JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Elusive Sony TV EFC, "DRC" function

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Elusive Sony TV EFC, "DRC" function Reply with quote

Hello All,

Again, thanks for any help on this issue!

I'm trying to program a function key from the OEM remote of a Sony KV-30HS420 HDTV, into both an Atlas 1056 OCAP, and a Comcast 1067AGB (Grey button model). Both remotes use set up code 0000. The function key is "DRC". This changes the picture mode from/to "Interlaced, Progressive, Cinema", etc.

I've looked over the Sony code website ( http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/ ). I've tried all the possible codes, but the listed DRC functions do not take. Does anyone know of the EFC to (manually) program into these remotes?

This is my last challenge with setting up these remotes for this system, any help would be appreciated!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have access to a JP1 learning remote? If not, do you have any friends who might have a JP1 learning remote? If you do, you should learn the button from the OEM remote and download the memory using IR.exe to reveal the code(s) that you need.
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Do you have access to a JP1 learning remote? If not, do you have any friends who might have a JP1 learning remote? If you do, you should learn the button from the OEM remote and download the memory using IR.exe to reveal the code(s) that you need.

Hi Robman,

First, thank you for such a fast response.

Next, the biggest problem is that I do not have a JP1 cable, or the software (yet..). It is obvious I am at the point I need to jump into this JP1 progamming fully!

I do have a "weak" learning remote, a URC-9960 (Kameleon), but it will not learn this function for some reason. Either I have filled the memory, or it simply will not take. I spoke to URC support, and they said the remote "is not set up to learn that much..."

Again, this function is not a big deal to have. I can access it through the main TV menu, but I'm simply trying to duplicate the OEM remote functions, and save some steps on macros.

Thanks again! I appreciate the help.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bizwiz. When you checked those DRC codes on the sony page, do you know how to use them. They are not EFC's. They are function codes that need to be converted using jp1 tools in order to feed an executor on your remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
bizwiz. When you checked those DRC codes on the sony page, do you know how to use them. They are not EFC's. They are function codes that need to be converted using jp1 tools in order to feed an executor on your remote.

Hi Vicky,

To be honest, no I do not know how to use them properly. What I did was refrence the device codes, then the Command Codes, then referenced to the EFC (using the OFA/Radio Shack EFC charts).

I crossed referenced "known" and verified working codes against this system. All of the manually entered EFCs that worked fully, were as listed on the OFA/RS remote EFC list. Of course some had to be tried to verify interpretation of various labels such as "Picture Mode", etc.

I'm sure there is something I'm missing here, as I see that this "DRC" code seems to be a "combo code"; and I honestly have no idea what that means!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some clarification:

Sony TV 0000 sends Sony 12/15 devices 1 and 164. The DRC functions apparently use device 119. That means that Sony 0000 can't be used to send the listed DRC commands. You need to use a setup code that uses the Sony 12/15/20 Combo executor. The Atlas has lots of these, but the Comcast has fewer possibilites, and there are no TV Combo setup codes. To use the Comcast, you'll need to temporarily redefine the TV device button to be AUX, assign setup code AUX 1232 (or other setup code with Sony Combo--see the Lookup Tool linked above), assign the EFC, reassign the TV button back to TV, and reassign the setup code to 0000.

Probably best to test the codes before going to all that work. The two DRC commands are device 119, function numbers 28 and 57. From RM, we see that the corresponding EFCs using Sony 12/15/20 Combo are 66347 (00811 + 65536), and 56875.
Just temporarily set the AUX setup code to 1232, and
1) Press Setup briefly
2) Enter 56875
Hopefully the TV will respond.
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:

Sony TV 0000 sends Sony 12/15 devices 1 and 164. The DRC functions apparently use device 119. That means that Sony 0000 can't be used to send the listed DRC commands. You need to use a setup code that uses the Sony 12/15/20 Combo executor. The Atlas has lots of these, but the Comcast has fewer possibilites, and there are no TV Combo setup codes. To use the Comcast, you'll need to temporarily redefine the TV device button to be AUX, assign setup code AUX 1232 (or other setup code with Sony Combo--see the Lookup Tool linked above), assign the EFC, reassign the TV button back to TV, and reassign the setup code to 0000.

Probably best to test the codes before going to all that work. The two DRC commands are device 119, function numbers 28 and 57. From RM, we see that the corresponding EFCs using Sony 12/15/20 Combo are 66347 (00811 + 65536), and 56875.
1) Press Setup briefly
2) Enter 56875

Thanks again 3FG,

You always come through! I'm going to try this with the duplicate remotes I have on hand. I did something similar last night w/setting up the "Zenith Pause Trick" to program a delay for the DVD player macros.

Thanks again!!!

Now I see what the reference to "combo codes" meant.
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:

1) Press Setup briefly
2) Enter 56875

Hi 3FG,

I tried your suggested programming to no avail; the TV did not respond at all.

Any other suggestions would be a great help. I appreciaye your time and effort.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's clarify what you did so we can determine what did and didn't work.

First off, the 1232 setup code that 3FG posted is actually a VCR setup code, and it is available in all 3 remotes that you mentioned that you have (ie, the URC-9960, the Atlas and the Comcast remotes), but the way to use VCR codes may be different on all 3.

Can you confirm that you know how to program VCR codes on each of these remotes, and can you confirm that you successfully programmed the VCR/1232 code in at least one of the remotes.

Assuming the code was accepted, can you confirm that you know how to either test or program an EFC5 code on these remotes. You don't mention which version of the URC-9960 you have, if it's the B01 version, it accepts EFC5 codes, if it's the original version (which is just labeled URC-9960) it doesn't accept them.

If you know how to test EFC5 codes, did you test both of the EFC5 codes that 3FG posted?

Video/1232
66347 = obc 28 (DRC Palette)
56875 = obc 57 (DRC/Cinemotion, DRC Mode)
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Let's clarify what you did so we can determine what did and didn't work.

First off, the 1232 setup code that 3FG posted is actually a VCR setup code, and it is available in all 3 remotes that you mentioned that you have (ie, the URC-9960, the Atlas and the Comcast remotes), but the way to use VCR codes may be different on all 3.

Can you confirm that you know how to program VCR codes on each of these remotes, and can you confirm that you successfully programmed the VCR/1232 code in at least one of the remotes.

Assuming the code was accepted, can you confirm that you know how to either test or program an EFC5 code on these remotes. You don't mention which version of the URC-9960 you have, if it's the B01 version, it accepts EFC5 codes, if it's the original version (which is just labeled URC-9960) it doesn't accept them.

If you know how to test EFC5 codes, did you test both of the EFC5 codes that 3FG posted?

Video/1232
66347 = obc 28 (DRC Palette)
56875 = obc 57 (DRC/Cinemotion, DRC Mode)

First, sorry about the delay in responding; I've actually been distracted w/setting up a Harmony remote...But to address your questions:

1) "Can you confirm that you know how to program VCR codes on each of these remotes, and can you confirm that you successfully programmed the VCR/1232 code in at least one of the remotes."

Response: I do know how to program VCR codes, BUT based upon your noting this as a VCR code, then I did not perform this set up correctly.I first tried entering this code as an "AUX" code on a Comcast 1067 (grey "OK" button). No response to trying either EFC code. Please note that I only tried this set up on the Comcast remote, not URC 9960 (no B01 BTW), or the Atlas yet.

Next, I screwed up by copying the TV function into AUX, then setting up, and trying EFCs. Of course, no response. I then cleared out the device key, and set it back to "AUX", then retried 3FG's suggestion. No response to either EC.

To answer you questions about the remote models:

The URC-9960 is model URC-9960, not B01 model.
The Comacast is 1067 grey OK button model, RCF147550/00MB.
The Atlas remote is 1056 OCAP, signature 30333033

In summary, I was aware this was not a TV device set up code, but not aware that it was a VCR set up code. So, I will start over, and try 3FG's suggested programming.

Thanks again, I certainly do appreciate all of your expert help!!!
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally with UEI remotes, the setup codes are arranged in four pages of codes : Cable/SAT, TV, Video, and Audio. That's (usually) true even if the remote has 10 device buttons--for example, DVD, PVR, VCR all refer to the Video page.

The recommended setup code is Video 1232. As you can see using the Lookup Tool (link at the top of this page), for the Comcast remote (the grey OK button remote is 1067 JP1.2), the setup code is available on the AUX device mode button. For an Atlas, use the DVD button (and perhaps others, like VCR, PVR, etc.). For the 9960, the Lookup Tool suggests VCR.

If I understand you correctly, you tried assigning 1232 to the AUX button on the Comcast, assigned the EFCs, but it didn't work. It should have worked if the procedures were correct, and if the EFCs are correct.
bizwiz41

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
Generally with UEI remotes, the setup codes are arranged in four pages of codes : Cable/SAT, TV, Video, and Audio. That's (usually) true even if the remote has 10 device buttons--for example, DVD, PVR, VCR all refer to the Video page.

The recommended setup code is Video 1232. As you can see using the Lookup Tool (link at the top of this page), for the Comcast remote (the grey OK button remote is 1067 JP1.2), the setup code is available on the AUX device mode button. For an Atlas, use the DVD button (and perhaps others, like VCR, PVR, etc.). For the 9960, the Lookup Tool suggests VCR.

If I understand you correctly, you tried assigning 1232 to the AUX button on the Comcast, assigned the EFCs, but it didn't work. It should have worked if the procedures were correct, and if the EFCs are correct.

Hello 3FG,

I hope you had an enjoyable holiday.

Yes, I did try assigning 1232 to the AUX button on the Comcast. The remote did accept the code (two blinks). However, when I tried the EFC (by pressing "set up", then entering the EFC), no response from the television at all. I went through and made sure the "AUX" button was fully cleared for subsequent attempts.

However, I will try the procedure again, and I will try it with an Atlas that I now use for testing only. I will clear all device keys, and make sure the device codes are accepted.

As a note, I spoke to URC support about the Kameleon, and they noted that the typical set up code for Sony TVs (0000), was no longer the correct code. I thought this was interesting. Of course I was very surprised by YRC support when they told me that my cable box (Pace RNG 110) didn't exist!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: