JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 Upgrades - cross-reference list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,
Do you think you could make a clone of your app that downloads from the Pronto file section at Remote Central? And better yet, have it call DecodeCCF to translate the data?

If you decide to take on this challenge, you need to be aware that many of the CCF files over there have multiple devices in them. Each device is listed individually in the file section at R/C, so you would probably need to keep track of the file name and the device that's supposedly in it, so that when you come across another link pointing to the same file, you don't bother downloading it again, but simply add another device reference.

I'd also like to use it to download all the files from the yahoo group, as I know there are some that never got ported. Hey, maybe you could also write an uploader.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to add code to rmir that will automatically download the latest version of this file, then parse it and store it in a local database. The database will be used to help the user search for Device upgrades that might work with the device they have. Once the user has selected one or more, rmir will automatically download and add them to the remote.

The reason I can't use an xls file is because I want to do all this automatically from within rmir
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
I'm trying to add code to rmir that will automatically download the latest version of this file, then parse it and store it in a local database. The database will be used to help the user search for Device upgrades that might work with the device they have.

What kind of local database?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gfb107 wrote:
The reason I can't use an xls file is because I want to do all this automatically from within rmir

No-one is saying that you have to use an XLS file as input, we're just questioning why you would use an inferior file rather than simply save the master file as a CSV file.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Greg is saying he wants RM-IR to automatically download the latest version of this file. So we need to keep a CSV version up here in order for it to do that.

Greg -- I was pondering whether we could do this with RDF/Maps in RMIR - instead of having the user download all the RDFs, download them on demand from within RMIR?

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
I think Greg is saying he wants RM-IR to automatically download the latest version of this file. So we need to keep a CSV version up here in order for it to do that.

I see this as a possible problem with having a Cross Reference at all. It would seem to me, that this should be incorporated as fields in the Files data base. If when you go to the Files sheet it would be really nice to have the protocol listed right there. It would also be nice on the Uploads page to have the user type in this information as part of the upload.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
xnappo wrote:

I see this as a possible problem with having a Cross Reference at all. It would seem to me, that this should be incorporated as fields in the Files data base. If when you go to the Files sheet it would be really nice to have the protocol listed right there. It would also be nice on the Uploads page to have the user type in this information as part of the upload.

Sure, that would be nice, but I think it would be even nicer to not have to leave RM-IR at all. Ideally we would have both...

xnappo
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My worry is that people will stop using the file search.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:

One of the main complaints that Harmony users have is the fact that they need to be connected to the web in order to program their remotes, and this sure sounds like the first step in taking JP1 in that direction, and I would be opposed to that.

If you want to use the cross-reference in RMIR that's fine, but why not just include a copy of it in the RMIR download. The user can download the more up to date versions as they become available. Actually, I don't think I want to worry about RMIR when I'm editing the file, I would like the freedom to add new columns if I think they'd be helpful, so maybe you should create the CSV file yourself so you can vet it to make sure that it's still compatible with what RMIR needs.

And in order to avoid any confusion that the AllUpgrades.csv file was creating, I have deleted it, so there should be no question as to which file is the real cross-reference file.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
..depending on what "crap out" means...

When the program abended, I got a pop-up just like the one Liz got here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8524
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
xnappo wrote:

One of the main complaints that Harmony users have is the fact that they need to be connected to the web in order to program their remotes, and this sure sounds like the first step in taking JP1 in that direction, and I would be opposed to that.

Of course you could still do it the old fashion way too!

Quote:

If you want to use the cross-reference in RMIR that's fine, but why not just include a copy of it in the RMIR download. The user can download the more up to date versions as they become available. Actually, I don't think I want to worry about RMIR when I'm editing the file, I would like the freedom to add new columns if I think they'd be helpful, so maybe you should create the CSV file yourself so you can vet it to make sure that it's still compatible with what RMIR needs.

Because then it would be out of date quickly. As long as the names of the column headers do not change, RM-IR could be written to tolerate them moving.

xnappo
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

RM-IR would be doing the file search for them. Not sure I see the difference?

xnappo
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
Did it specifically say "index out of range"?

Regarding downloading from RemoteCentral, I think that could be a can of worms, and I'm reluctant to start on it now. Also, I want to add some more functionality to the existing app.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xnappo wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:

RM-IR would be doing the file search for them. Not sure I see the difference?

xnappo

Mistake on my part. When I looked at the file before, some of the files were missing. I see they are all there now. Still a direct search would be up to date.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

You can add the following macro to your spreadsheet to download the selected File ID:

Code:
Sub Fetch()
    Dim addrs As String
    If ActiveCell.Column = 1 Then
        addrs = "http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=" + CStr(ActiveCell.Value)
        ActiveWorkbook.FollowHyperlink Address:=addrs
    End If
End Sub

Use action=download to download the file or action=file to see the description first.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: