JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

debounce/repeat timing questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
utmba95

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: debounce/repeat timing questions Reply with quote

I have a 6131 with extender 1. Since I got my IR Widget I am able to debug a couple of long term issues.

1. When I press a button twice very quickly, the remote only sends one command. Is there a way to speed it up so that it recognizes both presses?

2. When I press a button once for a very short duration, the remote only sends the command once. The OEM remote sends repeats for a similar duration button press. Is there a way to send repeats without holding the button down so long?

Thanks.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: debounce/repeat timing questions Reply with quote

utmba95 wrote:
I have a 6131 with extender 1. Since I got my IR Widget I am able to debug a couple of long term issues.

1. When I press a button twice very quickly, the remote only sends one command. Is there a way to speed it up so that it recognizes both presses?

2. When I press a button once for a very short duration, the remote only sends the command once. The OEM remote sends repeats for a similar duration button press. Is there a way to send repeats without holding the button down so long?

Thanks.

Are both issues related to the same device? If so, this could be a problem with the leadout time being too long. Since you have a widget, look at at both signals and see if there is a bigger gap between the signals when repeating on the 6131.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
utmba95

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the 6131 repeats, the waveform looks exactly the like OEM remote. It's just that I have to hold the 6131 button about twice as long to make it repeat than with the OEM remote.

I really have two issues.

#1 where I press the FFWD button quickly twice to get to FFx2 on the DVR, if I press it too quickly I only get to FFx1. This is because the remote debounced my two quick presses into one, or it's just too slow to respond. I'm wondering if this is a function of the remote or if it's configurable. This behavior is the same even if I don't activate the extender after a reset.

#2 the IR booster I built doesn't hold the 38KHz accurate enough, and the DTV box won't always respond to a single sequence (6131) but it will respond when there are repeats (OEM remote). Is there a way to make the 6131 send repeats without holding the key down for soooo long?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

utmba95 wrote:
When the 6131 repeats, the waveform looks exactly the like OEM remote. It's just that I have to hold the 6131 button about twice as long to make it repeat than with the OEM remote.

Those two statements contradict each other. If there's a longer pause time between the first signal and the repeats using the 6131 than the OEM, that should show up in the signals captured by the widget.

We can indeed control the structure of the signal by modifying the protocol executor, but to do so we'd need to know which upgrade or setup code you are using.

To test any changes that we make, I would recommend testing them WITHOUT running the extender first, then once they're working as you want, test with WITH the extender.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

utmba95 wrote:
#1 where I press the FFWD button quickly twice to get to FFx2 on the DVR, if I press it too quickly I only get to FFx1. This is because the remote debounced my two quick presses into one, or it's just too slow to respond. I'm wondering if this is a function of the remote or if it's configurable. This behavior is the same even if I don't activate the extender after a reset.
The key debounce time is a function of the remote's firmware and is not something that is easily changed. In the case of the URC-6131, the firmware is in ROM so it can't be patched. Also, part of the "debounce" time you are experiencing is caused by access to the I2C EEPROM chip as the firmware searches through the lists of keymoves, macros and upgrades, so minimizing the number of each might help. The extender also plays a part in this, as it has to dynamically load parts of itself from the EEPROM for each button pressed.

While, in theory, it might be possible to modify the extender to alter the debounce time, it would make the extender code too big to fit in the EEPROM.

One possible solution would be to create a macro that sends two presses. With the extender, you'd probably need a pause in the macro.

utmba95 wrote:
#2 the IR booster I built doesn't hold the 38KHz accurate enough, and the DTV box won't always respond to a single sequence (6131) but it will respond when there are repeats (OEM remote). Is there a way to make the 6131 send repeats without holding the key down for soooo long?
As Robman has stated, the minimum number of repeats is something that can be addressed by making a custom modification to the protocol executor.
utmba95

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded a zip file with my .ir file and .ict files of learned signals. The device is 1377 and the protocol is 162. Are these sufficient to generate a custom protocol sending at least one repeat?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8601

Quote:
Those two statements contradict each other. If there's a longer pause time between the first signal and the repeats using the 6131 than the OEM, that should show up in the signals captured by the widget.

In both the OEM and 6131 with a slightly longer press, the repeat frame starts at time=49 mS and everything looks identical as far as I can tell.

I also captured two quick presses in succession. The 6131 sends a single sequence with 3 repeats whereas the OEM remote sends two sequences (long lead in frame, repeats, slight delay, long lead in frame, repeats). This seems to confirm that the 6131 debounce routine is treating the two presses as one.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utmba, have you tried the skipToTick command instead of ffwd to see if it works any better? A short press of skiptotick should behave the same as ffwd.
utmba95

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in trying this out if anybody has time to create a custom protocol. Let me know!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you responding to my post? If so, I meant, have you tried skiptotick using the existing protocol? If it works, you may not need a custom protocol. So give THIS upgrade a try.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The double tap on the 6131 looks like a button hold, not a tap.

Its easy enough to kick out another repeat for a quick press, but the double press is really not what I'd expect to see at all.

Does the unextended remote act the same way on the double tap?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
utmba95

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The double tap on the 6131 looks like a button hold, not a tap.

I'm double tapping pretty quickly.

Quote:
Does the unextended remote act the same way on the double tap?

I tried it without activating the extender, and it responds the same way. Is that a good enough test?

Quote:
have you tried the skipToTick command instead of ffwd to see if it works any better?

skipToTick behaves exactly like FFWD, and no better.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I said it was easy enough, I didn't realize we were talking about the XMP protocol, a nasty beast. Anyway I don't recognize the 016C code. It doesn't appear to be the official version, nor is it the version currently being offered up by RM or KM. I've just been working with another poster to get the XMP up and running on a 7800, and the code being offered up is a lot smaller than the XMP that you have running.

I think it might be beneficial to try rebuilding the 1377 with the newer protocol and see if that improves the situation, but definately save your IR file just in case.

utmba95

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, it's 0162, not 016C. I was using protocol "pid: 01 62" instead of DirecTV. Switching the protocol to DirecTV I no longer need a custom protocol and save a ton of space, but it behaves the same.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh, thanks for the correction. Embarassed I guess I was a little tired when I revisited this post. I was wondering why I didn't notice this was XMP when I actually looked at the signal, but that still didn't make me question my misread. I am totally unfamilar with the DirecTV protocol so don't know why it is such a big protocol.

vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I poked around looking for information on the DirecTV protocol and found John Fines Protocol builder file for the JP1 hacked version, but that isn't the right one either. There wasn't any documentation in the decodeIR.htm that I had on this machine, so I don't know what all the code in your executor is trying to do.

This probably isn't a debounce problem, its probably something that can be addressed in the way repeating is handled in the protocol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: