to talk to the part - however would likely be talking to the debug port, not a port meant for upgrading - which means that since the flash on the chip is 99.999% likely to be secure, the only thing we could do it completely erase it and reprogram the entire remote.

That would be a big task.. Someone else please correct me if the outlook is any better than that. I am curious whether we are going to see more JP1.3 with no upgrade programming interface, or more of these JP2.0 remotes in the future...

xnappo
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is a nice looking remote. I'm looking to upgrade from my 8910s to something equally functional but more ergonomic. (Too big, too many small buttons). Any suggestions? Thanks!
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the 8910 (JP1) very much but now find I prefer the 8820(JP1.2) better - smaller, reasonable amount of buttons, good extender available, very good battery life. No backlight and no LED display, though, just a no-nonsense remote.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friendlyfire wrote:
Wow, this is a nice looking remote. I'm looking to upgrade from my 8910s to something equally functional but more ergonomic. (Too big, too many small buttons). Any suggestions? Thanks!

Still gotta recommend the Atlas OCAP 3033. It is still big, but I find the buttons much more ergonomic. It has a backlight, and the buttons are larger.

I recently 'made an offer' to this eBay post:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230520736621&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

and got 3 for $30 shipped...

xnappo
friendlyfire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have at least three of those Atlas remotes. The come with my cable provider's set top boxes. Sounds like my best bet is to program one of those. Any advice re extenders, etc?
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friendlyfire wrote:
I have at least three of those Atlas remotes. The come with my cable provider's set top boxes. Sounds like my best bet is to program one of those. Any advice re extenders, etc?

For extenders, I think Bill (unclemite) is on the verge of releasing a new version of the extender (like within the week) so you may want to wait. That said the existing extender version 2.10 is very good. Keep in mind though that this is a JP1.3 remote, so you can't use your JP1 cable.

xnappo
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again I venture forth to comment on a matter that is at the limit of, or beyond, my comprehension. It seems to me that a pattern is emerging regarding new remote designs from Audiovox, particularly the OAR models. Rather than provide the JP1.2/3 style bootloader and serial comm port, they may be relying on a TEST mode connector (as in the OAR106G, OARC05G, and what we called the JP1.4) or a JTAG interface (as in the OARN08G), and using this for flashing the program after assembly, test and debugging, upgrades, and everything. If memory is protected, modifications are only possible by erasing the entire ROM contents and reflashing. So we'll never know what's in the original program. I had a discussion with Kevin Timmerman recently regarding this. (The guy is a virtual genius in this area, and it is a shame he doesn't have time to work on this for us.) Kevin suggested we could try connecting a JTAG adapter to an OARN08G, erase it, then load the operating program from a remote with the same (or nearly the same) processor. Operation would depend on the new program using the same critical I/O pins for things such as the IR engine, RESET, etc., but Kevin points out that OFA/Audiovox have been pretty consistent in this regard, so at least there's a chance. And of course the keys would be all scrambled, but that could be remedied later by remapping them. Anyone up for sacrificing a remote to try this?

I don't know enough about JTAG yet to judge whether a programmer could be made that is as inexpensive as, say, a JP1.2/3 interface, or how complicated might be the changes necessary to our software to support this. Obviously we would not want to fool with parallel or serial port JTAG adapters, strictly USB.

Is something this drastic going to be necessary for JP1 to continue in the future with modifying, enhancing, and upgrading the performance of remotes we really like?
dolivas27

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tommy I have couple of the 5 and 8 versions here willing and ready to test. One of each still out of the case from the pictures I posted. I also have this JTAG unit I purchase to unbrick a wireless router. http://www.diygadget.com/jtag-cables/universal-jtag-adapter-for-routers-modem-fta-and-more.html

If this JTAG will work and some can let me know how to wire it to the remote and erase and reprogram the remote I am willing to give it a shot.

dolivas
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to drag out this really old thread, but this remote still exists for a good price, and our capabilities for a JP2 remote are MUCH different from what they were back in 2011 when this thread ended. So, my question is whether or not anyone has investigated this remote any further?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently there is no 6 pin header, nor a place to solder one in. We can talk to the remotes which we call JP2-- which have MAXQ610 processors, and communicate via a serial protocol. However, we don't know if this series of remotes has those characteristics. We certainly don't have the capability to communicate via a JTAG connector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: