JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

JP1.2/3 unable to open device-- check connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: JP1.2/3 unable to open device-- check connection Reply with quote

This is my first time on any forum so please bear with my mistakes.
Equipment JP1.2 206003 interface by Tommy Tyler,Comcast 3 device JP3 remote I.R. exe software.
I have passed all of the tests in trouble shooting a USB Jp1.2/3 interface.
Following is the read out from JP1.test program from Tommy Tyler.
found a JP1.X compatible remote on com3
signature = 30393039
memory address = $ 0600
memory size = $0600 (3072)
advanced settings for com3
transfer size 4096
bm options 16
time outs 00
misc. options serial emulator
I have tried using different drive software from FTDI CDM2.06.00.zip and 20600.exe
Also have tried changing to many different com ports all to no avail problem still there.
Could somebody please tell me what I am missing or not doing something correctly. Thanks
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. It would appear that the interface is working when using jp1xtest. 30393039 is the signature of the Comcast 1067BX3 remote. That success also shows that the cable is plugged in corrrectly and is basically working.

I'm using IR version 8.01, and it gives this error message when the cable is disconnected from the remote or the computer: "Failed to open JP1.x interface." Are you getting a different message? Please quote it exactly, and check Help on the menu to find out the version number of IR that you're using.

I believe that 2.06.00 is the correct version of FTDI dirver
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, "oldgrouch"! Nice nickname... Smile

Have you checked the 'IR.exe' setting under the "Interface" menu item? Your remote is a JP1.3 variety, so you should make sure that the "JP1.x(Serial or USB-Serial)" option is selected. Once you've verified that, please select "Interface", "Check Interface..." and see what happens.

The message that I see in the 'IR.exe' source code is: "Unable to open device. Please check connection" but I cannot immediately confirm if my suggestion will fix that problem.

Check it out and let us know, please. If that's not it, I'm sure we can figure it out. Good luck!

Bill
WagonMaster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a deeper look at this....

If you're getting the error I mentioned above, it seems to be coming from the code that's trying to access the Delcom USB driver. If you have the correct interface for a JP1.3 remote, it should be using the FTDI USB driver, not the Delcom USB driver, if I'm not mistaken. I know you said you tried FTDI driver software, but did you ever have the Delcom driver on this PC (e.g. maybe for an older JP1 interface)? I ask because 'IR.exe' seems to think the Windows registry entry for it ("System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Delcom\USBIODS\Parameters") is present. So if you have the Delcom driver and can live without it, I'd try to uninstall it, if you can.

I don't understand what you mean by "Equipment JP1.2 206003 interface by Tommy Tyler". What is the meaning of "206003"? Is that a reference to Tommy's interface or the FTDI software driver version?

You should also report to the forum the results of "Interface", "Driver Status...". It should say something about the drivers, including the Delcom USB device driver.

The maintainer for 'IR.exe' is 'mathdon' and he should be able to give you a better answer (but he's on U.K. time) than I can about this, but it would be wise for you to gather for him all the information that 3FG and I have asked about. Also, what operating system are you running?

Bill

Last edited by WagonMaster on Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is simple. Bill tells me that what you have posted so far comes from using IR.exe version 6.15. Support for JP1.1, JP1.2 and JP1.3 remotes was not added till version 7.00. When you upgrade to the current version (8.01), all should be well. But please report what you find when you upgrade, as it is always nice to know when a problem has been resolved.
oldgrouch

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: UPDATE Reply with quote

Hi Graham
Thank you for your help.Everything is working great not only the 3 device Comcast but also the RS 15-1994 remote
Thanks again
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: