JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote for borg'd homebrew TV/monitor monstrosity
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davegsm82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Remote for borg'd homebrew TV/monitor monstrosity Reply with quote

Ok, well its not really a homebrew, but one day I was given the remnants of a broken TFT television, screen was smashed and the case was so broken that even the speakers were missing.

Anyway, i removed the main PCB and it hung about until I got REALLY bored one day and had a play about with it and found the interface to the screen was a standard LVDS signal which I cut-and-shutted to a 15" TFT monitor screen.

It worked fine so i've built the TV board into the back of the junked monitor. However, I was wasn't given the remote with the TV, and I CAN NOT get anything to work with it apart from one 'Toshiba' remote which a few of the buttons perform random functions on the TV, such as vol+, CH-, a couple of the channel buttons and mute.

I even went to the extent of creating a 8x8 key matrix of tactile switches on PCB, removed the driver chip from the remote, added it to my key matrix and made sure all AVAILABLE codes were pressed, nothing astounding happened, one or two more functions discovered but nothing useful.

Would a JP1 remote be useful here? or is there any way that anyone knows of that I could analyse the codes which DO work the TV and attempt to recreate the ones which are likely to perform the rest of the functions?

I've tried googleing till my heard's content and cant find any decent answers to my predicament.

Thanks, Dave.

p.s i'll add pictures of the 'THING' and the partially functioning remote if anyone is interested.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, sounds like you really like to tinker, Smile . I thought TFT was a brand, but after googling the term I realize that TFT is a type of tv or monitor. If you have the brand and model number of the original tv, you could check to see if someone has already built an an upgrade in our file area or over at . Since you already have a partially working Toshiba remote, chances are pretty good that you could figure out the rest of the remote signals. I'd recommend getting a jp1, jp1.2 or jp1.3 with LEARNING, you could capture the signals that do work, and then fill in the missing functions. I think you'd enjoy this hobby.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
davegsm82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Hi Dave, sounds like you really like to tinker, Smile . I thought TFT was a brand, but after googling the term I realize that TFT is a type of tv or monitor. If you have the brand and model number of the original tv, you could check to see if someone has already built an an upgrade in our file area or over at . Since you already have a partially working Toshiba remote, chances are pretty good that you could figure out the rest of the remote signals. I'd recommend getting a jp1, jp1.2 or jp1.3 with LEARNING, you could capture the signals that do work, and then fill in the missing functions. I think you'd enjoy this hobby.

Hey, yea i'm an electronics nerd really, and i'm not sure how many people there are from the UK on here but i'm one of them, and to be honest, it can get a bit boring. Crying or Very sad

If I was to get a compatible remote with a learning function, can I then download the working codes to the computer to observe the string of data, and manipulate it to try and re-create the other functions?

Unfortunately, I no longer have the casing that the board came from, I simply stripped out the board, buttons and connectors then junked the smashed up plastic, there was no point in keeping it. If I remember right, the sticker was missing from the back of the cover anyway, so it wouldn't have been much use if I did still have the casing.

thanks, Dave.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave, you certainly like to get your hands dirty, don't you. We could use someone like you around here, so I hope you stick around.

Anyway, to the subject at hand. Like Vicky said, if you know the brand and/or model number of the original TV, we might be able to find you the right code that way. Alternatively, if you know what device the Toshiba remote came from, we might get close enough that way. If the other remote is for a Toshiba TV, then chances are good that the signals would match out TV/0156 setup code.

If you were to get a JP1 learning remote, you could absolutely capture the signals from the Toshiba remote and then see what they look like. Our software would tell you the IR protocol, the device code(s) and the original button codes (OBCs). With that info, you could build a new upgrade that you could load into your JP1 remote with all the functions on the right buttons. You could also try all of the remaining button codes to see if any of them do anything. There are typically 256 possible OBCs per device code.

We do have a few other UK folks on board. I'm from the UK myself, but I moved to the States a long time ago, so I guess I don't count anymore! Smile

Do you have a serial port on your PC? If so, you could build yourself a Serial JP1.x cable using the instructions found here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=121

If you can't find a "One For All" remote locally, I can sell you a URC-8820 8 device learning remote for $20 USD, plus $13 postage. $33 is about £20.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davegsm82 wrote:
If I was to get a compatible remote with a learning function, can I then download the working codes to the computer to observe the string of data, and manipulate it to try and re-create the other functions?

Yes, If you had a JP1 learning remote, you could take a look at the Toshiba codes that work and fill in the blanks. For an "electronics nerd" the JP1 remote is a good investment. Over in the UK there are better selection of One For All remotes than we have here in the states.

Beware, JP1 remotes have an addictive quality.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Over in the UK there are better selection of One For All remotes than we have here in the States.

True, but they do tend to be expensive.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
vickyg2003 wrote:
Over in the UK there are better selection of One For All remotes than we have here in the States.

True, but they do tend to be expensive.

Oh, I didn't realize they were expensive. Perhaps Ebay might turn up a bargain UEI learner. I remember when I bought my first Cinema 7, I thought it was a little pricey, especially when I was supposed to break it apart and solder in the pins and buy a cable to go with it. In retrospect that was money wisely spent. I've never once regretted spending the money.

davegsm82

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again guys,

Thanks for the warm reception, hopefully i can be useful to someone while i'm around. For the Record i'm an electronics technician, who also does TV repair etc in my spare time.

I've taken some pics now that i'm back home, firstly, my 'lab' Rolling Eyes

Also, some shots of the 'borg' tv and the remote I made.

This is where I interfaced the old TV board to the monitor screen

Does anyone recognise this simple menu system?

Slight modification of the original button notations Very Happy

Here's the remote...

While I was looking about tonight I found this remote in one of my junk boxes, its made by 'Tevion' which is a cheaper brand usually found in one of the local swedish/austrian supermarkets such as LIDL and ALDI. Model number MD41666. It has no JP1 connection, however when I took it apart this is what I found, the controller is a blob on the board, and it has a memory chip attached which is a serial EEPROM, 24C16.

On the Keypad I noticed one 2 little buttons marked MACRO and LEARN.

Buttons at the top have options for TV, VCR, DVD, CD, CBL, ASAT, DSAT and AUX, all backlit with green LED's. I'm thinking this could be something along the lines of what you guys are using. At the very top is a tiny LCD screen, but its only a clock, literally just the quartz clock out of a £1 wristwatch wired into the PCB Confused

If you guys think this could be a 1.1 type then i'll try and attach some leads to the EEPROM and read it off.

Sorry for the large picture content.

Thanks, Dave.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davegsm82 wrote:
Thanks for the warm reception, hopefully i can be useful to someone while i'm around. For the Record i'm an electronics technician, who also does TV repair etc in my spare time.

We have an Electronics Repair forum here, so feel free to help out when you can.

davegsm82 wrote:
While I was looking about tonight I found this remote in one of my junk boxes, its made by 'Tevion' which is a cheaper brand usually found in one of the local swedish/austrian supermarkets such as LIDL and ALDI. Model number MD41666. It has no JP1 connection, however when I took it apart this is what I found, the controller is a blob on the board, and it has a memory chip attached which is a serial EEPROM, 24C16.

On the Keypad I noticed one 2 little buttons marked MACRO and LEARN.

Buttons at the top have options for TV, VCR, DVD, CD, CBL, ASAT, DSAT and AUX, all backlit with green LED's. I'm thinking this could be something along the lines of what you guys are using. At the very top is a tiny LCD screen, but its only a clock, literally just the quartz clock out of a £1 wristwatch wired into the PCB Confused

If you guys think this could be a 1.1 type then i'll try and attach some leads to the EEPROM and read it off.

I found the manual for your remote here:
http://download1.medion.de/downloads/anleitungen/bda41666uk.pdf

and the code list here:
http://download1.medion.de/downloads/anleitungen/bda41666codes.pdf

It doesn't look like this is a UEI remote, so I don't think you'll be able to use it for any JP1 purposes.

Btw, some of your pics aren't resolving.
davegsm82

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

I found the manual for your remote here:
http://download1.medion.de/downloads/anleitungen/bda41666uk.pdf

and the code list here:
http://download1.medion.de/downloads/anleitungen/bda41666codes.pdf

It doesn't look like this is a UEI remote, so I don't think you'll be able to use it for any JP1 purposes.

Btw, some of your pics aren't resolving.

Pics seem to be working ok now.

Anyway, Is there any chance that this remote works on the same code set? or is it definately going to be different to the UEI?

I did some digging myself and found those manuals last night which allowed me to try it out.

I used the learn function last night to learn some of the buttons which do work on the borg'd remote, the remote learned them fine and was able to re-transmit them and change the channel etc.

I might have a go at reading that EEPROM anyway and see what I come up with, failing that I will attempt to find a 'One for all' branded remote, there's plenty about, its just finding a decent one that can be difficult.

Does anything exist for the PC which will allow you to 'read' the data coming from a remote? I understand that the JP1 remotes will tell you this, but i'm interested in a PC based interface too if such a thing exists.

Dave.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the remote isn't made by UEI, none of the stuff that we've developed in the JP1 world will work with it. Looking at the instructions in the manual and the codes in the code list, this remote just doesn't sound like a UEI remote.

I'd be interested in seeing the contents of the EEPROM also, but I can't guarantee that I'll be able to decode the contents.

Yes, the device you're looking for is called an IR Widget, Tommy sells them here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9405
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@davegsm82
You can read the contents of these 24C EEPROMs for a few USD (the cost of a PIC chip), though it's a bit complex. I have scanned a couple in home security systems (owners forgot the password). I programmed a PIC chip and isolated the Vdd pin on the EEPROM, attached jumpers to Vss, SCL, SDA, and dumped the data to my computer terminal program. The PIC chips are easy to work with, the complex part is getting the program right.

Alternatively, there are gadgets for around USD70 that will do the job, take a look at the i2cchip website.

Tom
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had a JP1 (EEPROM) cable, you could probably read the contents of the EEPROM for free simply by hooking up some wires and a 6-pin header, then using the cable and IR.exe.

If you have a parallel port on your PC, you can make the old fashioned "Simple" cable really easily, it just contains a diode and 2 resistors. If the sole purpose is to read the EEPROM, you can skip the IDC and 6-pin header and just wire the thing straight to the EEPROM.
wnewell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davegsm82 wrote:
Does anything exist for the PC which will allow you to 'read' the data coming from a remote? I understand that the JP1 remotes will tell you this, but i'm interested in a PC based interface too if such a thing exists.

Check out lirc.org. It comes with lots of utilities to read the data from any ir remote. You will need an ir receiver, but you can probably build one if you don't have one already. Or you can buy them really cheap.
davegsm82

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wnewell wrote:
davegsm82 wrote:

Check out lirc.org. It comes with lots of utilities to read the data from any ir remote. You will need an ir receiver, but you can probably build one if you don't have one already. Or you can buy them really cheap.

Unfortunately on this occasion i'm not running linux so LIRC wont work for me I dont think, unless theres a windows version i'm missing out on somewhere.

Would LIRC work with a linux boot disk such as 'Backtrack'? or would it have to be a full blown linux install?

Anyway, today I had a search around and suprisingly couldn't find and one for all branded remotes apart from one, a URC2585 which is a very old, very basic one for all remote, controlling 4 functions but doesn't have a large amount of keys on the keypad.

What it DOES have in the back is a J1 connector, which has 3 pins, i'm presuming you just tap into the battery connector for the other 2 (the JP1 connector only uses 5 pins, right?). I understand this remote might not be compatible at all with the JP1 mod. Heres a link to the manual - http://www.rockabilly.net/files/manuals/URC-2585.pdf

I've got an EEprom reader cable kicking about somewhere, i'll dig that out and read the contents of the EEPROM on the Tevion remote, once after resetting it, and once after scanning the codes from the borg'd remote.

Thanks again,

Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: