JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Macro Programming the RCA RCRP05B ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Macro Programming the RCA RCRP05B ? Reply with quote

The RCA owner’s manual states for programming a macro key “To add another macro, repeat steps 1 through 5”.

It also states “Programming more than five macros on the same macro key overwrites previous settings”.

This sounds like you can have 5 macros on the same key. If so, how do you access the individual macros?
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike99,

Interesting point and also earlier, in a statement under 'Programming Macro Keys': "...If you want to change the macro's' stored in a previously-programmed macro key, you'll need to clear the key first...".
The text in the manual does not make sense because it fails to give the full picture, but I found the explanation at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11480

Wagonmaster has explained that, while there are 5 Devices, you can do 'Device Specific Macros' as well as the 'Device Independent Macros' which the manual describes:-
- With 9-7-8, on many keys you can set up DSMs.
- In its respective device mode, a DSM takes precedence over a 'global' DIM which may co-exist on the same key.
- Using 9-9-5, the Macro1, Macro2, and OnDemand keys can even do 'Multi-Macros'.

Regards
Chris

Last edited by tranx on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look on the bottom row of buttons. The two middle buttons are labeled Macro1 and Macro2. These are multi-macro buttons, and can have up to 5 macros assigned to them. One of the individual macros in a multi-macro sequence is run when the button is pressed. The next button press will run the next macro in the multi-macro; when the last macro is reached, the sequence wraps around to the first macro.

Of course, you can assign a single macro to one of these buttons, but as the manual says, you'll need to clear the button of any macro assignment before starting a new single macro.

I suppose that a multi-macro can be assigned with either 995 or 978,m although I don't know what would happen if you tried to assign individual macros in a multi-macro using both 995 and 978.
tranx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I was wondering what a multi macro might be...
Mike99

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG -

I should have looked back here first because you already had the answer. Anyway I just came across this since my original posting so I'll post the link anyway because it has a lot of commands.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=Manual_Programming_-_9xx_Commands

I already use Macro1 and Macro2. Each has a single macro & I wanted to add a related macro to Macro 2. But it appears I just can't use a second macro in Macro 2 unless I first use its first macro.

Once in a while I temporarily turn on Closed Captioning because I don't understand the dialog, & then I turn it off. I had a macro for doing this but just noticed that not all programs use the same steps to do this. After tapping "Info" some need to use the right arrow key 3 times & some 4 times. That's because some programs have a "Language" option as you scroll across which requires an extra button push. Anyway I wanted to put these on the same macro & just select the version I need at the time, but this does not seem possible. Another problem I realized is you don't know which version is needed until you try it.

Is there some code that will let me toggle CC on/off no matter how many steps it takes by doing it the long way?
jeajea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the extender you can assign a macro to any key that you aren’t using for anything else.
You can also assign macros to most “shifted” keys such as shift macro 2.
I think you can also assign macros to shifted keys without the extender.
Mike99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an extender.

I did not think that you could assign a macro to any key. But due to mistake & much to my surprise, I inadvertently assigned a macro to the Info key. That made me think I could assign one to just about any key.

If possible, it would be nice to assign a CC code directly to a color key.
jeajea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extender is free software that you download from here.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=10079
Mike99

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of extender what comes to mind is using an Xbox extender for an HTPC.

I read through a couple Stickies in the Extender sub-forum. While a extender sounds very powerful it seems like overkill for my simple needs of programming a macro, or just programming a key for closed captioning.

Another term that throws me off is "Keymove". I kept thinking it had to do with moving a function of one key to another. But it appears it means changing the code of a key, is that correcxt? If so, then I should be able to use one the color keys and add a CC code. Does that sound correct?
jeajea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A standard key move assigns (copies) the current assignment of a key on one device to another key on either the same or a different device. For example key move TV VOL+ to DVD VOL+ would make VOL+ work the same when DVD is selected as it does when TV is selected.

The main advantages of an extender are long/double key press and more space for macros, key moves and upgrades. If one or more of your devices don’t have discrete off/on you can use toad tog(s) to help keep track of on/off states.

The main disadvantage is it disables learning.

For more details download the extender and view its readme file.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike99 wrote:

Another term that throws me off is "Keymove". I kept thinking it had to do with moving a function of one key to another. But it appears it means changing the code of a key, is that correcxt? If so, then I should be able to use one the color keys and add a CC code. Does that sound correct?
Yes, a keymove allows one to change the IR signal sent by a button. In order to assign a a keymove the remote must have a built in setup code or an upgrade which has the needed fixed data and executor.

A keymove can get source information in two ways: 1) from an existing definition of some other button (typically in a different device mode) or 2) by assigning a new function number (via EFC or hex data) to a button. jeajea has mentioned 1). I suspect that 2) is used more commonly. You can use method 2) to redefine a color button to have the CC code, provided you know what the CC code is, and if the remote has (or you upgrade via JP1) the correct executor and fixed data.

Based on your earlier posts, I gather that at present you traverse a menu to get CC. In order to get CC with a single IR command, the unit being controlled needs to respond to such a discrete signal. So, what is the model number of the unit (a TV?) which you are trying to control? Do you have a JP1.3 flash cable, or will you be entering the keymove manually? BTW, an extender can be a good thing, but it is unrelated to keymoves, at least on newer remotes like the RCRP05B, which have quite a bit of memory.
Mike99

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="3FG"]
Mike99 wrote:

Based on your earlier posts, I gather that at present you traverse a menu to get CC. In order to get CC with a single IR command, the unit being controlled needs to respond to such a discrete signal. So, what is the model number of the unit (a TV?) which you are trying to control? Do you have a JP1.3 flash cable, or will you be entering the keymove manually? BTW, an extender can be a good thing, but it is unrelated to keymoves, at least on newer remotes like the RCRP05B, which have quite a bit of memory.

I would like to turn CC on/off in WMC. This requires several steps starting with pressing the "Info" button. I am using device code 1972 assigned to the AUX/DVR key.

I do not have a JP1.3 cable & was hoping to enter a CC EFC manually. In the file section under 1972 I saw two EFC codes listed for CC, 080 & 048. I guess my next step is to try sending each of these codes direct from the remote & see what happens.
jeajea

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a Media Center compatible IR receiver? If so you need to send

DVD subtitle
Down
OK
DVD subtitle

To turn on close caption 1
and send

DVD subtitle
OK
DVD subtitle

To turn off close caption.

The three digit EFC for DVD subtitle is 040
The five digit EFC is 00040

Device setup 1272 is media center for a 10820N and may also work for the RCRP05B.

You don’t need a cable to load a device upgrade in RMIR and display the EFCs

If you aren’t using a Media Center IR receiver what are you using?

FYI: you need a cable to use the extender
Mike99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeajea wrote:

The three digit EFC for DVD subtitle is 040
The five digit EFC is 00040

I found EFC 048 & 080 listed under the 1972 device code with works for me. However 080 is listed for a few different functions.

I'm curious, where did you find the EFC 040 code?
Mike99

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using a WMC7 IR receiver & want to turn the CC On/Off in OTA recordings & not DVD subtitles, if that makes a difference.

Device code 1972 does work with WMC.

To turn On the CC requires the following button presses:
Info, >, >, >, OK, OK, Exit. Sometimes another ">" is needed because some programs have a language option that needs to be skipped over.

Toggling CC On/Off directly would be ideal. The macros cannot be the same for these because there is 1 less button press for Off.

I tested EFCs 00048, 00080, & 00040. Only 00040 works & takes me to the CC screen whether there is a language option or not when in the “Info“ mode. So that’s a step in the right direction. But I still have to select On or Off.

I assigned EFC 40 to a colored button which I then used to create an “On” macro assigned to the Macro2 button. Then created an “Off” macro & also assigned it to Macro2. One press turns On the CC and the next press turns it Off.

So far this works with several different recordings that I tried. The video remains on the screen all the time with a very brief "Info” translucent overlay at the bottom.

Thank you everyone for all the help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: