JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How many remotes in your house? Just curious....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:

Although I did omit a digital picture frame IR remote.

Is there an upgrade for this in the file section? My friend dropped her remote into the sink ..........

Back on topic, I just packed up my "travlers", my hobby remotes that I take with me on vacation, and it weighs 11 pounds. Everytime I fly my luggage is always opened by homeland security and I can't imagine why.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
andyross

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main system:
URC-8910
URC-10820 (to replace 8910 when it dies)
Comcast URC-1067
JVC S-VHS VCR (both original and old remote from previous fancier version)
Sony TV (new and old, old one is multi-device)
Sony Receiver (fancy 2-way, multi-device remote)
Sony DVD (both new and previous model remote)
Zenith DTT901 (digital TV adapter)

Bedroom:
URC-8811 (bedroom)
URC-6131nw (modified with connector and EPROM) backup bedroom, nice for EFC sleuthing due to raised SETUP button
Samsung TV
Cyberhome DVD (Horrible remote)
Comcast Thomson DTA (UEI remote, but no JP1)

I rarely use the device remotes except for the occasional oddball code. The most used is the JVC VCR, when I need to record more than the 2 simultaneous recordings the DVR handles, uses a bizarre Start/end time up buttons thing that is too hard to put on a universal remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid, I had a stereo music center on the other side of my bed room, so I guess I created a wired remote because I ran a wire around the room which I connected to the power cord of the stereo on one end and to the push button that I'd removed from an old desk lamp on the other (and I mounted this in a hole that I made in the side of a built in closet.

When I went to bed, I would always place an LP on the turntable and click the auto changer then when I woke up, all I would need to do is press the home made button and the record that I had cued up would play.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Capn Trips wrote:

Although I did omit a digital picture frame IR remote.

Is there an upgrade for this in the file section? My friend dropped her remote into the sink ..........

Well, mine is a Pandigital which is exactly the same as this one in the Misc File section.

Thanks Captain, Sorry to have put you through extra work. I was looking for "Picture frame" in the file section and didn't come up with a single one. I'll give it a shot and see if this is the correct one.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
jimdunn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off-topic, but since RF remotes have been mentioned...

When our daughter was a baby - we bought one of those RF baby alarms which transmits the sound from the unit in the nursery to the remote unit.
It had 2 settings for frequency which you could choose between to minimise interference.

It worked great, and like all doting new parents we used it religiously.

When Alice was a few weeks old, our garage remote opener developed an intermittent fault - occasionally I would arrive home from work and the clicker wouldn't open the door at all.

We had 2 different repairmen look at it - they found no faults - and because it was an intermittent fault we were unable to demonstrate.

It was several months before I discovered, quite by accident - that it was the Baby Alarm "jamming" the signal for the garage door.

See it only did it when you used "frequency 2" - which we hardly ever did - only when there was unusual RF interference on "frequency 1".

It wasn't until one day, I was at home, SWMBO was out and Alice was asleep so I had the Baby Alarm on "1". There was a lot of interference on "1" so I changed to "2" -
only to be informed 5 minutes later, on my wife's return that the garage clicker was "doing it again".

Without that sequence of events I'd probably never have had the "eureka" moment of realising I just changed to "2", and sure enough, checking confirmed it was really the Alarm "jamming" the clicker.

Several years later we had a similar incident, but IR related, where a Sony Handycam was sometimes left near our entertainment centre, and the IR signals it was constantly emitting "jammed" the remote control signals to the TV. It took a while for me to work out the reason my TV remote wouldn't work sometimes...
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vicky, trying to make me look schizophrenic? What's the big idea editing my post with YOUR reply?!?!?! Twisted Evil Laughing

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Hey Vicky, trying to make me look schizophrenic? What's the big idea editing my post with YOUR reply?!?!?! Twisted Evil Laughing

So that's what happened to my reply! I thought the database lost my post, but instead I lost it. Oops!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
javier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just OneForAll 8910 with a extender.
To be honest, I have three of this, with the same codes.
They are backups between them, to always have one of them near my hand.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:

I was trying to figure out why you suddenly switched to "thanks Captain" mode! Vicky's not the first person with moderator powers to accidentally edit rather than reply, another fine member has done it too. Wink
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my living room I have two identical URC-7781s (with Mathdon's ingenious extender Very Happy ). This is very practical; if I have put one in a funny place, I will find the other. Also, I can experiment with one, without being remoteless if bad things happen. Remember, one of the many advantages of the JP1-way is to be able to "clone" a remote configuration in fractions of a minute!

In my sleeping room I have an URC-7780.

Not productively used JP1s: URC-7556, URC-7525, URC-8060, URC-7950, URC-3740

Prontos (presently not productively used): RU-890, RU-930, TSU 7500 (with European RF-unit)

Logitech Harmony One. (Never use it productively, it just looks cute)

Touchthingies etc for future use with Netremote, Openremote, own developments): Apple Ipod touch, Dell Axim x51v (Windows Mobile 6.5), Asus MyPal 696, Nokia N810 (Maemo), Archos 5 Internet tablet (2009 model) (Android).

Some RF and Bluetooth remotes.

And shoeboxes full of OEM remotes....
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Vicky's not the first person with moderator powers to accidentally edit rather than reply, another fine member has done it too. Wink

It is easy to do since the 'edit' button moves to where the 'quote' button used to be when you acquire new powers...

xnappo
bob_m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may take a while to properly tabulate:

In use: To many - Currently reprogramming 3 JP1 remotes for current equipment.

Back room: 1 OEM - TV/DVD

Wifes "area": 1 OEM TV/DVD, 1 OEM unused VCR, 1 OEM Dead TV

Living Room: 1 OEM TV, 1 OEM DVD/VCR, 1 OEM Reciver - - 1 Programmed JP1 Cool

Bedroom: 1 OEM TV, 1 OEM VHS, 1 OEM DVD, 1 OEM Blu Ray, 1 OEM Reciever, 1 Comcast Remote -- 1 Partial Programmed JP1 (in process of updating)

My "cave" - 2 OEM TVs, 1 OEM DVD/VHS (partially brokens and unused), 1 OEM Reciever, 1x Comcast Remote, 2x OEM Remotes (identical), 1 OEM Infocus Projector (not used in a long time), 1 Unused Windows Media Center Remote, Xbox360 remote (??? not sure but if they made one I probably have it) -- 1 Partial Programmed JP1 (in process of updating)

Also in the cave 2x Remotes for outlet adaptors - Think I have 2x more unopened somewhere in the house

That is all I can think of, not counting left over remotes for long gone equipment and extra comcast remotes.

5x Total HTPRO remotes
1x JP1 remote that needs the pogo adapter - Somewhere in the house LOL

- - - -

Slightly off topic - I have 4 Ceiling fans that have RF based remotes Razz
classicsat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:

Does anybody have any of those original TV remotes that sent an inaudible SONIC signal to make your TV's channel-changer mechanically rotate?

I salvaged the remote receiver from a TV like that long ago, and made a remote with an LM555 and ultrasonic transmitter. It had 4 "channels", at least a volume power (which ran a step relay, linked to a sort of volme control and pwer switch), UHF advance (the UHF tuner was a 6 channel turret tuner), and VHF advance (typical VHF turret tuner). The fourth might have been OSD (it had a rudimentary on screen channel number display), or mute.

Cooler were the mechanical Zenith remotes.
classicsat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe 20 to 30 altogether, about 5 around being actively used to some degree.

In my lounge:
URC-8910 for most stuff.
The remote for the FTA receiver (although programmed into the 8910, the upgrade layout is not entirely intuituve). The FTA remote's TV mode is set for the 14" RCA set I take outside to set the dish with.

Downstairs:
OEM universal for Star Choice, for TV and satellite receiver there.
TiVo Peanut remote, to run TiVo from home office.
URC-8820 for LR TV, DVD, VCR, TiVo, workroom stereo.
OEM VCR remote. Missing: OEM DVD remote.

Archived remotes:
OFA Maestro II. I kind of like it, but really isn't practical for modern devices.
Cinema 6. Some buttons worn a bit, but still works. My first JP1 remote I got into programming.
URC8017W. A bit funny. It programs, but the EEPROM doesn't seem to work. It worked before, but to too many tumbles down the stairs I think.
RS 15-8102. Has EEPROM that JP1 software recognizes, but cannot accept upgrades. Does not have JP1 connector spot.

A few StarChoice OEM remotes, including one from a 421B, and the one that came with the 505.
Some spare peanut remotes.
Some Jumbo remote my brother brought home.
A couple pre-JP1 OneForAll/RS remotes.
An RCA 3-in-1 remote (my first universal).
OEM remotes for about 4 or 5 DVD players, a couple VCRs, the TV I bought a couple years ago, my couple analog satellite receivers.
An RCA 2-in-1 non programmable remote, made for and RCA TV and VCR from the early to mid 1980s. It works fine for my 1994/1995 vintage RCA TV and VCR.
stangbat

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two 8910s, one for regular use and one as a backup. I may end up using the second 8910 when I get a home theater setup.

I have an Atlas OCAP URC-1056 for the upstairs TV.

I also have an RS 15-100 that I'm not using. It was on clearance for $14 so I couldn't resist getting it to play with and "just in case".

I'm not going to bother to count up how many OEM remotes I have laying around. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: