JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 Upgrades - cross-reference list
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: JP1 Upgrades - cross-reference list Reply with quote

I think it would be a good idea to catalog each of the upgrades in the file section so that we have a record of what protocol and device code(s) each one of them uses.

To this end, I have started the following spreadsheet:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8487

I have created tabs to match each of the categories in the Device Upgrade folder and I have entered the file names. I have done the "AC and Fans" category already.

I'm looking for volunteers to do the rest. If you want to help out, please post something stating which category that you are going to take on, so that we don't end up working on the same set of files. When you're done with a category, or have gone as far as you can if it's a big category, please upload your copy of the spreadsheet and post a link to it here, then I'll incorporate the data into the master file.

Thanks,
Rob

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Quite often I open a bunch of files looking for something that uses a different protocol, so I can see that the spreadsheet would be helpful. Of course, I'd prefer of course that people include this in the description of their files when they post the files, but that's just not going to happen.

As long as you are getting people to catelog the upgrades, I think you need a few more columns in your spreadsheet.

If the protocol is custom, it would be nice to know what processors are covered.

It would be nice to know if the file is KM or RM, and it would be nice to have a link.

I'm sure other people have other needs.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the following tabs:

Cable (Universal)
SAT Radio
Tape
Cameras
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like this can be mostly automated. I looked into it last night and was able to automatically download some files into a VB program, by "scraping" the HTML code.

It's really easy to extract enumerated device numbers, which are part of the fixed data, especially from KM files. It will be a little more work to pull devices out of Combo executors, but RM does it, so.....

For me, a big issue is the prevalence of files which have "Manual Settings". Frequently, a standard name has been subsequently identified for the IR protocol, but sometimes the device numbers or OBCs are different (complemented or bit reversed) from the Manual Settings. I'd like to be able to recognize these differences, and flag them (or even convert the files to standard name, assuming a suitable executor exists.) Currently, the safest way I know to do that is to load the Manual settings upgrade into a remote, and then teach another remote. Then IR tells me if a standard name exists, and it is usually obvious if the device numbers or OBCs need conversion. If that is the best way to do it, there is some labor involved.

Also, some older files don't load into RM, because the protocol name or variant listed in the file is no longer mentioned in protocols.ini. Currently when that happens, RM silently stops functioning, and I have to use Task Manager to exit. I think a program can also flag these, and presumably the file could be repaired (by hand). Not sure how we would re-upload a repaired file.

I like Vicky's idea of including a link. It appears to me that Excel 97 doesn't handle links, but newer versions do, so there might be a compatibility issue.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can write an automated tool, that would be great. However, I would advise not spending too much time on the exceptions stuff (ie, Manual Settings, etc) as we can do those by hand afterwards.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of clicking the buttons and downloading each file individually, is there an FTP link that would allow several files to be selected from the JP1 database at once?
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
Instead of clicking the buttons and downloading each file individually, is there an FTP link that would allow several files to be selected from the JP1 database at once?

I asked this when doing the RDF update.. Unfortunately no - and the files are in some sort of database and are not easy to extract.

We could move them to SourceForge ( :duck: Razz )

xnappo
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:

It is possible to FTP the files, however, they're all in a single folder called "uploads" and their names are encrypted, so you would also need a dump of the database to know what each file really is.

I've just done the Cable tab in the spreadsheet.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm doing the VCRs starting at A. D'you want the whole workbook uploaded or just the VCR sheet?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UQ, either way is fine as I'm just going to cut & paste it into the master file anyway.

Btw, I'm now starting the Audio files.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few gaps but most of them are here:
{deleted}
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks UQ, I've only made it up to JVC in the Audio files.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
For me, a big issue is the prevalence of files which have "Manual Settings". Frequently, a standard name has been subsequently identified for the IR protocol, but sometimes the device numbers or OBCs are different (complemented or bit reversed) from the Manual Settings. I'd like to be able to recognize these differences, and flag them (or even convert the files to standard name, assuming a suitable executor exists.) Currently, the safest way I know to do that is to load the Manual settings upgrade into a remote, and then teach another remote. Then IR tells me if a standard name exists, and it is usually obvious if the device numbers or OBCs need conversion. If that is the best way to do it, there is some labor involved.

Also, some older files don't load into RM, because the protocol name or variant listed in the file is no longer mentioned in protocols.ini. Currently when that happens, RM silently stops functioning, and I have to use Task Manager to exit. I think a program can also flag these, and presumably the file could be repaired (by hand). Not sure how we would re-upload a repaired file.

As I'm going through the files, if I see something that needs fixing, I'm doing it and re-uploading the fixed file.

For example...
1. If the file is a zip file but only contains a KM or RM text file, I will replace the zip file with the text file.
2. If the file uses a combo protocol but all of the functions use the same device code, I'll reformat it using the non-combo version of the protocol.
3. If an upgrade uses the Device Combiner, but there is a combo protocol available, I'll reformat it to use the combo protocol. (I'm leaving some of these till later).
4. If KM upgrade is tab delimited (rather than comma delimited), I will import it into KM, re-save it and then load the new version back into the file section.
5. If the upgrade uses Manual Settings and the protocol id is NOT $01FF, I'm making a note of the PID, then later I'll check to see if this is the real UEI executor or just one that we made up. My goal is to have all homemade executors use $01FF as the PID. Eventually, I'd like to have all the homemade executors documented so we can check if a genuine UEI executor exists. Also, so we can get them included into protocols.ini (if they aren't already).
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, starting on TVs. Lots of them. Doing A's thru E's at present and anyone else can chime in.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done most TVs from A thru E:

{deleted}

Getting tired now. Going to have a Belgian beer, read some of my book then bed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: