JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

jp1 usb - can't get ANY driver to work
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momnatur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The sys file is a system type file and wouldn't show up in a search by default. You have to go in the advanced settings tell it to look for system files, and make sure system files are not hidden in your file explorer.

I just did a test and PowerDesk finds all *.sys files in my dls4Remotes subdirectory, so that's a non-issue.

Quote:
Are you an admin on xp (and/or vista)? If not, you may not have the proper permissions to install a driver. The BSOD makes me think there are bigger issues we may not be able to solve here. I'd abandon that effort for now and try vista if I were you.

In short, yes, admin on both machines - have to be. That's the first thing I rechecked when all this happened.

I don't know how much of an issue this might be but this machine is a patch quilt of sorts... a P4 1800 ASUS motherboard with something like 1250 meg ram. Could this be too old????

Quote:
I've reinstalled many, many times over the years trying to get different versions to work on different computers, and I've actually never seen a case where the driver wouldn't install at all. I've seen it not perform correctly, but never fail to install. So I really can't explain what's going on in your case.

If all else fails, and you still have a parallel JP1 cable, we can definitely get that going in xp or vista with a parallel card. PM me if you want one cheap.

Maybe we should "talk"...
momnatur

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tennessee titan wrote:
You all keep mentioning Vista. IMHO, With Windows 7 released, there is no reason for anyone in his (or her) right mind to continue putting up with Vista.

M'dear, if you want to buy me a copy of Window$ 7 to put on both my machines, I'll gladly let you.

Money, or rather, the lack of it, is always a good reason to "put up" with what you have.
tennessee titan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You were better off with xP!
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't do this, tennessee titan.
This is getting Off topic big time.
We're trying to help momnatur, not get her new comp.

And to this moment we still don't know what system we're addressing Sad
momnatur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

- In safe mode cleaned out the registry totally of every instance where the Delcom pid was. There were multiple instances in several Control Sets,

search for "USB\VID_0FC5&PID_1222" at least in the Current Control set.
Some of these numbers will vary as the cable moves from port to port Sad
Search for ClassGUID {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000} and under it for USBIODS.sys and throw'm out.

I should delete all instances of Delcom in the registry? Even if it leaves a hole in the consecutive numbers amonst the registry keys (just checking)? Ok, I'll do that under safe mode once I do a full registry backup and reboot.

I just discovered that the pid entries also include the name of the associated oemxx.inf file. problem is that I can't find the file associated with key in the current control set - wonder what that means.... (rhetorical question.)

Quote:
- Files that are active
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\USBIODS.sys is v3.1.0.0 is in currently.
C:\WINDOWS\Inf should have one Delcom oemXX.inf which includes the classID and PID numbers I listed above.

Once those 2 are correct, when plug in the cable after rebooting, the v3 drivers work.
Not reliably (misses packets), but no more BSOD.

Where can I get my hands on the v3.1.0.0 files? Never mind that question, I just learned that the answer is the March 2007 driver set. So sorry.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

momnatur wrote:
I should delete all instances of Delcom in the registry? Even if it leaves a hole in the consecutive numbers amonst the registry keys (just checking)? Ok, I'll do that under safe mode once I do a full registry backup and reboot.

Boy, what did I get myself into Sad

I don't remember. I think you can make gaps. But what if not ?!
What I wrote above is what I have from the past.
Perhaps, for safety, review a bunch of those sequential numbers. If there's more than one reference to anything Delcom, that would show a mess.

Here is my current functioning entry, and it is the only Delcom one in that section
Quote:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{36FC9E60-C465-11CF-8056-444553540000}\0037]
"DevLoader"="*ntkern"
"NTMPDriver"="USBIODS.sys"
"InfPath"="oem39.inf"
"InfSection"="usbiods_Inst"
"InfSectionExt"=".NTx86"
"ProviderName"="Delcom Enginnering"
"DriverDateData"=hex:00,40,c5,8b,ce,51,c5,01
"DriverDate"="5-6-2005"
"DriverVersion"="3.1.0.0"
"MatchingDeviceId"="usb\\vid_0fc5&pid_1222"
"DriverDesc"="Delcom USB IO Driver"

Incidentally, there is great log, very rough to read, but informative. It's \Windows\SetupAPI.log. Start with finding the date when you were installing and then do finds for Delcom and OEM. Problem is the log contains so many error items it's really rough to figure out what's serious what's not. But the bottom line is that it shows oem number and success of installation.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides rebooting and unplugging the cable, I just remembered something else, but am not sure it was the cause of me failing to install Delcom driver - zero byte oem files.
So, make a list of all the oem files in \windows\inf directory.
If there are any files with no contents in them (zero bytes size), delete them. Perhaps even delete the precompiled files with the same number. Existence of zero-bytes oem files bit me during a firewall installation once. And something in the SetupAPI clued me in to that.

Would it help if I posted for you a segment of SetupAPI when the installation worked (if I can dig it out from backup)? Perhaps comparing your log to mine would show up what the trouble is.
momnatur

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: even more baby steps... but I'm standing Reply with quote

Elizabeth,

Please do not go to any more effort on my behalf right now. You've already gone way beyond the call of duty! And you've told me ALL the right things.

Right now, I've just rebooted from a SUCCESSFUL driver install of the March2007 driver. Hurray!

Before I started anything, I did a backup oif the registry. Then, since none of these failed installs were being used, I wiped all six keys I found that related to Delcom and then I rebooted.

Once rebooted, I did do some things differently this time. First off, I unloaded just about everything that was running (I know I know.) Then I made sure that the JP1 cable was plugged directly into an original usb port, ie not one connected to an add on card or any usb hub.) I used Dave's idea of choosing the driver, moreover, I chose the driver type too - no more i/o controler stuff. Then I watched very nerviously. I don't know if any of these steps had anything to do with the success, but I'm not complaining.

What I want to do now is see if it works. IR says that it worked, but I want to see it communicate with a remote. I'm also running out of time for today, so I don't expect to be posting anymore today.

But this is great progress and I have both you and Dave to thank for your amazing persistance!

THANK YOU!

(a few minutes later...)
Hey, GUESS WHAT.... IT WORKS IT WORKS... amazing!

I'm going to bed now... more questions are a 'comin' but not now... Thank you agian....
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news.
Here's how I test - first download and save the file. Then upload the same thing. Compare files in excel.
Yes, using a hub is a no-no. Ok though for the FTDI drivers - both jp1.3 remotes and the Widget.
keith_leitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: even more baby steps... but I'm standing Reply with quote

momnatur wrote:
Elizabeth,
(a few minutes later...)
Hey, GUESS WHAT.... IT WORKS IT WORKS... amazing!

Your success gave me hope, but it was short-lived.

Every year or so, I decide that I hate my remote enough to try this system again. None of the drivers ever, ever, ever work. At all. Not ever. No matter what I do.

I got the USB adapter from www.diygadget.com. Unfortunately, it is so long ago that I no longer remember if it is JP1, JP1.1, etc. I remember following the manufacturer's advice as to which would suit my URC-6801B00 Remote.

I am running Windows XP with SP3. When I connect the device, the only response is USB Device Not Recognised. How should this device identify itself? Perhaps it is already in the list, and I just don't know it.

There is an Unknown USB device in my list, with no driver installed, when the JP1 adapter is connected. When I attempt to manually install the device (no other software running, no automatic searches, etc.), the response to every INF file is that there is "no information" in it to match my device. I have tried the Feb-06, Sep-06, Mar-07 and Mar-08 versions of the driver, again and again and again.

I have rebooted until my boots are bleeding, and scoured this site and others for suggestions. Anyone even slightly less autistic than I would have given up years ago, but all of your successes keep me strong.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you open the USB cable and take a picture of the circuitry inside? Take pics of both sides of the PCB.

I'm not familiar with what parts DIY used for these cables, and of course, it's entirely possible that you just have a bad cable and/or a bad remote. Is the URC-6801 the Cinema 6? If so, that remote just had holes rather than a 6-pin, so someone would have had to solder a 6-pin into the remote. So maybe the 6-pin wasn't soldered in properly.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my eeprom usb cable from diygadgets too. I use the software version 3.1.0.0 on XP the same as Elizabeth is recommending here.
I have just gone over to diygadget and am finding that none of the zip files contain the 3.1.0.0 file that seems to work the best. All the links over there are for version 4.6 or later, and it seems to me that there was a lot of chatter about that not being the best version to use.

I'd recommend this file for your drivers.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2712

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.

Last edited by vickyg2003 on Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
keith_leitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Could you open the USB cable and take a picture of the circuitry inside? Take pics of both sides of the PCB.

I'm not familiar with what parts DIY used for these cables, and of course, it's entirely possible that you just have a bad cable and/or a bad remote. Is the URC-6801 the Cinema 6? If so, that remote just had holes rather than a 6-pin, so someone would have had to solder a 6-pin into the remote. So maybe the 6-pin wasn't soldered in properly.

Thanks for your prompt reply. It is the Cinema 6, but I had a connector soldered into the holes by a professional electrical engineer whom I trust. While anything is possible, I doubt that this is the problem.

I will try to organise some pictures. In the meantime, the chipset in use is numbered

CY7C63001C-PXC
0713 G 23 9D1158

which is an old chip from Cypress Semiconductors.
keith_leitch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
I'd recommend this file for your drivers.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=2712

Thanks very much for your reply, but I have tried the USBIODS driver from this page many times, to no avail.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cable should be recognized even if there is no remote attached.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: