JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JVC TV code question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: JVC TV code question Reply with quote

I have a new JVC AV-29VS24 29-inch multi-system multi-voltage TV. Couldn't find any pre-existing KM or RM files for it, and having a supply of learners (8910, 1994, and 2117) had no qualms about learning all of the signals from its remote and building my own upgrade. I discovered that this TV responds to different device code signals using the JVC protocol for various different functions. Specifically, the bulk of the functions are all JVC protocol, device 3 (41 basic and advanced TV video and audio functions). The small set (thirteen) of teletext functions were all JVC dev 35 while a single function ("picture booster") is JVC dev 15.

The 1994 looks like the best match for operating this piece of gear due to the existence and placement of the 1S through 4S buttons (to correspond to the teletext red, green, yellow and blue buttons), and I have built two versions of upgrades.

One method is three separate upgrades, a major one for the primary TV device, and two bare-bones ones for the other two device codes and uses keymoves from the two smaller ones to put the functions on the TV device.

Method two is smashing all of them together into one upgrade using the device combiner. (I haven't compared the two methods yet to see which is more memory-efficient)

I recognize that as long as upgrade space is not at a premium, if both methods work, it makes no difference which route I go, but when space starts to run short, I figure I could save a buttload of upgrade memory if I could just keymove the handful of Device 15 and 35 functions from a built-in setup code. So I ask:

Are any of these JVC protocol/device combinations resident in the 1994, and what are the setup codes for them?

P.S. By the way, a "careful" code search (I understand the risks of code searches on TVs) using the "fill in some obvious gaps in OBC sequences" method uncovered all of the discretes that the OEM remote did not have. Power ON, Power Off, Tuner, Video 1, Video 2 and Video 3.

Why oh why do the manufaturers continue to "hide" these functions that are already built into their equipment from the poor dumb consumer?! The marginal cost of adding a few extra buttons to the OEM remote can't possibly that prohibitive.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that KeyMove memory is distinct from upgrade memory. If you're not using an extender you're much more likely to run out of KeyMove memory.

Thirteen (dev 35 functions) if you want them all is not really a small set.

If you can map most of what you want within the body of an upgrade (CBL or VCR upgrade types work better for that than TV on the 1994) then the device combiner method should use less KeyMove memory.

If a lot of the teletext functions need KeyMoves regardless of whether you use the device combiner (based on which keys you assign them to) you might even want to have the dummy upgrade to support 5 byte (instead of 6) KeyMoves for those even if you use device combiner to avoid KeyMoves on other dev 35 functions.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I failed to mention that I am using the extender version 5, and as this is "ONLY" the kids "play system" consisting of only a TV, DVD player and Sky Box, I am not anywhere NEAR to using up all of the keymove space, but I still wonder if there are any built-in setup codes that reflect the JVC protocol with these device codes (3, 15 and/or 35)
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TV/0053 is JVC:3
The setup code for JVC:35 is not built-in on the 15-1994 so it does you no good.
There is no setup code for JVC:15

I don't know of any official (or other) combo protocol for JVC.
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm missing something, it would be very easy to create a combo protocol using PB. I can do that later today. That would probably be the most flexible way to assign any command to any key. The only downside would be an additional byte per key assigned or moved.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,

Thanks for the offer to write a combo protocol. I think I'd like to have that so I can use all three JVC_TV "devices" in a single JVC-TV upgrade, without using the really "bulky" Device Combiner protocol.

What does it take to do this?

What information do you need aside from what is already provided?

Cheerio
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not short of KeyMove memory, the cleanest way to set this up is:

1) Make and install "dummy" upgrades for JVC:35 and JVC:15. In a dummy upgrade you assign no buttons and you don't program any device key to use the setup code. You just give a setup code number to that protocol/device number.

2) Make an upgrade for JVC:3

3) Using the "external functions" definition method in KM or RM (it's a more obvious UI in RM) define all the JVC:35 and JVC:15 functions for use in the main upgrade.

4) Assign buttons and install normally.

If you are short of KeyMove memory, you can do it all as an ordinary device combiner upgrade.

Jon or I (or anyone else who knows how to build executors quickly) could slap together a combo version of JVC. But what's the point? It would have no significant advantage vs. using the main device combiner protocol with JVC (which you can do without expert help).
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't see your response to my original offer to create one. I just put one together it has the basic TV commands but very few assigned to any buttons. Also notice the hex you need to enter in the byte 2 column for the three devices in the notes block in the first page. I put in three different devices in the numerals to test so those need to be set back to device 3 (3F hex).

You can use EFC's to enter in KM but to do key moves it must be in IR with 2 byte hex commands.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1327
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Will experiment with this over the next few days.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:05 am    Post subject: Manual Settings in RM? Reply with quote

Well, I finally got around to it and have entered the upgrade into my IR file, but haven't tested it. After importing the KM upgrade into IR, I noticed the keymoves were assigned to goofy - unintended - keys, and then I actually READ your post wherein you clearly state keymoves have to be done in IR (rats!)

Am working on that.

Meanwhile - I am unable to open this Manual Settings upgrade in RM. Is there a plan to add this capability to RM in the future?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since release 1.19 yesterday, the KM upgrade properly opens in RM, and when I assign al of the buttons and keymoves, they import correctly into IR, so I guess whatever limitation KM has on importing keymoves does not apply to RM. Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Manual Settings in RM? Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
Well, I finally got around to it and have entered the upgrade into my IR file, but haven't tested it. After importing the KM upgrade into IR, I noticed the keymoves were assigned to goofy - unintended - keys

I just download the file myself and none of the assigned buttons cause keymoves, so I'm curious what keymoves you were seeing?

Capn Trips wrote:
and then I actually READ your post wherein you clearly state keymoves have to be done in IR (rats!)

Jon's post is mis-leading but I think this is what he meant to say...

"While you can use EFCs in KM, if you create keymoves in IR you must use the 2-byte hex codes."

In addition to any keymoves entered into the Keymove tab in KM, if you assign a function to a button in KM where the button name is preceded by '@', this will generate a keymove.

Capn Trips wrote:
Since release 1.19 yesterday, the KM upgrade properly opens in RM, and when I assign al of the buttons and keymoves, they import correctly into IR, so I guess whatever limitation KM has on importing keymoves does not apply to RM.

KM doesn't have any limitation on keymoves that I'm aware of.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Manual Settings in RM? Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

I just download the file myself and none of the assigned buttons cause keymoves, so I'm curious what keymoves you were seeing?

I apologize for causing any confusion, but Jon's file was incomplete, so I was referring to MY upgrade (which I have not yet uploaded), in which I took Jon's fiile and assigned all of the functions to buttons, which in fact generated multiple keymoves. When I did this in KM and imported the upgrade into IR, all of the keymoves ended up assigned to incorrect buttons. When I did this in RM (1.19), all of the generated keymoves were imported correctly.

The Robman wrote:
"While you can use EFCs in KM, if you create keymoves in IR you must use the 2-byte hex codes."

In addition to any keymoves entered into the Keymove tab in KM, if you assign a function to a button in KM where the button name is preceded by '@', this will generate a keymove.

I am aware of this, but the fact remains that of the keymoves that were generated in KM when I filled in the button assignments for this upgrade (using Manual Settings), they were all mixed up upon loading into IR, whereas those generated in RM 1.19 imported correctly. Perhaps it's an EFC vs OBC issue, or whatever, but I've got a working upgrade, so I don't want you guys to waste any more time on this. I appreciate Jon's JVC Combo protocol (in fact two of them!) and there're others who need more help than me.

Thanks.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE AT LAST is the consolidated JVC TV Combo upgrade RM file I ultimately created. I have included every JVC TV function I could locate in the forum and included it. (THIS INCLUDES SERVICE MENU ACCESS CODES! - which I have not personally tested) Most of the traditional TV functions are device 3, while device 35 works mostly teletext type functions on my European TV, and device 15 remains an oddball, with a single function. Most JVC TV users will not require this combo, as they will only be using JVC 3 commands, but I put them all in one spot for a ready reference if someone wants it.

Thanks to Jon for the protocol upgrade, as it has saved me about 100 bytes from the Device Combiner I was previously using.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: