JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New member w/15-2117 and an ir ipod dock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goldman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: New member w/15-2117 and an ir ipod dock Reply with quote

Hi, long-time 15-2117 owner, first time poster. Never dipped a toe into anything other than mfg delivered functionality. Finally bumped into something I can't assign a code to, or "learn" a function to a key....an ir ipod dock. Before I invest time and money into this process, will I be able to program this remote with jp1 to work this dock? That is once I buy cable, download and learn software and protocols, and either find a code or program one myself? (load question!)

I'm amazed at the longevity of the forum! and the remote! What have I been missing not making this remote open the windows and flush the can?

greg

[code][/code]
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Goldman,

What brand Idock do you have?

Also is the 15-2117 modem updatable?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived on the 2117 for quite a while. It is NOT modem updatable, but is CERTAINLY upgradable to operate any IR-controllable device.

I am surprised that you cannot learn any of the idock functions, however.

Once you have the cable (I highly recommend Tommy Tyler's USB cables) you should try the learns again and download what you get for someone to take a look.

Have you made sure that your learning technique is solid? Even if you have previous success with learning, some IR signals are more tolerant of error, so even with bad technique, you may get a successful learn. This may be one of those LESS tolerant signals where technique is really important (not to mention well-charged batteries in both the sending and receiving remotes)

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Apple remote uses a protocol that I do not believe is recognized by any of the tools.

There's several iPod upgrades in the File Section. This one has a custom protocol that supports some of the advanced features.
goldman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try fresh batteries and my technique (however I can effect it) I do get a success and the key doesn't work or an 'invalid" I was mapping the channel up/down for an audio device to perform track forward/reverse. I also tried the skip buttons and play/stop without good results. I also tried mapping a device to misc audio device code 1218, but got an error unknown or something.

If I get the cable, would the USB work? I thought the remote is jp1 1.0. I'd greatly prefer the USB, as the parallel interface would require booting up an old, seldom used computer and attempting to download all the tools to it.

What I'm hearing is if it has an IR control, the jp1 will allow me to control it with my universal remote, no qualifications?
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldman, BEFORE you buy a cable, you should know that EEPROM JP1 remotes are becoming scarce, and flash remotes are the new thing. You need a JP1 EEPROm cable to work with your old remote BUT this will not work with the new remotes. Since the cable is more expensive than the remotes, you should think about which type of technology you want to pursue.

old JP1 remotes use EEPROM JP1 cable

new JP1.2 & JP1.3 use a Flash cable

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
goldman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some sage advice, upgrade!

So I just walk into the local shack, look for a remote with the pluggy, buy a USB cable, and I'm golden?

I actually like the old big black remote. It fits my hand nicely, buttons are reasonably large , tactile, and intuitive. Up until now it's met all my needs. Maybe the new remote will work with the Ipod dock....hmmm

The ipod dock was the upgrade, now remote? cable? other? I had been using an rf only remote for the ipod. Worked well enough, but needed 2 remotes. Now, can you program the UEI remote to broadcast rf? (wishful thinking)

The more I think about this, I get more excited about picking up a remote that you programed yourself, so it makes sense to yourself! If you don't like the way it works, change it!.

You have to wonder what someone one is thinkin' when they build OEM! I don't mean to offend...but little buttons to squeeze more on remote? Three point font? On/off, play/pause, switch device...just about covers what I need, but I'm not a genius or engineer.

URC-6690 looks cool, but no cables available?

one of these:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2454734

looks like mine with a nice paint job...I'll have to think or take a trip to the 'Shack.

Cheers!
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dash your hopes, but that one doesn't have pins either. But all is not lost. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can add pins yourself, but it's a challenge. Tommy Tyler used to sell a kit for the modification. HERE's one already modified, assuming it's still available. The new RCA RCRP05B at best buy is a nice JP1.3 remote with pins. There are a few other JP1.3 remotes in the Marketplace forum pretty cheap as well.

I'm not certain, but I believe you can use a pogo pin adapter with the URC-6690, without having to add pins.

Don't know if you're using RF on your 2117 or not, but you'd lose that with a newer model.

EDIT: Looks like Vicky and I were typing at the same time. Great document, by the way, Vicky.

Last edited by mdavej on Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldman,

the 15-100 is a nice remote, but it requires a difficult modification. If you decide on this one, I'd check the marketplace here to buy one that is premodified. The other new RadioShack remotes have tiny buttons. However there is a new cable replacement remote the RCA or the OneforAll remote.

Here is a word Document with the
pictures of current U.S. Remotes. There is also the Atlas OCAP with "learning" that is a real popular remote here on the forum. but they are getting hard to find.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15-100 is a very good remote, but it requires a difficult hardware mod in order for it to be programmed using JP1, and it requires a more modern JP1 (Flash) cable.

You should stick with the 15-2117 if you like it and get yourself a JP1 (EEPROM) cable. Either get a USB cable from Tommy or a parallel cable from DIY.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=4
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not certain, but I believe you can use a pogo pin adapter with the URC-6690, without having to add pins.

There we go again with the 6's and the 9's. Gee Dave I thought I was the only one. The URC-6690 is the Hybrid jp1.2 complete with piins, the URC-6960 is the kameleon that needs the pogo pins.

I never could get enthused over the kameleons or hybrids, I like hard button remotes.

mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't blame my dyslexia this time Wink The chart shows pads for both. If you're certain, I'll fix it next time around.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a URC-6690 HYBRID and it hass the 6pin connector. I can't remember where I got it, but even if I bought it from Rob, his website doesn't say anything about Mods. So yeah I'm 99% sure that the JP1.2 6690 is ready out of the box.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far, all JP1.x remotes are ready out of the box.

UEI should be shot for using those two model numbers, and both for Kameleons!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to the OP, although the recent posts have all focused on getting you a NEW remote, if you like the 2117 (which is an awesome remote) and it serves your purposes, and is working properly, then I strongly suggest just buying a JP1 (EEPROM) USB cable from Tommy. It's a work of art, and you will be able to program your 2117 to do whatever you need (IR-wise) for quite some time. Although the JP1 EEPROM remotes are getting scarce, their support in these fora is by far the most mature and robust, and you would need to buy just the cable, as opposed to a remote AND a cable.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: