JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IRScope 2.01 Beta posted
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:14 pm    Post subject: IRScope 2.01 Beta posted Reply with quote

I have posted a first beta version of IRScope 2.01. This gives several substantial enhancements beyond IRScope 2.00:

* Notes can be added to entries in the Decode panel and these entries can be re-ordered and deleted.

* Waveform windows that have been closed can be re-opened by double-clicking a Decode entry.

* Any single or multiple selection of Decode entries can be saved as a single .ict file or exported in any of three formats: UEI Learned, Pronto or Lintronic (this latter being a format used by the Beoworld community).

The ability to save an arbitrary selection of decodes as a single .ict file gives a sort of "virtual capture". If a signal contains more than one decode, you do not need to include all the decodes in the selection and you can select decodes from more than one capture. Since the saved file will be at the top of the Recent Files list in the Files menu, you can check that is has worked just by opening this file.

The "ordinary" Save and Save As still function as before. They save the most recent capture, regardless of any selections in the Decode panel. They have been renamed Save Last and Save Last As, to give a greater distinction between them and the new forms of Save Selected and Save Selected As. Notes are saved by the Save Selection operations but not by the Save Last ones.

Because of the greater use of Decode selections, selecting a decode no longer automatically red-lines the corresponding part of the waveform if the waveform window is open. You now need to double-click a decode to get the red-lining, but this now works even if the waveform window has been closed - the window will be re-opened.

The actions that can be performed on a selection of decodes have been grouped into a new panel of buttons for easy use.

Exports all appear in a single file, successive export operations just appending to this file. It is called ExportFromIRScope.txt. By default this is created in the folder containing IRScope.exe but this can be changed with the Set Export Output Folder entry on the File menu.

The package contains the latest Beta version of DecodeIR.dll and a new DLL, ExchangeIR.dll, that is used for the export operations.

This is a work in progress. More features are planned before release. Suggestions and comments are welcome. As usual, USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Edit: I forgot to say that you choose the export format with the Export/Export Mode menu item. The choice is preserved between invocations.
garyb.ncc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been checking out the new beta and everything looks great. Thanks for the hard work. I do have a couple of comments/suggestions which you can use or ignore, and you may have changes planned anyway.

1. It would be nice if the focus to the selected item in the decode list control is set to the added item with the OnCapture event. As is, before I can add a note I have to select the newly added item with the mouse or arrow button before I can click "Add Note."
2. I would like accelerator keys for the new buttons.
3. I would like to be able to select the export filename rather than always exporting to ExportFromIRScope.txt. Maybe an "Export As" option similar to the "Save As" option. This would give me the option to choose a file and export as UEI Learned and then choose a new filename and export as Pronto Learned without mixing the two.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, Gary. I'll answer them later. This is just to say that you were right, it was easier for me to produce a DLL to make Pronto code from the decode than it would have been to explain to you what I needed. Smile I have a first version working, but need more testing before posting it.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyb.ncc wrote:
1. It would be nice if the focus to the selected item in the decode list control is set to the added item with the OnCapture event. As is, before I can add a note I have to select the newly added item with the mouse or arrow button before I can click "Add Note."

Good idea. Will do.

Quote:
2. I would like accelerator keys for the new buttons.

All seven of them? What keys do you suggest?

Quote:
3. I would like to be able to select the export filename rather than always exporting to ExportFromIRScope.txt. Maybe an "Export As" option similar to the "Save As" option. This would give me the option to choose a file and export as UEI Learned and then choose a new filename and export as Pronto Learned without mixing the two.

For myself, I find it a nuisance to have to give a name and it seems unnecessary when there is never any over-writing, new exports always being appended to existing ones. I see the benefit in being able to keep different export types separate, however. Would your need be met if I use different filenames for each export mode, such as just calling them UEILearned.txt, ProntoFromSignal.txt etc.?

BTW When adding notes, just type the text and press Return to go to the next decode. The OK button is the default button, so Return has the same effect.
garyb.ncc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
All seven of them? What keys do you suggest?

Well the Up and Down already pretty much have accelerator keys with the up and down arrows. The Save, Save As, and Export buttons may be used somewhat infrequently so it it might not be so important for these keys. Add/Edit Note and Delete are the keys I think would benefit most from accelerator keys. It would really be nice if a key press event for the keyboard delete key would delete the selected item. As you know View and Capture already have accelerators.

Quote:
For myself, I find it a nuisance to have to give a name and it seems unnecessary when there is never any over-writing, new exports always being appended to existing ones. I see the benefit in being able to keep different export types separate, however. Would your need be met if I use different filenames for each export mode, such as just calling them UEILearned.txt, ProntoFromSignal.txt etc.?

What I had in mind was allowing the user to set the path and filename and continue to use the same file until changed by the user. Maybe store the filename in the registry for subsequent restarts of the application. In this manner the user can mix or not mix protocol outputs based on user intent. The use of different filenames for each export mode would meet my needs, but then I would be in the business of renaming files.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes this sounds scary. I don't have the latest and greatest downloaded, and I don't have the band width to download any files until early morning or late night, but please tell me this isn't anything to do with the autosave of my ICT files! I'm in a panic as I'm reading this. Tell me this has to do with the exporting function only.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
garyb.ncc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
...please tell me this isn't anything to do with the autosave of my ICT files! I'm in a panic as I'm reading this. Tell me this has to do with the exporting function only.
We are only discussing the export files. The ICT files are affected as Graham stated earlier:
mathdon wrote:
The "ordinary" Save and Save As still function as before. They save the most recent capture, regardless of any selections in the Decode panel. They have been renamed Save Last and Save Last As, to give a greater distinction between them and the new forms of Save Selected and Save Selected As. Notes are saved by the Save Selection operations but not by the Save Last ones.
One of the nicest features added to the ICT files (at least in my opinion) is the ability to save a selection of multiple waveforms in one ICT file instead of individual ICT files.

Your previous save options are intact.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for setting me at ease. I've written down a to-do note, to download this tonight. I use IRScope all the time, and I need it to keep its current functionality. I think with the new enhancements it will be even more of an aid. I absolutely LOVE my Widget!

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
please tell me this isn't anything to do with the autosave of my ICT files!

I don't think I've disturbed anything you want undisturbed, but please yell if I have. I'm sure I can rely on you to do that! Smile
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
please tell me this isn't anything to do with the autosave of my ICT files!

I don't think I've disturbed anything you want undisturbed, but please yell if I have. I'm sure I can rely on you to do that! Smile

Oh you know me all too well. hahahah Laughing

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyb.ncc wrote:
Well the Up and Down already pretty much have accelerator keys with the up and down arrows.

Perhaps you misunderstand the Up and Down buttons. They are for re-ordering the decodes - they move the selected items up and down the decode order. I've made Ctrl/UpArrow andf Ctrl/DownArrow be accelerator keys for them. They don't appear on menus, however, so there is nowhere that you see that these are accelerator keys for those buttons.

Quote:
Save, Save As, and Export buttons may be used somewhat infrequently so it it might not be so important for these keys. Add/Edit Note and Delete are the keys I think would benefit most from accelerator keys.

Save Selected, and Save Selected As, actually already had accelerator keys (shown on the File menu). I've changed the key for Save Selected As, and added one for Add/Edit Note thus:

Save Selected = Ctrl+L
Save Selected As = Ctrl+M
Add/Edit Note = Ctrl+N.

These are all shown on the File menu, as is the Delete key which now deletes the selected decodes. Ctrl+E is now an accelerator key for Export Selected, shown on the Export menu.

Quote:
What I had in mind was allowing the user to set the path and filename and continue to use the same file until changed by the user. Maybe store the filename in the registry for subsequent restarts of the application. In this manner the user can mix or not mix protocol outputs based on user intent. The use of different filenames for each export mode would meet my needs, but then I would be in the business of renaming files.

I feel that there is little difference in effort between renaming a file after you have saved your exports and naming it before you do the exports, so it does not seem worth the effort to set up the naming mechanism you suggest. Unless others feel strongly about it, I shall keep to my proposal just to have different default names for different export types.

In the end I have used ExportedUEI.txt, ExportedPronto.txt and ExportedLintronic.txt. Pronto From Signal and Pronto From Decode will both go into the ExportedPronto file, as I find it useful to be able to do both and then compare them within the same file.
garyb.ncc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
Perhaps you misunderstand the Up and Down buttons. They are for re-ordering the decodes - they move the selected items up and down the decode order.
Of course you are right. I was not using IRScope (beta) at the time I wrote this and was working from memory. None the less I like having the ability to organize the decodes.

Thanks for the addition of the accelerator keys. The main ones I needed were the Add/Edit Note and Delete. I will especially enjoy the delete key for deleting erroneous decodes. It is such a natural habit to press delete for removing selected items. I find myself pressing it now with no effect.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Graham, I was able to download IRScope in the middle of the night (apparently this huge windows patch is going to be slowing down my internet connectivity for some time!)

As noted, all the functions that I use are intact, thank you very much!

I think the export function is going to be very useful, BUT I found it to be confusing enough to actually go back to the zip file to read the documentation. Only there wasn't any documentation to read, Laughing

So you are keeping 2 different save folders?

You probably seperated them because someone asked for the feature, but it would be much more intuitive if you only had to set your project folder once instead of two times.

I think of it more as a Project folder. I switch folders, depending on which project I'm working on. If I'm working on Barf's Nokia project, I switch to his folder. If I'm working on TildaJones Apple project, I switch to that folder. If I wanted to provide a set of pronto hex or UEI learns for either of these user's, I'd want there export file stored in their folder with only their learns.

mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I think the export function is going to be very useful, BUT I found it to be confusing enough to actually go back to the zip file to read the documentation. Only there wasn't any documentation to read,

No, only one. What makes you think otherwise? If it is to do with my recent comments, it is that there will be different filenames for each of the three export types (is that a problem for you?), but all will be in the same folder. If you are finding anything different it suggests there is a bug, so please say what is happening.
Quote:
Only there wasn't any documentation to read,

Sorry, there will be in due course but not in this beta version.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
I think the export function is going to be very useful, BUT I found it to be confusing enough to actually go back to the zip file to read the documentation. Only there wasn't any documentation to read,

No, only one. What makes you think otherwise?

Seeing these two items on the File menu made me think you were were having 2 different save folders.

Set Save Folder
Set Export Output Folder

Also while I'm on the folder topic, I don't like that the View Folder is saved between sessions. I think it should default to the Save folder whenever you start up the Irscope.

And even further (but this is something you'd need to get other people's opinion on, I'd like the View folder to actually change if I changed the save folder). If I navigate away from the save folder to view something else, then you can/should continue with that folder, that makes sense, but really having to do the navigation three times everytime I change projects gets tiring.

Quote:
If it is to do with my recent comments, it is that there will be different filenames for each of the three export types (is that a problem for you?), but all will be in the same folder. If you are finding anything different it suggests there is a bug, so please say what is happening.

No having the single file name for each type works great as long as they follow the project. I can see that this is really going to be a cool feature.

The Add note was really helpful to me, because the signals I am capturing don't decode, (after all that's why I'm working on them), so being able to add the note and have it appear with the learns is very important. I also understand why we need BOTH yours and Gary's decode method. (Gary's method is still grayed out) But if we were to encode my signals that all decode as Nokia12 Dev1 OBC1 using the rules, It wouldn't work very well.

Quote:

Quote:
Only there wasn't any documentation to read,

Sorry, there will be in due course but not in this beta version.

I'm sorry I was kidding there. I HATE to read (or write) documentation, but I did go looking for it because I couldn't figure out what was going on with the new features.

All in all great job!

Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: