JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best way to analyze existing remote signals? (ie. codes)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sofakng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Best way to analyze existing remote signals? (ie. codes) Reply with quote

I've been using a very old RadioShack 15-2116 (I think?) remote control and it's finally died so I'm trying a Logitech 890 RF remote and it seems extremely slow.

I'm wondering if the problem is the codes and delays that it's using.

What's the best (easiest) method to analyze what signals (codes) and repeats/delays it's using?

Ideally I'd like to point my original manufacturer remote at a receiver and have the PC tell me "Dish Network Code: 84 Delay between repeats: 50ms Repeats: 3"

Does anything like that exist?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Best way to analyze existing remote signals? (ie. codes Reply with quote

sofakng wrote:
Ideally I'd like to point my original manufacturer remote at a receiver and have the PC tell me "Dish Network Code: 84 Delay between repeats: 50ms Repeats: 3"

Does anything like that exist?

Yes, if you were to buy a Widget from Tommy Tyler, the IRScope program would give you that exact info.
sofakng

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fro the information.

I actually noticed his device after I posted this question so I've sent him an e-mail and will probably order one.

However, is it possible to use my existing JP1 remote as an IR receiver so I don't need to purchase the widget?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you learn a code into the JP1 remote, you can learn a lot about how a signal is put together. In IR, you'll get the decoded information and if you want to see the timing data go to the ADVANCED MENU and make sure the FORCE LEARNED TIMINGS is clicked.

On the LEARNED SIGNALS tab you can see the timings of the signal and what the repeat frame looks like,

But you can't see how many times the repeat is sent. The Widget would show you that kind of information.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
sofakng

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've purchased an IR Widget and it seems incredibly useful. I've taken a look at learned signals before but I wanted to see exactly how many repeats, etc, it was sending and it looks like the widget is giving me that extra information.

However, my harmony remote responds much slower when repeatedly pressing a button.

For example, if I press the DOWN arrow several times (I am not holding it but pressing it down over and over), the OEM remote responds rapidly and immediately.

The harmony doesn't seem to be able to process the rapid pressing of the buttons and there is a delay or burst of signals between buttons presses.

I've configured it to have 0 delay between signals so I guess this is as fast as the remote goes.

Does that sound normal?
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is normal for a Harmony remote. They are slow to respond.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure. Mine isn't too bad. OP's remote sounds like it hasn't been set up right.

If you go through the harmony troubleshooting, there's also a place to specify repeats. 2 or 3 usually works fine. If you go too low, you'll know it because your device won't respond at all. Sounds like you've only been tweaking the delays.

Keep in mind that the harmony database is built mostly from user learns which could be of questionable quality in some cases. First thing I'd do would be to learn the commands from your OEM remote using short presses. That should give the harmony a nice clean signal it can analyze. And make sure you're not in raw learning mode (custom) in the harmony software. You want analyzed learns so all the extraneous bursts aren't learned.

As a last resort, you can use JP1 tools like RM/KM and MakeHex to generate your own pronto hex and send it to logitech support. They will add the hex codes to your account and the resulting signals will be perfect.
sofakng

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is the reason I purchased the IR Widget from Tommy (on these forums) to see exactly how the OEM remotes are sending their signal.

The OEM remotes do not send any repeats on a single key press. Therefore, the Harmony shouldn't send any repeats, right?

Also, I tried learning the signal for the buttons but it didn't help in speed.

Keep in mind though, if I hold the button it's absolutely perfect but the problem occurs when I repeatedly press it to change channels, etc.

Would sending Logitech a hex string help any? The remote is already sending the correct code... I'm not too familiar with IRScope yet so maybe I'm missing something but it looks like an identical signal just that repeated button presses don't send quick enough...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: