JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Inteset / Insignia / Sanyo / Nexus JP1 remote
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jchiso

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ordered two of what I thought were the backlit Insignia models from the MCM Electronics link above, but received models identified as NS-RC06A-11, which are not backlit. It seems all of the backlit variations are gone, which is terrible for me, because that was my only reason for ordering these two.
dnick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Insignia remote new over a year ago and some of the buttons no longer function. What would be the best way to fix it?
jchiso

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an e-mail response from MCM confirming that the only Insignia remotes they have now are non-backlit.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a good source for these direct from best buy parts for $18. HERE's what should be the backlit model.
jchiso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
I found a good source for these direct from best buy parts for $18. HERE's what should be the backlit model.

The only problem is that they only cross-reference the TV model, so there's no guarantee that it is backlit. This is the same case as MCM.
snorkel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a FYI, I just got one from partstore.com and I got a ns-rc06a-11 no back light. It has all the keys for the back light but nothing.

It's a great little remote, but with out the backlight.....
jchiso

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snorkel wrote:
... It's a great little remote, but with out the backlight.....

Thanks for the info. I suspected as much. I really don't see the purpose of making these things without the backlight. It adds so much functionality for so little cost...
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backlights are relatively expensive -- not less than $.50 per remote. That's at least $2 at the end user.

If many people felt that backlighting were an important feature on a remote, manufacturers would surely accomodate them. I guess that the great majority of people either don't use remotes in the dark, or remember where the volume button is.
PhracturedBlue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone disassembled one of these? I have an RC06A-11 (non-backlit) but i really need the backlight if I want to replace my aging 8910.

I figured that either they used the same circuit board and I could install a backlight, or I could jury rig something. But I'm stuck figuring out how to take it apart without ruining it. I don't know where the detents are that usually hold these types of remotes together, and prying at random tends to destroy the case.
toddby

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I needed to open my NS-RC01G-09 (non-backlit) today to clean the contacts under the OK/ENTER button. Here's what I found...

Photos below show where the clips are. To open you'll need something that's thin but reasonably stiff and soft so as not to mark the case. Spudgers are the proper tool but since I don't have any I just cut some plastic strips (about 2cm x 10cm) from an icecream or milk container. Position the spudger (or thin plastic strip) at one of the side clip locations, push it into the gap between the case halves, then push it towards the bottom case half and it should unlatch the clip. Leave that spudger in place to prevent the clip closing, grab more spudgers and unlatch the other clips the same way. It actually came apart easier than I thought it would except for the two clips on the bottom end of the remote (closest to the battery compartment). I didn't realize these are the reverse of all the other clips -- you have to push your spudger up in the direction of the upper case half.

Once it's apart you'll find that the circuit board has pads to mount 8 LEDs. Easy enough to solder LEDs in place, however, inside my remote the plastic interlay (for want of a better word) between the pcb and keypad is grey plastic. I guess, on a backlit remote this is transparent plastic, right? So this would have to be replaced to make it make it backlit.

So anyone converting this remote to a backlit would need to make a new interlay from clear acrylic. Not too difficult as it just requires cutting the basic shape and drilling a lot of (mainly) round holes. The grey plastic is about 1.5 to 1.7mm thick (2mm replacement acrylic *might* be too thick).

If I can source some clear acrylic I might try this sometime in the future.

Not being familiar with backlit remotes... is a coloured backlight created by coloured LEDs or by a tinted acrylic interlay and white light LEDs?

Also, is there a particular surface mount LED that should be used in these remotes?

Last edited by toddby on Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
PhracturedBlue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! That was an amazingly through and helpful reply. I'll rip mine apart and see what's going on. My other backlit remotes do indeed have translucent (lightly frosted) plastic panels. This is something a mini-cnc machine would make light work out of. too bad I don't have one.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw THIS backlit version of the subject remote for $8 shipped if anyone is still looking for one.
matt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have the dimensions of this remote?

Thanks!
tranx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt wrote:
Does anybody have the dimensions of this remote?

Thanks!

Hi matt

W50mm x L195mm x D30mm at the deepest, battery end.
The back is sinuous along its length and and curved in section.

Although it is smaller than most, the buttons are reasonably large, bigger than e.g. the otherwise quite similar but longer RCA RCRPO5BR

I just ordered another, hope it will be ok, don't think it is backlit, $13.80 incl p&p from China but won't send to a long list of countries
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261097170310?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Regards
Chris
matt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Chris!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - New Remotes & RDFs All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: