JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Beta Test: Using JP1 (EEPROM) with 64-bit Vista/Win7
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Beta Test: Using JP1 (EEPROM) with 64-bit Vista/Win7 Reply with quote

The JP1 (EEPROM) USB cables use a chip made and programmed by Delcom, but unfortunately, Delcom has decided not to provide a 64-driver for their chip, so for now these cables won't work with 64-bit operating systems.

The parallel and serial ports should work, assuming you can find a 64-bit machine that still has these ports, but you need to set the OS to run in XP SR3 compatibility mode first (thanks hwiggers).

We are looking at various possible solutions to this at the moment.

1) Kevin Timmerman has come up with an adapter that would convert any flash based cable into an EEPROM based cable here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11819

2) Thomas is looking into a new cable design here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11817

3) 3FG is looking into using different drivers that would drive these cables under 64-bit Vista and Win7. If you have a JP1 (EEPROM) cable, an EEPROM based remote and are using a 64-bit version of Windows Vista or Win7 and would like to beta test this approach, please read on.

The full instructions are here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7913

The driver files have been split into two zips:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7847 (Intel)
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=7849 (AMD)

Last edited by The Robman on Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of comments on what Rob generously referred to as "beta testing".
The driver itself is the WinUSB driver which is fully released by Microsoft, and which supports 32 bit XP SP3, 32/64 bit Vista, and 32/64 bit Win, for both Intel and AMD processors. I've configured the driver installation package so that the Delcom USB Vendor ID and Product ID are associated with an instance of WinUSB, so there's potential for error in the configuration, but mdavej has shown that the driver can be installed on 64 bit Win7 with a correct association to the Delcom IDs.

We don't know if the WinUSB driver will correctly transfer information between the Delcom chip and IR.exe. So we want to test that using IR.exe as it exists today. To that end, I've implemented a full Mark II kludge to allow IR.exe to find the WinUSB driver. (The Mark I version was foiled by Win7 security measures, which makes it difficult for application programs to write to the registry. It may in fact cause IR.exe some problems, since it writes to the registry. That's speculation since I don't have Vista or Win7, and I don't even know what is blocking registry writes.)

The kludge involves the user modifying a value in the Registry, so a tester should be comfortable with working in the Registry. Testers should plan on at least a couple of hours of patient fiddling, or frustration is likely to set in.

Having said all of that, I'm pretty confident that we will get this to work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tests all come back positive, do you have any ideas about how we can come up with a more friendly install procedure for it? Will Windows let us do that?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the installation should be as easy as plugging in the Delcom interface cable-- if the original Delcom driver was never loaded or was fully removed. I can try to write a "cleaner" program that gets rid of the Delcom Windows\Inf\ OEM*.inf entries that I think get in the way: Windows sees a previously successful installation and therefore prefers that to a newer version. Otherwise it is seemingly necessary to manually direct the OS to update the driver.

The Mark II kludge is not related to installation, but to the way in which IR.exe finds the driver each time IR starts. I know how to make that completely transparent, but the best way (from my point of view) is to make a small change to IR.exe, and we shouldn't bother Graham with that until everything is known to work.

At the moment, the user should run WinUSBdemo before trying to connect to the interface, and by simply clicking a button, the registry should be updated with no further effort on the part of the user. However, mdavej found that the WinUSBdemo wasn't allowed to do the write to the registry, so I've included instructions on how a user can do that manually. I have just also updated the instructions, which may fix the problem: WinUSBdemo should be started by a right click, and selecting "run as administrator".
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've started trying to do the test on my 64-bit Vista laptop. I have successfully installed the driver and I've run the demo program to get the device name and then I navigated through RegEdit to the Delcom entry only to find that it already contained the data that I'd saved from the demo program.

Just for the record, the data that I got from the demo program is:
\\?\usb#vid_0fc5&pid_1222#5&26769126&0&3#{cafa8e93-7c32-4c27-b088-d8c36aaf4ebf}

So, I tried starting up IR.exe, even selecting "run as admin" just to be safe, but it can't find the driver.

What should I try next?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, that's a different result than mdavej got, and now I see why. He is using Windows 7, which restricts applications from writing to some parts of the registry. So he carefully typed in that long identifier, and the Delcom interface was recognized, but failed in SetBits.

The program is able to write the registry under Vista, but it doesn't write to exactly the correct place. It looks OK, but IR can't find it.

Here's a revised version , which seems to write to the correct location. It may be necessary to cycle plug the Delcom interface after starting IR.exe.

The most likely result will be the same thing mdavej has found-- fails in SetBits. I've now wasted a fair amount of mdavej's time trying to get a diagnostic Visual Basic program running to find the specific error number, but it doesn't get as far as IR does. So I'll switch to Delphi (like IR.exe) to see if we can nail down the error, but it's been more than 10 years since I last programmed in Delphi, and it's going to take a couple of days. However, please try the program in the link, and then IR.

I've received a reply from Delcom. He said that the Delcom driver basically just passes the packet of information from IR.exe through to the interface hardware, with the exception of turning on a bit when the requested action is a read.

We're pretty close to getting this working. The driver loads under Vista 64 and Win 7 64. The Delcom interface is recognized by the USB subsystem, and the WinUSB driver can talk to it-- at least the part of the firmware that Cypress Semi wrote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I think I'm probably getting the same error as Dave:

So, if I currently have the key in the wrong location, what is the right location.

Here's where it at currently:

3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long Vid/Pid/Guid string should be a key called Device Name in Delcom\USBIODS\Parameters. On the left side of your image above, there is a folder called DeviceName and then on the right there is a key called DeviceName. The left side should not have the folder called DeviceName.

But I wonder why the program was able to write to the registry yesterday, but not today?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guessed as much but couldn't figure out how to add a key because every time I tried it just added what looks like a folder, so what is the right "step by step" process for adding the key properly?
Kevin Timmerman
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right click on the Parameters folder and select New | String Value.

Give it the name DeviceName, and then double click it to set the value.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I now have the key set and IR shows the JP1 USB as an option, but I get the "Unable to open device. Please check connection" message.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With IR.exe open and FindGuid closed, unplug the interface and plug it in again. That works for me, although I'm using a FTDI interface rather than a Delcom.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no difference. First I just unplugged the interface and tried IR again, then when that didn't work, I tried the "safely remove hardware" option first and then did it again, but still get the same message.

Now I remember Tommy writing somewhere that using IR.exe was the worst way to test an interface after you've built it, he suggested using some tools, but I think they may have all been for JP1.x remotes.

Is there an other way to test this other than using IR?
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on a test program written in Delphi 7 right now. IR.exe tells if something doesn't work right, but doesn't provide any error codes, so it is really hard to diagnose. It will take me a day or two to get a program up and running.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear Dave, I'll be ready when you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: