JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1 folks make your own remote?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1Click

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

My first post, so be gentle, please.

Have the experts/cable makers etc on this forum ever tried to have their own model of remote made? by the likes of UE/OFA or similar. If so what stopped you from going ahead, costs with production?

The reason I'm asking is there is really nothing in Australia unless you want to pay $100 or over for anything that is programmable with good to excellent build quality.

I've just bought a Harmony 785, only cause it was on special, half price, still A$120. But I have to say, the build quality leaves alot to be desired, and I can't see it lasting too long, not in my house anyway,with 2 boys under 5yrs.

Thanks in advance,

Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two main obstacles are (a) the cost and (b) how to sell the remotes once you get them. UEI doesn't deal with small numbers, so if you were to get them to make a custom remote, you would need to be able to order at least 100,000 remotes. Keep in mind that their usual customers are brands like "One For All" and "Radio Shack" and OEMs. When an OEM can't justify making that many remotes, the next option is to use one of UEI's "off the shelf" remotes, like the Atlas and Cat48, etc.

If you think there would be a market in Australia for JP1 remotes, you could look at buying some "One For All" remotes, or maybe the Atlas, in smallish numbers and then re-selling them yourself.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that some is selling the urc-8910 on Ebay.Au for 25.00 shipped. They are selling here for the same price, although these may be knock offs, its hard to tell. For 25.00, its hard to find a better remote.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, here in the US at least, most tend to be remote snobs. We JP1ers are a relatively small group. If a remote doesn't cost at least $150, the general public assumes it can't do anything and won't even consider it. JP1 remotes aren't even on most people's radar. So they end up with a harmony. I suppose they are either unaware of JP1, don't believe how powerful it is, or assume it's too complicated. They don't realize a harmony "activity" is just a macro that any JP1 remote can easily handle, even without a cable, and that harmony software is actually more complicated than JP1 software. Ironically, they'll drop several hundred dollars on a remote, yet cringe at spending $30 on a cable for a $20 remote.

As anyone who's ever tried to resell a few JP1 remotes on this board can tell you, the market just isn't there.

The bottom line is you could try to sell a killer universal remote for $20, but very few would buy it. You'd have to put a high price on it just to get people to notice.

That being said, all the elements for a harmony killer from UEI are there, but they have yet to connect the dots and release the kind of product that has all the flexibility of JP1 and the ease of use of harmony. They tried with the Xsight, but both JP1 and harmony still leave it in the dust. If an individual could do it, that would be great, but the odds of success are pretty low IMO.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone wanted to do it though, the trick would be to find out where these ebay sellers are getting their Atlas remotes from. If they can sell them for $9 a pop (or whatever the current price is) they must be getting them for much less than that.

Of course, for a JP1 remote to be worth anything, you also need a JP1 cable and there's no cheap short cut available there, because they're all made by hand. So while I'm sure Tommy would give you a small break on the price if you were ordering them in bulk, I doubt the price would drop that much.
R2-M0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real question in my mind is why UEI hasn't simply created a nice, consumer-friendly GUI for JP1, and sold it (along with a cable and a $20 JP1 remote) for $100 US. After all, if a group of hobbyists can put together IR and RM and all these extenders and special protocols in their spare time, surely UEI could find themselves a professional full time developer or two to create their own version.

You'd get all the power and flexibility of JP1, along with the "elite remote snob" pricing that would earn it respect in the eyes of the average consumer. Heck, it would even look like a bargain compared to a Harmony, at that price point.
classicsat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To respond to Americans being remote snobs, I will counter that with most people will go for the ultra cheap universal remote, and complain it doesn't do what they want.
1Click

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I see that some is selling the urc-8900 on Ebay.Au for 25.00 shipped. They are selling here for the same price, although these may be knock offs, its hard to tell. For 25.00, its hard to find a better remote.

Can you provide a link to that? Maybe you meant the 8910? All I could find was the 8910, posted from Hong Kong, comes with no packaging! I would say more than likely a copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220568852431

If the market is small in the US, then it would be tiny here, so annoying isn't it? Knowing that an awesome product could be produced with just a little effort, yet nothing is done cause it doesn't appeal to the masses.

This looks alright, but only 4 devices, a bit limiting.

http://www.uei.com/category.php?page_id=66&featured_product=98

And who knows if it's JP1 able

The search continues......... Rolling Eyes
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you provide a link to that? Maybe you meant the 8910? All I could find was the 8910, posted from Hong Kong, comes with no packaging! I would say more than likely a copy.

Yep I meant 8910, and upon further inspection, copy or not, it the style with the "dreaded donut ring".

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
1Click

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Yep I meant 8910, and upon further inspection, copy or not, it the style with the "dreaded donut ring".

Maybe a dumb question, but why is the donut ring so dreaded? Surprised
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Click wrote:
[http://www.uei.com/category.php?page_id=66&featured_product=98

And who knows if it's JP1 able...
Those Nova models at the bottom of the page you linked look identical to the OEM remotes UEI makes for Sanyo and Insignia TVs. So I'd say the chances are very high that those are JP1.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1Click wrote:
Maybe a dumb question, but why is the donut ring so dreaded? Surprised

Five separate buttons (ie, up, down, left, right, select) are much easier to operate than the 1-button/1-ring combo on the "donut" remotes. For starters, the select button is very narrow, so it's difficult to press and the ring is difficult to press correctly. All in all, it was a bad idea so they quickly corrected it and replaced the donut ring with regular buttons.

And in case you're wondering why we're spelling it "donut" rather than "doughnut", you can thank Dunkin' Donuts for that! I don't know if you have that chain down under.
1Click

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is about it for us down here,

http://www.ambertech.com.au/products.php?sectionID=6&catID=104&assID=98

Dunkin Donuts apparantly opening this year, we have Krispy Kreme, but only in the major cities.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are Donut Kings in Oz. If you want doughnuts, though, you have to go to Krispy Kreme.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: