JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 Upgrades - cross-reference list
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, what a beautiful catalog!
Rob, there is one potential problem - a violation of the meaning of "currentRegion". You have an empty column. Excel hates blank rows and blank columns.
If you were, for instance, to sort on a protocol, all the stuff beyond column S will no longer apply to the stuff you sorted, i.e. Notes would have nothing to do with the file.
If you wanted to make the dropdown filter on all columns, you can't. It's the left side table or the right side table, but not both.
Suggestion: eliminate column S or give it a title ("x" will do) to make the entire table contiguous. Hope this makes sense.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me worried there for a minute. I just tried sorting the file and verified that the data beyond column S stays with the sort.

But none the less, in case some other version of Excel has a problem with this, I have eliminated the blank column from my "in progress" version (1.03) here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8559
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worry - you should Twisted Evil
Excel in Office2003 and 2000 here.
I just reproduced the anticipated problem like this:
Cursor on any cell on the left side, for instance on the FileID header.
Data > Sort - oops, the only area available to sort that Excel selects for me is the left of col.S area, and if sorted, LongDescription no longer belong on correct rows.
Only if I select the entire table it'll sort fine, but that's much too much work Smile
I also confirmed that the Auto filter can go to one side or the other but not both.
So, at least for 2003 and earlier, removal/renaming of Col.S or any empty columns is desireable.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we do our sorts differently. I always highlight the entire worksheet (by clicking on the black cell kitty-corner from cell A1) before sorting. I have sorted this spreadsheet many times and the data beyond column S is still in the right place.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,
I guess that you don't need this anymore, since the spreadsheet seems to have lots of info in it, but here is JP1ScraperV2, which can download most of the files on this site, with the option to only download files which have been updated recently.

JP1ScraperV2
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, I'll check it out. I have been updating files from work and home, so when I'm done it will be nice to have a way to take a fresh download of everything, including the files that have been added since I started.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
...when I'm done it will be nice to have a way to take a fresh download of everything, including the files that have been added since I started.
Will you be able to preserve the original file date when you redownload?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
The Robman wrote:
...when I'm done it will be nice to have a way to take a fresh download of everything, including the files that have been added since I started.
Will you be able to preserve the original file date when you redownload?

Not sure I follow.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad choice of words (original filedate), I suppose. Sorry Sad
Can you preserve the date the file was uploaded to yahoo? It's good to be able to tell old and newer things, and the date might help.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the files that we copied over from Yahoo have 2004 dates here now. The only way that I could change the date is to go and edit it on the database, which I could do, but it would be quite a bit of work for limited gain.

My primary goal here is to get the file section in as good a shape as I can, which I think I've been able to do. I have replaced several text files that contained lists of codes or instructions on how to create an upgrade, with actual upgrades. One guy even hacked into KM and found the Output sheet and copied it's contents to a text file, and that's what he loaded!

I'm also doing little edits, like changing the listed file names from things like sony-dvd to Sony DVD (ie, with a leading capital and a space between the words) so the files sort better.

I'm also working with Vicky to document all of the CCF files over at Remote Central, so if we find devices that don't exist over here, we can create upgrades for them.

Now that we can see which devices use the same device codes, we can cross-reference them to see if they share OBCs and if they do, create master files for them.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've really found JP1Master to be very useful, so I've updated the file, and presumptively named it JP1Master-1.06. There are a couple of changes from Rob's versions.
1) I've added a column which shows the date the file was last updated.
2) JP1Scraper V3 attempts to identify homemade protocol executors automatically, so besides his "Y" and "?" classifications, there are some others based on the contents of the files. Quite probably this version has messed up some of Rob's classifications. To be honest, I don't think I could give an clear definition of a homemade executor.

The spreadsheet has a User Interface tab, which allows a user to change the file links to point to the directory structure on the user's computer, rather than the one on mine or Rob's.

The user can also run JP1Scraper (probably using the option to only download files newer than a specified date) and then import the resulting JP1Download.csv file into JP1Master. It was my intent that only a handful of mouse clicks would take care of the entire job, but still some handwork is needed to delete non-upgrade files, and to manually parse zip files.

Rob last updated JP1Master1.05 in October, and more than 300 upgrade files have been uploaded since then.

JP1Master-1.06

JP1ScraperV3
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, I'll have to check it out.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've included files through March 31, 2011. About 50 new files since Feb 1.
JP1-Master1.07
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP1Master v1.08
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. Do you happen to know how many upgrades were added?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: