JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

fixing worn keys on urc 9910 - open instructions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rocket777

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: fixing worn keys on urc 9910 - open instructions Reply with quote

I've got a urc 9910 with a few keys that are real sticky. Can someone whose opened one up confirm the procedure. I'm the type who when opening up something electronic usually finds parts falling out that I can never figure out where they go.

Inside the battery holder there's 2 screws. Besides for that, is there anything else - do i need to pry apart what looks like 2 halves, or will they come loose with the screws out. Do the keys all fall out if you get it apart?

Short of that, I guess I could remap the keys, but it's been years since I did that and my memory is failing.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=92997#92997
rocket777

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:04 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, that was quite helpful.

The 9910, b01 model was slightly different than described in that link.

There were only 4 screws on the pcb board at the top near the lcd surrounding a round object, likely the rf transmitter. Then there was a plastic button retainer cover that seemed to be able to go back in two ways - as the keys are symetric right/left. The difference is that the button holes on one side are concave, but flat on the other side. The concave side goes out.

I didn't find the other gaskets mentioned and I didn't pull out the keys as I could see what was gumming up things. I washed the plastic retainer with a toothbrush and some soapy water. The contacts on the pc board I cleaned with a cue tip and some rubbing alcohol. I used a compressed air can to dry it and looked for any cotton threads from the cue tips with a magnifier.

Naturally, the most gummed up parts were the pause and 30 sec skip keys I'd programmed Smile

I had a bit of trouble getting the pcb board to seat back in the first try. It should lie flat and below the edges on both sides. I found some plastic that had some little pieces of thread like obstructions holding it up on one side. I think that was a result of my prying it open with a screw driver. Once I picked that clean it fit perfectly again.

I didn't take the keys all the way out as there was plenty of gum-like or waxy crud there to clean. Some was sticky and I used the flat edge of a small screwdriver to clean the key pads. There wasn't all that much wear that I could see, just crud that must have come from oils on my fingers over the years.

Anyway, it's working like a baby now, thanks for the link to the post.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-2116, which is what the other post was dealing with, has a transformer that powers that backlight, and the backlight itself is a plastic sheet. The URC-9910 doesn't have either of these.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: