JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bio Memory Failing, Dumb Questions Follow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bevhoward

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Bio Memory Failing, Dumb Questions Follow Reply with quote

Pardon... but my bio memory (gray cells) seems to be failing... I can't r'member the following details... help!

1) How does one execute a <shift> on 6131 and 8910 remotes?

2) How does one determine exact model... i.e. old, new, 1k, 2k, extender, etc?

3) What happens if the wrong "sub model" is chosen?

4) Why does audio VPT (turned on for three devices) work sometime and sometime not? It works always on TV, it worked originally on PVR, but now does not.

Thanks in advance,
Beverly Howard
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The SHIFT key is the SETUP key (aka, MAGIC on some remotes)

2) I assume you're talking about RM rather than IR, right? We created different RDFs for each of the variants so that IR would do the right thing, but the thing is, RM uses the RDFs too, so you get presented with a choice, when it really doesn't make a difference.

If you are talking about IR, then just let IR chose which one to use when you do a download and you'll be fine.

3) In RM, nothing. In IR, you could have problems, so let IR chose.

4) VPT only works when the device button is in it's natural state. If you assign a CBL code to the VCR button, you will break VPT on the VCR button.
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>> 1) The SHIFT key is the SETUP key (aka, MAGIC on some remotes) <<

So, press it once, then press the key where a shift is assigned?

>> 2-3 <<

Thanks... that lifts the fog a bit.

>> 4) VPT only works when the device button is in it's natural state. If you assign a CBL code to the VCR button, you will break VPT on the VCR button. <<

Makes sense. In this case, the device is an XM tuner attached to the amp which is assigned to AUD, so, do I have any option such as lying and telling IR that the device is a pvr?

Your expertise is again appreciated.
Beverly
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bevhoward wrote:
So, press it once, then press the key where a shift is assigned?

Yup, you press and release it, you don't hold it like a real SHIFT key. The only exception is if the shifted function is programmed to a numeric button, in which case you have to press it twice. So...

shift/MENU = SETUP, MENU
shift/2 = SETUP, SETUP, 2

bevhoward wrote:
Makes sense. In this case, the device is an XM tuner attached to the amp which is assigned to AUD, so, do I have any option such as lying and telling IR that the device is a pvr?

Absolutely, there's no penalty for lying in the JP1 world. If you want to assign your XM to the PVR button, who's native state is VCR, create the upgrade as a VCR upgrade and it will work.

Just FYI, IIRC this rule only applies to the devices that need to punch through, not to the device itself. So, the amplifier itself can be assigned to a non-native device button and VPT will still work as long as all the other devices are using native device modes.

If that didn't make sense, try this...
Create an audio device upgrade for your amp and assign it to the TV button (so this is a non-native device button). Then create a VCR upgrade for your DVD player and assign it to one video device buttons (ie, PVR, VCR, DVD) and VPT should work.

But...

If you were to assign the DVD upgrade to the CD button, VPT would not work.

bevhoward wrote:
>> 1) The SHIFT key is the SETUP key (aka, MAGIC on some remotes) <<

Btw, you have an interesting quoting style (using the >> << tags), do you know how to use the QUOTE button?
bevhoward

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Btw, you have an interesting quoting style (using the >> << tags), do you know how to use the QUOTE button?

That's the result of three decades of ascii forum participation, nntp newsgroups plus going back to Compuserve, The Source and dial up bulletin boards at 300 baud.

Since I am still active on a number of nntp forums, which are ascii only, it's what I generally use unless asked to do otherwise... that, and I have a macro that allows me to copy something and create the quote with two keystrokes and no mouse.

WilCo (Will Comply) ...and that one goes back to learning to fly in the 50's Wink

Thanks for the confirmations.
Beverly
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: