JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sharp TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Sharp TV Reply with quote

I've got a little TV that I has a tuner problem. When I first turn it on I don't get channels 7,8,9,10, 11, but as soon as it warms up those channels come in, but then I don't get channels 2,3,4,5.

Any ideas on what this could be?

To get rid of this annoying problem, I'd really like to do a video-line in from the family room system anyway. Is there a limit on how far you can do a direct line in. I'd have to run some wire ~20 feet, but I didn't know if you could run a line that far. I've never seen an RCA cable that long.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easy fix for a busted tuner is to use an old VCR as a tuner.

Composite or component video and audio can use ordinary RG-59 or RG-6 coax cable. 20 or 30 feet is no problem. There are adapters to convert from F connector to RCA.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Timmerman wrote:

Composite or component video and audio can use ordinary RG-59 or RG-6 coax cable. 20 or 30 feet is no problem. There are adapters to convert from F connector to RCA.

Cool, I had no idea these existed. This will actually be better than having a TV tuner in my situation. In MI I haven't been forced to the cable-box yet, we were in FL, but I am sure the day can't be long off, and when it does arrive I won't be paying for a box in the kitchen, so this is just what the dr ordered.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F to RCA adapter ($5 each at Radio Shack!)

25 foot A/V cable

50 foot A/V cable
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is probably a bad tuner. Tuners work in bands. 2-6, 14-22, 7-13, 14-36, and so forth.

20 - 30 feet usually works OK for composite.
Longer distances can be achieved by using S-Video.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaphod7501 wrote:
Yes, that is probably a bad tuner. Tuners work in bands. 2-6, 14-22, 7-13, 14-36, and so forth.

Oh I didn't know that, but it sure makes sense with what I'm seeing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: