JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Try the new search (via Google)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Try the new search (via Google) Reply with quote

When you click on search now you'll see a Google search box in front of the normal search entry boxes. Give this a try and let me know if you like it.

The problem that I am trying to address is the fact that the normal forum search uses a database that has grown exceptionally large, due to the large volume of posts in the forum.

If the Google search is sufficient for people, I can empty the large database.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Google allows more flexibility in searching. It is different, but I would get used to it very quickly.

However, I had to use Firefox to use the Search feature. With IE8, I get a page of very large width. The large JP1 icon is visible and the phrase JP1 Remotes Forum Index is visible. Moving the scroll bar to the middle of the page show the usual advertising and FAQ/Search/Memberlits, etc. stuff. I had to be quite deliberate in dragging the scroll bar or the stuff at the middle of the pagejust flashes by.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think to check it with IE. We have IE6 here at work and I just get "loading" where the search box should be.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else would removing that database impact? It's nice to have "Find all posts by xxxx". I'd miss the filter options too, but I guess I could get the same results by using the right google search string. Would it impact the File Search as well?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I do it right, I think you'd just lose the ability to search for words through the old search.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it.

xnappo
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it.
I'm no good in searching, ever Sad
So take this with a grain of salt.

Experimental search for Atlas and backlight - I want to find all posts that have those two words. Results:
1. When I use google advanced search for must contain both words (Atlas backlight) and site:hifi-remote.com, straight from the browser, not logged in on this site, I get 192 posts, undated, can't sort by date. Nineteen pages to click through.
2. When I use Rob's new google search section, I get 93 posts plus 3 ads on tope and a bunch of ad links on the right. Can't sort. Ten pages to click through. Don't like all those links, especially for various backlight products Evil or Very Mad
3. When I use our old search for Atlas AND backlight, I get 37 posts. I can sort them by date. Also can filter for who wrote it.

Mixed bag in my mind.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the trouble is, the forum's built in search function uses a database that records every use of every word (with a few popular words excluded) and as such we now have a table with 3 million rows on it and my ISP is complaining.

It's very likely to come down to a choice of close down the forum or kill the old word search.

Another alternative would be to just have the search link go here:
http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=+site:hifi-remote.com/forums

Update: I just added that search to the page also.

Last edited by The Robman on Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OUCH!!!!
No forum is not an option, Rob.

Link to advanced google, then, will do the job I suppose, similar to what you're working on.

We might be able to handle the word search and user in google advanced search. To me sorting by date is more important.

Edit:I just tried your link. Convenient. No ads this time, so it looks better. And there's a link there at the bottom to exclude a bit by date.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I just had to use your new link to google for a thread I know existed.
The search string was for "these words" and comes out as
"hibernation vickyg site:hifi-remote.com/forums"
search found it fine Smile
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search for "victorian england" took me straight to the post I was looking for. Link
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's official now, I just dropped the large table and deleted the search word box from the forum search.

So, if you want to search for specific words, you'll need to use the Google search.

But, if you want to search for threads by a specific author, you can continue to do that using the forum search.

You can also continue to use the "new posts" link that most experts use:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/search.php?search_id=newposts

And you can also continue to use the link to bring up the posts from the last x number of days:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/search.php?mode=results&search_author=%2a&search_time=1
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Web Site Issues All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: