JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-8820/108020 VS RCRP05B + some other questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
embrion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I make IR Widget, I'll be able to dump IR codes and use them to add to remote without learning capabilities like for ex. Atlas URC-1056 ?
Also, I see that this Atlas have no phantoms according to the sheet, but RM says there are 3 of them. Who's right? I'm asking because I might need >5 device buttons in the future. Unless I can assign device button role to any other button?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

embrion wrote:
You know what? I've opened my SAT HD PVR tuner's remote battery cover and... 6 pins Smile
How to check if it is JP1.x ?

Maybe if we say a pic of the front of the remote we might recognize it, but assuming it's one that we haven't seen before, you would need to open it up and show us the PCB. If there's an EEPROM chip on board (usually labeled 24C16 or 24C08) that would confirm that it's JP1. No EEPROM chip would tend to imply that it's JP1.x.

embrion wrote:
If I make IR Widget, I'll be able to dump IR codes and use them to add to remote without learning capabilities like for ex. Atlas URC-1056 ?

The widget will let you capture the signals from your OEM remotes and it will tell you what protocol and device codes are used. You can then use this into to build an upgrade using RM or KM, which you can then load into a remote using a JP1 cable.

embrion wrote:
Also, I see that this Atlas have no phantoms according to the sheet, but RM says there are 3 of them. Who's right? I'm asking because I might need >5 device buttons in the future. Unless I can assign device button role to any other button?

RM gets its info from the RDFs and I would trust the RDFs first. Even if a remote doesn't have phantom device buttons, you can use the Device Multiplexer to stack multiple setup codes onto a single device button.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both are correct. There's a difference between phantom keys and phantom devices. The chart lists phantom devices. The atlas has 3 phantom keys and 0 phantom devices.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

embrion wrote:

The widget will let you capture the signals from your OEM remotes and it will tell you what protocol and device codes are used. You can then use this into to build an upgrade using RM or KM, which you can then load into a remote using a JP1 cable.

The Widget will also let you export these as UEI learns, if you have a remote like an Atlas, that has learning memory, but not learning hardware. Normally we like to take that learning memory and convert it into Keymove/Macro space with an extender. So as Rob says, we normally convert the learns into an upgrade, but its sometimes really handy to convert these into a learn as well. Using a mixture of learns and keymoves can be helpful if you are resisting using extenders, like SOME people we know, ahem Laughing

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
embrion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I definitely will use extenders if get remote that supports it Smile
Long key press is something I fell in love with when I heard about
stangbat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Then, once they've added that missing device, they'll probably create upgrades for all the devices that have built in setup codes in order to make them complete and avoid needing so many keymoves. Then they'll tweak their macros and carry on down the slippery slope into JP1-nerd-land.

This is exactly the path I've taken and I'm on right now. Upgrades handled what I wanted to do initially, and I was pleased as can be. I couldn't imagine it could get better.

After about a year I looked at extenders. I implemented one, it worked, but I really didn't take advantage of it.

Right now over two years later, I'm realizing how utilizing LKP, ToadTog, and phantoms would greatly improve and simplify what I want to do. It just takes time to dig into this, read about it, understand it, and implement it.

Anyway, I'm not adding much to the current discussion. But this thread has convinced me to to see if I can find an RCRP05B to play with it. It looks like it would do everything I want and more. Anyone seen them still on sale at Walgreens?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

embrion,
The remote may respond to a 983 command which (for some remotes) blinks back the remote's signature. If that works, we may be able to recognize the signature.
9XX Commands
embrion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2021(4) - I also pressed "5" and it blinked (4) times, higher numbers were giving 0 blinks
embrion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any chances for RCRP05B extender? or at lest double/long key press feature? I know someone developed fast macros for it, so maybe this might be also not to difficult to code?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

embrion wrote:
Any chances for RCRP05B extender? or at lest double/long key press feature? I know someone developed fast macros for it, so maybe this might be also not to difficult to code?

I know that unclemiltie has put the RCRP05B on his task list, but he's working a new job which is limiting his JP1 development time.

Delving into the inner workings of a remote is a time consuming task. Just porting the 10820 to the 10820n has been way more difficult than I anticipated. Getting to that total "geek mode" is difficult when you don't have a pressing need for the extender yourself.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
stangbat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

I know that unclemiltie has put the RCRP05B on his task list, but he's working a new job which is limiting his JP1 development time.

I'll also be keeping an eye out for this. Having picked one up an RCRP05B last night, I can potentially see it being my remote of choice. I really like my 8910, but the RCRP05B has so many extra buttons that I need and use every day with my DVR. So the decision is between keep using the 8910 because it has an extender available, or going with the RCRP05B because the extra buttons make life a little easier. Right now the extra capabilities of the 8910 due to the extender will probably mean it stays in use.

I can understand the complaints about the buttons on the RCRP05B being a little small, especially when compared to the 8910. But overall I like the RCRP05B's layout. The lack of backlighting does not does not matter to me as I almost always have enough ambient light to see when using my remotes. I can count on one hand the number if times I've used the backlight on my 8910.

Anyway, you now have my comments regarding the RCRP05B whether you wanted them or not. Very Happy
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shifted keys are the next best thing to LKPs. They work great on the RCA since the shift (setup) button is right next to the device buttons. I think you'll find JP1 programming will make your remote quite useful until the extender is done. Many of us happily used our remotes for years without extenders.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
Shifted keys are the next best thing to LKPs. They work great on the RCA since the shift (setup) button is right next to the device buttons. I think you'll find JP1 programming will make your remote quite useful until the extender is done. Many of us happily used our remotes for years without extenders.

Yes, there are very few people who use extenders at all. Its only once you've gotten used to those wonderful features, that you can't get along without them.

R2-M0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using my RCRP05B without an extender for quite a while now, and I've got it doing just about everything I could want. I'm quite happy with it. Sure, it might be nice to be able to use LKPs instead of shifted keys, but it's far from a deal breaker.

Actually, if I could just port the original, hard-coded ToadTog protocol to the RCA to provide discrete power functions for my SciAtl DVR, I probably wouldn't need the extender at all.
embrion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ppl reported running out of EEPROM when teaching RCRP05B. Could someone confirm that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: