JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"No remote found" with homemade JP1.2 cable
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
srwalter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: "No remote found" with homemade JP1.2 cable Reply with quote

I built the three transistor version of the JP1.x (flash) serial cable, and have had no luck getting it to work. When I hook everything up and run jp1xtest.exe, the remote control "reboots" (all segments light on the LCD) and the LED blinks twice. The remote is an RS 15-100. However, the computer reports "**** NO JP1.x COMPATIBLE REMOTE FOUND! ****". I've tried with both a pl2303-based USB adapter and directly to a serial port.

Here's the output from Debug_Tester.exe:
http://pastebin.com/f64f457c3

From what I can gather from the above output, I'm not getting any data back from the remote. Interestingly, if I hook a scope up to either pin 2 of the DB9 or pin 6 of the remote, I do see logic transistions.

Ideas?
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 'srwalter' and welcome to the JP1 forums!

I took a look at your output and see that 'jp1xtest.exe' tried both types of interfaces (the DTR-controls-reset type followed by the RTS-controls-reset type) on COM1 but got no response from either technique.

Now, given that you've built the 3-transistor interface (for the JP1.2/JP1.3 remotes, I assume), it's the 2nd of those 2 techniques which should have succeeded. Since it failed, my best guess at this point (assuming you're running with good, strong batteries in the remote) is that your interface is miswired somehow. Can you visually re-check all your connections and, if practical, post a picture of your interface wiring for us to inspect?

I'm sure we can figure this out.....

Bill
srwalter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have visually rechecked the wiring, and I can't see any problems. here's a photo:

http://twitpic.com/rd8rv

The DB9 is connected at the bottom left, 7-5-4-3-2 from left to right. the remote connect is at the top left, 6-4-3-2-1 from left to right. All transistors are 2N2222, all diodes 1N4149, all resistors 4.7k.
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken a preliminary look at your photo. Even at full resolution, it's hard to be sure of the wiring because it's a bit out-of-focus and the angle makes some things hard to see.

However, based on the pinout of the 2N2222 transistor, I think, as a minimum, you've got all 3 of the transistors wired backwards. in other words, in your picture, they appear to be wired as if the pins were EBC but they're really CBE. If you merely flip the transistors 180 degrees, you may have a working circuit.

Regardless of your success or failure, please let us know. If that doesn't fix the problem, try taking another photo or 2 from a different angle and I'll take a closer look.

Good luck!

Bill
srwalter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that they *are* EBC transistors. At least, when placed into my DMM with the flat side down, that's how it identifies them. However, in the interest of completeness, I swapped them all around. Now I get the following output from debug_tester.exe:

http://pastebin.com/m482cee5d

Thanks again for you help
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...

That new output shows that there is a single byte reply (0x00), which is not the expected reply to a 'ping'. That doesn't really help much in determining transistor orientation, does it? Smile I guess if you have electrical evidence that your original orientation is correct, you should probably stick with it. I don't know if I have any 2N2222 transistors on hand to try myself.

Before I forget, what operating system are you running on? That code you're running from Tommy Tyler's utility pack is using the old library code, which is seriously broken for Linux users (like myself).

FYI, that utility attempts to put the remote into "serial comm" mode, then sends it a 'ping' command ('E' character, which I think of as 'Echo'). It's supposed to reply with ASCII 'ACK' (0x06). If it does, you can be pretty sure there's a JP1.x remote at the other end.

Since your remote isn't replying correctly with either transistor orientation, I'll take another look at that 1st photo to see if anything else looks wrong. It may be wise to take another photo from another angle if you can, so that some of the hidden connections in that 1st photo are visible.

Bill
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay I know nothing about the hardware end of what we do here in JP1 land, but I do know that you need to becareful about pin5 on JP1.3 remotes. I can't even look at a drawing or picture and understand if that has been done or not. If what I'm reading is correct it sounds like you are getting some sort of response from the remot. In that case I'd say do a 981 factory reset to see if the remote gets more talkative. But realize that I know NOTHING about this end of things.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
srwalter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WagonMaster wrote:

Before I forget, what operating system are you running on? That code you're running from Tommy Tyler's utility pack is using the old library code, which is seriously broken for Linux users (like myself).

I'm running debug_tester.exe under wine in Linux. Using RMIR also does not detect a remote. Is there a native linux binary for debug tester?

Here's some additional photos:
http://twitpic.com/re7cj
http://twitpic.com/re7gm
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srwalter wrote:
I'm running debug_tester.exe under wine in Linux. Using RMIR also does not detect a remote. Is there a native linux binary for debug tester?

No, but I could probably whip something up for you to use natively.

But while I look into that and check the photos you've just posted, can you check: Is there anything connected to DB-9 pin #7 (on the extreme left edge)? I can't see anything in the 1st photo.

Bill
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, on further thought, since you're running it under Wine, the bugs in the library code won't affect you. It was only when running RMIR under Linux (i.e. with Java calling the native Linux library) that there were problems, but those were fixed a while back. Sorry for the false alarm on that. It's hard to remember all the nuances sometimes! Smile

Oh, and Vicky... JP1 pin #5 is not an issue in this case since he's wisely left it out, as implied by his 2nd post.

Bill
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratch that question on DB-9 pin #7. I can now see the wire in the new photo. It took a while to get those photos on a dial-up connection! Smile

Looking at circuit more now....

Bill
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've looked at the new photos, which help somewhat.

Although all of those photos are rather fuzzy, making it impossible to be 100% sure, I cannot see anything wrong in your wiring, assuming you've flipped the transistors back around to the EBC way from the DMM report. (By the way, I did an Internet search on the 2N2222 orientation and it seems that there are conflicting reports [EBC versus CBE], so I don't really know what to believe. I took a look in my parts tray and found no 2N2222 parts, so I can't even test it myself.)

I wish I could give you a better idea of what might be wrong here. It still could be the circuit, but I can't find any hard evidence of that. Are you sure the 2N2222 transistors are good? Got any spares to try?

Oh, and until this is solved, I'd stick to using a bare RS-232 port and avoid any USB adapters. I have one that works (IoGear GUC-232A) and one that fails (Belkin F5U109).

Bill
srwalter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there anyway to tell if the remote is actually going into serial comms mode or not? Do the two LED blinks indicate anything?
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srwalter wrote:
Is there anyway to tell if the remote is actually going into serial comms mode or not?

No way that's obvious to a casual observer. Basically, if it is in serial comm mode, it will reply to commands, the simplest of which is the aforementioned 'E' command, to which it replies with ASCII 'ACK' (0x06). If it doesn't reply to the 'E' command with 'ACK', you essentially must assume that the remote is not in serial comm mode.

srwalter wrote:
Do the two LED blinks indicate anything?

When you "reset" the remote (which will take it out of serial comm mode and put it into "normal operating mode"), you'll see the 2 LED blinks. On a JP1.3 remote like your RS 15-100, you'd leave JP1 pin#4 ('/Rx') high and strobe JP1 pin #2 ('/RESET') and the remote would reset. As you can see, on your JP1.x interface, RTS controls the reset line (JP1 pin #2). When you put the remote into serial comm mode, it's the same sequence, but a UART 'BREAK' is set and held to drive JP1 pin #4 low before cycling the 'reset' pin.

You don't happen to have any 2N3904 transistors handy, do you? I built one of my interfaces with those and it works fine.

If you have no luck with this, I might be able to hack something together to give you more insight as to what is happening. (I've been meaning to make some better utilities for command-line users anyway.) But until then, you might want to play with a Windows utility called 'comtest.exe', which allows you to manually control DTR and RTS (but, sadly, not the UART 'BREAK' condition). It would allow you to manually send a 'reset' command to the remote by cycling 'RTS', in which case you should consistently see 2 LED flashes. If that doesn't work, your interface is probably suspect still. It's a pretty simple utility and will probably run under Wine, but I cannot recall if I've run it under Wine myself or not.

Bill
srwalter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WagonMaster wrote:

When you "reset" the remote (which will take it out of serial comm mode and put it into "normal operating mode"), you'll see the 2 LED blinks. On a JP1.3 remote like your RS 15-100, you'd leave JP1 pin#4 ('/Rx') high and strobe JP1 pin #2 ('/RESET') and the remote would reset. As you can see, on your JP1.x interface, RTS controls the reset line (JP1 pin #2). When you put the remote into serial comm mode, it's the same sequence, but a UART 'BREAK' is set and held to drive JP1 pin #4 low before cycling the 'reset' pin.

From the above, it sounds like if I manually pulled pin 4 to ground, and then momentarily connected pin 2 to ground, I should not see any LED blinks. However, if I perform this procedure, I do see two blinks and the remote is normally operational. Does that mean that pin 4 is not correctly connected inside the remote? Realize that with the RS 15-100 I had to add a ribbon cable to the PCB in order to access the JP1 pins.

I'll check and see if I have any other NPN transistors to try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: