JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kameleon URC-8060 Extender
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:21 pm    Post subject: Kameleon URC-8060 Extender Reply with quote

While I'm waiting for my JP1 interface cable to arrive I thought I'd ask a question. From what I can understand the majority, if not all, the One-For-All brand of remotes will not allow you to assign macros, or even single functions, to the device select keys, for example to automatically switch an AV Amp to that device. However Extenders allow you to do this.

So is there an Extender available for the Kameleon URC-8060 (European version of the Kameleon) that will enable this functionality? I did a quick search but I could not see any discussion on this specific remote.

Richard
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no extender currently available for the 8060. However, I'm fairly certain you can put macros on the device buttons using JP1.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there is no specific extender for the 8060. From appearence the 8060 and the US RS 15-2133 are very similar but looking closer there are enough differences that I don't think it would work but worth a try and would not cause any more trouble then having to reset it or reload the original IR file. I would think that the extender could be ported given some time and a remote to test on. Maybe someone who has both will volunteer.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, now that Nils is the official expert on Kameleon extenders, someone will send him a URC-8060 to play with???
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
Maybe, now that Nils is the official expert on Kameleon extenders, someone will send him a URC-8060 to play with???
Good try Rob.... Laughing Truth of the matter is that I would probably do it if I had one since this seems like an easy port and good for "extra credits" on this forum Laughing
RichardP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could anyone confirm or otherwise that you can program macros on the device keys using JP1 with the Kameleon? I assume that if you can with the US RS 15-2133 then you will be able to do so with the 8060. If not then can you do it with the RS 15-2133 extender?

Nils, with the extender for the RS 15-2133 can you change the default key set that is displayed when you press a device button? For example, could you change the default Sat key set so that it displayed the PVR controls on the first press rather than the set that does not have the cursor control keys or VCR type controls? I have a Sky+ satellite box which relies heavily on both these key sets for normal use so the first thing you have to do after selecting the Sat device is press the PVR key. Thinking about it, presumably you could add the PVR key press to the Macro on the Sat device button.

Also the remote that I have is a recent one which appears to be far less sensitive to movement than some of the earlier reports. It appears to be more than simply sensitivity to movement. Sometimes you can pick it up and really shake it and it does not activate, other times you just touch it and it comes on. Is the control algorithm for motion detection modifiable with these remotes?

I'm a programmer by profession so when I get the JP1 cable and know a little more on this topic I may be able to mod the RS 15-2133 extender to work with the 8060. If I can't figure it out then maybe I'll just ship of my remote to Nils and let him try!

Richard
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RichardP wrote:
Could anyone confirm or otherwise that you can program macros on the device keys using JP1 with the Kameleon? I assume that if you can with the US RS 15-2133 then you will be able to do so with the 8060. If not then can you do it with the RS 15-2133 extender?
It does not look like you can put macros on the device keys even with jp1. With the extender you definitely can.

RichardP wrote:
Nils, with the extender for the RS 15-2133 can you change the default key set that is displayed when you press a device button? For example, could you change the default Sat key set so that it displayed the PVR controls on the first press rather than the set that does not have the cursor control keys or VCR type controls? I have a Sky+ satellite box which relies heavily on both these key sets for normal use so the first thing you have to do after selecting the Sat device is press the PVR key. Thinking about it, presumably you could add the PVR key press to the Macro on the Sat device button.
With the 2133 extender you can use discrete screen command to start at a different than the default screen. This is however, only for the screens within the device selected. In other words you can not make a VCR screen display in CBL mode.

RichardP wrote:
Also the remote that I have is a recent one which appears to be far less sensitive to movement than some of the earlier reports. It appears to be more than simply sensitivity to movement. Sometimes you can pick it up and really shake it and it does not activate, other times you just touch it and it comes on. Is the control algorithm for motion detection modifiable with these remotes?
It looks like they made the same change to all Kameleons with the later models/revisions. I am hearing many reports about later models being hard to get out of sleep mode with motion. So far I have found no way to make the later models more sensitive via software but I am still trying. There may be a way to do it at the hardware level but I have not dug into one for that purpose yet.
RichardP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Nils.

Looks like I'll be in at the deep end trying to get the 2133 extender ported to the 8060 when my JP1 cable arrives!
silron1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that I have shifted macros on all my device keys on my Kameleon 6 (Eur)

Also I have tried using extender 2133 with the 8060 - I found it did not work.

Nils- how long would you need to keep the 8060 if I sent it to you to borrow?

Ron
RichardP

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silron1 wrote:
I can confirm that I have shifted macros on all my device keys on my Kameleon 6 (Eur)

Ron,

What to you mean by 'shifted macros' on the device keys?

Do you have macros that are executed when you press the magic button followed by the device key, or have you defined macros that are executed directly on the device keys that have been shifted using the key shift facility? I assumed that you programmed these using JP1.

Richard
silron1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I programmed everything with JP1.

I have set up the macros to open all devices required to operate with the specified device and in the case of shift-Sat it upens Sky at ch 101 (BBC!) together with my DVD for surround sound at the correct input and my Plasma Screen also at the correct input for the broadcast picture.

On the 8060 you perform shift by first pressing the 'magic' key followed by the device required.

Ron
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

silron1 wrote:
Ron
Not to worry Ron I have one on the way.

Knowing that shifted functions on the device buttons work is good news. That helps me understand the 8060 better.
RichardP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nils_Ekberg wrote:
silron1 wrote:
Ron
Not to worry Ron I have one on the way.

Knowing that shifted functions on the device buttons work is good news. That helps me understand the 8060 better.

Nils,

Any rough idea of when you might have a first cut of a 8060 extender?

Richard
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first version is written and I am just waiting for the remote that Rob arranged for me to get to arrive to test it. I am hopeing it gets here today or tomorrow. Depending on how poorly I coded it for the first cut it may be as soon as a day or two or longer if I did real bad.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob or Mark. Could you move this to the extender forum and I can use it as a base there. Or just lock it and I will create a new post for testing.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: